Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Where to stop between MN and PA

By Freddy.Mondale
From Boulder, CO
May 8, 2012

I am going to be driving from Minnesota to Pennsylvania in May and was wondering if anyone knows of any worthwhile stops along the way for climbing or really anything interesting to do. Im not against going an hour or so out of the way for a little climbing break but from what i've found northern indiana and ohio (near abouts the middle of the 20hour drive) seem pretty barren in terms of climbing...
Any ideas?

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
May 8, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Seneca Rocks. It may be a little more than an hour out of your way, depending on where exactly in Pennsylvania you're going, but well worth it. Seneca

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO

Get yourself a copy of Rock 'n' Road

By Chris Mack
Beer

There is actually some climbing in PA as well, so depending on where in PA you are heading you may be able to get in some cragging. The climbing is far from classic, but it is still climbing. What is your destination?

By Wade J.
From Boulder, CO
winter aid climbing

Theres a lot of little crags in PA, nothing huge or super classic but they're fun pitstops. The Gunks is 3 hours out of Philly. It's definitely worth the trip.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Not sure how far from MN you are willing to stop and climb, but of course there is Devils Lake in southern Wisconsin for your fun. Can't think of much else through Indiana or Ohio along the drive, nothing near that I-80 corridor you are probably traveling on.

By Freddy.Mondale
From Boulder, CO
May 8, 2012

I am starting in the twin cities and headed to a wedding in Bethlehem PA.

DE Water Gap
high rocks

By James Crump
May 8, 2012

Go west youg man, go west!

By JLP
From The Internet

Any relation to Walter?

I'd buy a plane ticket and fly right over that crap. I'm not sure how you can even justify the gasoline costs.

By Freddy.Mondale
From Boulder, CO
May 8, 2012

Hes my grandfather's brother. the gas isnt so bad as im driving a prius. and i would fly but would like to have the car to get around the east for a few weeks

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Hey there!

Skip high rocks for sure. Do you boulder? Check out Governor Stable and Mount Gretna (Governor Dick)if you do. Really, really good bouldering on diabase rock. Both places should not be missed if you're in PA.

By Larry S
May 8, 2012
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

Freddy.Mondale wrote:
I am starting in the twin cities and headed to a wedding in Bethlehem PA. Once in PA i have been looking at climbing at high rocks and the deleware water gap. I think i might reconsider stopping and just send the 20hours straight because that bit of I-80 seems pretty uninteresting... Seneca rocks is also definatley on my list for when im east but i think im going to hit that on the way west DE Water Gap

I'm 15 minutes from Bethlehem if you need any info, advice, or guidebooks when you get out here. You should know the PA side of the water gap is closed for falcon nesting right now (Jersey is open, $1 toll to get back accross the bridge). While High Rocks is fine if you just want to get out on some rock, i'd skip it and head down to birdsboro (just over an hour away), the gunks (2.5 hours) or safe harbor (a little under 2 hours). Also nearby, closer than high rocks, is Haycock which has some great bouldering.

By Gokul
At the "summit"

Necedah and Devil's Lake are no-brainers.

By Cor
May 9, 2012
black nasty

friends of gov.stables bouldering

safe harbor climbing

hope these two sites help!
i would go to gov. stables.
grew up back there, and it is a w e s o m e bouldering!

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
May 9, 2012
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

Haycock and Mt. Gretna in PA for bouldering, Devil's Lake in Wi, the Gunks, Delaware Water Gap (meh...), and Chickie' Rock/ Sex Wall in PA for sport climbing.

By Freddy.Mondale
From Boulder, CO
May 9, 2012

cool thanks for all the help. It sounds like a bouldering pad might be a good idea. As for the I-80 corridor i guess im going to just charge straight through to PA.