Who wants to get Kelly Canyon Rd opened again?

By JJ Schlick
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 24, 2012
JJ Schlick on first ropeless ascent of Cranium Crack .12 Watson Lake, Prescott, AZ.  1999

Well, many of you have heard the sad news that the new Forest Service road closures has already struck pretty close to home here in Flagstaff. Kelly Canyon Rd., which offers the only really good access to the bouldering at the top of the canyon, has been closed to motorized travel.

Whether you have tasted the gritty slopers of Kelly Canyon or not, please consider taking a moment to fill out the bottom of this form www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/coconino/landmanagement/projects/>>>, asking for alternatives to this gate closure.

There are an awful lot of climbers around, maybe it's time we try throwing a little weight around?

Foot travel from the interstate exit is still allowed.........

By Chris Bastek
May 25, 2012

Done! It was super easy and fast to fill out. Thanks for posting it up JJ. I don't go there that often but know lots that do. It's a nice escape form the heat some and some excellent bouldering for sure!

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
May 25, 2012
MLB

I'm an out of towner... when you say 'foot travel from the interstate' what does that mean exactly? Also, I would be happy to comment. Would I just say the Kelly Canyon Rd? Do you just park right off the interstate now? Forgive my ignorance, I've only been there once but was looking to taste the gritty slopers again this weekend.

By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
May 25, 2012
Awesomeness!

Done!

Do you know why it is closed?

It is listed here: Road Status as "Open".

Let me know what I can do to help. My craving for Coconino Sandstone and cool temps must be satiated!

By JJ Schlick
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 25, 2012

Right on guys, thanks for helping. MIYG, you can park at the gate, and walk in, but off hand I would say it is three miles or so to the descent into the canyon. I could be very wrong about that, but even the drive in takes a little while. The truly devoted could make the flat hike in without to much fuss, but it certainly changes the game out there.

By Red
From Arizona
May 29, 2012
Cobra Kai

Done. Bump.

By Mark Mueller
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 29, 2012
Great quality rock on this one!

Done.

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
May 30, 2012
Trying to redpoint The Ugly 11c; steeper than it looks and the rock is scary in spots but good enough.

did it too!

By ClimbPHX.com
From Mesa AZ
May 30, 2012
Final Pitch on Birdland - 5.7 Red Rocks

Done ... and done

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 30, 2012
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord

bump

By Derek Schroeder
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 1, 2012
Bowling Pin, Bishop CA

Yup!

By Red
From Arizona
Oct 4, 2012
Cobra Kai

bump

By Nicholas Oxentenko
Oct 4, 2012
twister roof, Flagstaff, AZ

I noticed there is a USGS lock on the gate, hypothetically if someone had such a key and were to unlock the gate, locking it behind them and drive in and park at the top of Kelly would that be so wrong?

done. bump.

By Red
From Arizona
Oct 5, 2012
Cobra Kai

hypothetically, how would one acquire said key?

By K-Tanz
Oct 5, 2012
Leading up pitch 2 of Moby Dick, Cochise Stronghold, AZ

Did it!

By Nicholas Oxentenko
Oct 6, 2012
twister roof, Flagstaff, AZ

I have said key!

By mcarizona
From Flag
Oct 6, 2012

I filled this out. As well,when the TMP started, there was a protest petition on MP that a lot of us responded to. Who did that,and what happened to the signatures/meeting/outcome???

Steve

By Eric D
From Gnarnia
Oct 8, 2012
Born again on the last move of the Red Dihedral, high Sierras.

By jackson
Oct 8, 2012

FYI, the road you turn on at .9 mile is not a legal road according to the motor vehicle use map. to be compliant one would have to park and walk from here.

Eric D wrote:
We found some easy access to Kelly from the other side of the canyon. It takes only 5 minutes more than the old approach. Take the Kachina exit off of 17, west towards the gas station next to the highway. Immediately before the gas station is an old paved road, take a left on that as it briefly parallels the highway. It bends right and goes over a cattle guard. From the cattle guard, go .9 miles and take a left on a dirt road. Go .5 miles and park at a tiny spot on the right. If the road continues at 0 degrees and right is 90, hike at about 60 degrees for a few minutes until you hit a small ridge line and old road. Follow the ridge until it starts to drop down more steeply and then trend right to the bottom of the canyon.

By Eric D
From Gnarnia
Oct 8, 2012
Born again on the last move of the Red Dihedral, high Sierras.

Could be right, but I'm not so sure. There was a Forest Service road sign on it, road 9498A if I remember correctly.

By jackson
Oct 9, 2012

Eric D wrote:

in the case of 9498A you are correct as it is upon the map, however, just because a road is signed and numbered on the ground does not necessarily make it an open road. link to road map if one looks at the map of open roads and does not see the handy numbered road you are about to drive upon said map, well there is your answer.

By Eric D
From Gnarnia
Oct 9, 2012
Born again on the last move of the Red Dihedral, high Sierras.

Oookay. Well, per my original post looks like we are good to go with some easy access to Kelly.

By CarFar
From Flagstaff, AZ
Oct 9, 2012

I have it on the in from a FS employee that come next year the road will be open again. He said they have to reprint the map every year and they are hearing a lot of protest about the road closure so it is likely to change. He said it was an "ill-informed" decision to close it in the first place.

By nick d
Oct 13, 2012

So much for the environmentalist ethic that used to rule Northern Arizona. There's already too many roads boys, would a three mile walk really kill ya?