Why is bouldering easier in winter

By Adam Lazaro
From Hiram, Ga
Dec 21, 2011
Im new to climbing and live in Atlanta. Was reading some comments about boat rock and some people mentioned some problems would be v2 in winter but v3 in summer. I can't think of any reason why bouldering is easier/better in the winter. Thanks for the help

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Dec 21, 2011
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Idk. Some people say cold rock produces better friction on your shoe rubber. And... GA is ungodly hot in the summer. Less sweat & fatigue maybe?

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 21, 2011
Stabby
Shoe rubber is way firmer, far less likely to sweat through your hands thus not greasing up the holds. Fall and Winter are project sending temps.

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Dec 21, 2011
The friction coefficient between shoe rubber and the rock increases as temperature decreases...to a point around 30 degrees or so. In otherwords, your shoes grip better on the rock when its colder, especially the slabby climbs that dominate Boat Rock. I've sent V4 like it was V1 at BR during the comp, but then I try that same climb in the summer and get absolutely no friction to send. There was a good article on the friction coefficient and how its affected by temp and how it varies from different shoe rubber companies (at the time of the article, Evolv had the best rubber for friction by far) floating around on the net a few years ago...I'm sure if you dig deep enough and enjoy reading about physics, that this article will help out your understanding. Hope this helps a little and enjoy Boat Rock (its one of my favorite boulderfields) while those temps are prime!!!

By Lanky
From Portland, ME
Dec 21, 2011
More friction and less sweat. Dry hands + dry rock + cold rubber = easier to hold/stand on small holds.

By Blake Cash
Dec 21, 2011
Have you been outside in the SE in July/August? Now how about in December/January? That is why bouldering in the SE is easier in the winter...hell, just existing is easier.

By Adam Lazaro
From Hiram, Ga
Dec 21, 2011
Ha, I was expecting more comments like the last one. I am fairly new to Atlanta area so I figured climbing was more comfortable in the winter, but didn't think that was enough to lower the V rating of a problem. The cold = better friction makes sense now though. Never would have guessed that. Thanks for the answers.

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
Dec 21, 2011
mike
Can't believe no one told you to read freedom of the hills.

By fat cow
From St. Paul, MN
Dec 21, 2011
perfect seam
corny this thread is young yet, someone would have gotten to it, but now all is lost.

By Josh.Wood
From New York City
Apr 11, 2012
Depends on where you live. Those who have attempted to climb outside in the Northeast in the winter know that although your footing may improve, your finger strength is nonexistent.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Apr 11, 2012
Mathematical!

I'm not saying I'm right, but can anyone explain why cold is better?

By M Sprague
From New England
Apr 11, 2012
Taylor Ogden wrote:
Several comments that shoe rubber preforms better (is more sticky) at cold temps, but that seems backwards to me. My common sense tells me that as rubber warms up it becomes a bit more maleable and therefore better suited to creating friction with the rock. Think cold silly putty vs. warm silly putty. Which is stickier? I'm not saying I'm right, but can anyone explain why cold is better?

Being softer and more maleable makes it deform = lose grip. Think of your fingers on and edge. If they bend up, you lose your grip. The rubber needs to be malliable to mold over the grain of the rock, but not deform.

By JohnWesely
From Red River Gorge
Apr 11, 2012
Gunking
My best ever day at Boat Rock was in July after a trail day. I still don't understand it.

By Devin Krevetski
From West Woodstock, VT
Apr 11, 2012
Your beanie doesn't make you overheat like in the Summer

By Noah Fogel
From Cbad CA
Apr 11, 2012
me
when its 30 degrees and dry man you can hold slopers that seem impossible hard to believe until you try it.