Where to stay in Tuscany?

By ryman
From Chevy Chase
Oct 2, 2012
On Quandary peak

My wif and I are going to go climbing in Tuscany for 5 days in October. Is there camping or hostels or cheap accommodations? Do we need to have a car or scooter Togo climbing there? Thanks. Sorry it's short notice.

By mark felber
From Frisco, CO,USA
Oct 2, 2012

Most of the campgrounds in Tuscany are along the coast. Where exactly in Tuscany are you going? A good way to find campgrounds is to google "campeggio" and the name of the town where you want to camp.

Try this site for hostels: www.hostelbookers.com/

By ryman
From Chevy Chase
Oct 2, 2012
On Quandary peak

Where ever the best sport climbing is is where we want to stay. We would prefer to not have to rent a car/scooter but if it is necessary then we can.

We climb in the 6+ to 7- range and like steep routes. What is A good guide book to get? Thanks

By Nick Votto
Oct 2, 2012
Bolton, VT

Yes, a car is definitely recommended for traveling around rural Italy, otherwise you will not get where you want to go when you want to, its pretty cheap. Here's the guidebook:
www.climb-europe.com/RockClimbingShop/Tuscany-and-Elba-Islan>>>

By Nick Votto
Oct 2, 2012
Bolton, VT

Oh yea, and stay around Pisa or Lucca....try airbnb.com

By J mac
Oct 2, 2012
Zermatt

It is doable without a car (I did it a couple of years ago) but you will spend half the day getting to the crag and half the day returning. It does provide some fun adventure but if you actually want to climb get a car. Don't get a scooter. Towns and crags are pretty spread out and there is nothing scarier than Italian drivers whizzing around you on rural roads.

I would stay in the northwest of Tuscany (near Lucca), close to the mountains and the sea. Don't get too wrapped up in climbing, just enjoy being in Tuscany!

have fun!

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Oct 2, 2012

Your question really sounds more like 'where's the climbing in Tuscany' not 'where should we stay'. Figure out the former and you'll answer the latter.

Having said that, I'd say if you want to go cragging, go cragging. If you want to go to Tuscany, go to someplace nice and small like Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pistioa, etc. There are also some really nice towns in the Chianti region. If you do go, I really suggest renting a car in Florence and then head out from there. It'll just be that much easier to explore. Just line up the rental car before you leave the States. When we picked up ours, we saw a couple of folks shut down because the rental agency didn't accept walk ups.

If you want to go climbing, look into Finale Ligure, Arco, Cortina d'Empezzo (sp?).

By coppolillo
Oct 2, 2012

climbing in tuscany is pretty spotty and uninspiring...finale ligure is absolutely gorgeous and fun...maybe do a few days in Finale, then down to Tuscany? when you're in tuscany, do the food/art/scenery thing...then climb hard in Finale...that'd be my recommendation, having guided bike trips in tuscany for a decade and climbed in Finale once...and never in Tuscany...if you are committed to climbing in Tuscany, maybe look into any routes on the island of Elba, just off the coast...kind of like a mini Corsica....maybe there's a crag there?

have a blast! RC

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Oct 2, 2012

ryman wrote:
We climb in the 6+ to 7- range and like steep routes.

I just saw this. Based upon several weeks climbing in Arco and a little time in the Sella Group of the Dolomites, I think you're going to be disappointed if this is the grade range you're looking at. At Arco, for example, I can't recall a single sport climb anywhere near this grade. A really runout old school 20 pitch route in the Dolomites, yes. Sport climbing, gonna be hard to find.

I'm assuming you'll be in Tuscany because the primary goal of the trip is to chill and sip some wine with the wife. I'd focus on that and punt on the climbing. It sounds like you're looking for something that doesn't really exist.

By ryman
From Chevy Chase
Oct 7, 2012
On Quandary peak

Okay well we are in viareggio now but we don't have a guide book. Where can we get a guide book? The person we are staying with doesn't climb so I don't know where else to look.