Where to camp when Boulder Basin Campground is Closed?

By Kirk L
May 11, 2011
I've been told Humber(?) park has showers but it's $20 a night. I don't need anything fancy or expensive. Just a nice place to roll out the sleeping bag.

Thanks.

By wildwill
May 11, 2011
the winds
upper dream canyon has camping near ur car for free. not sure if that helps, cause i dont know what/where boulder basin is, but if it means boulder, co. then dream canyon is sweet

By Bill C.
From Fort Collins, CO
May 11, 2011
I dont think he is talking about Boulder, CO, but you can camp in upper dream canyon? Maybe im just stupid but anybody have anymore info on this?

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Jun 5, 2011
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering
not to state the obvious, but I don't think a guy posting under Southern California would be talking about Boulder, Colorado. He is talking about Black Mountain in Southern California.

Sorry no info to give to you though.

By SCherry
From San Diego, CA
Jun 6, 2011
Trying to onsight 12a at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles.
Boulder Basin is open as of Memorial Day weekend. You can also camp at the County Park in Idyllwild ($20 per night with showers). I've heard of people rouge camping in Humber Park or at the Parking for Suicide right by their cars. I think this is safe as long as you don't set up a tent. Apparently there is free camping off South Ridge Road but not sure if they opened that road up yet (they were working on it due to road damage earlier in the year)?

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
Jun 8, 2011
Start of Pitch 3
south ridge is free camping

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Jun 11, 2011
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.
Please please please do not camp where you park for Suicide. This is a neighborhood for gods sakes how would you like it if some one was sleeping on the street in front of your home?

I can see why no one is giving away "secret spots" on the net.

Just a hint: Its a big Forrest around there, lots of dirt roads lead into it. Just don't set up a tent or light a signal fire and you will be fine.

Another hint: go for a little hike out of Humber Park about 100 yards in a northish direction... up a little bit and down a little bit. Nice sandy and flat spot.