Home - Destinations - iPhone/Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Where can I try on shoes near Brevard?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By TJ Souther
From Brevard, NC
Jan 22, 2014
First Pitch of The Nose, Looking Glass Rock

Hey, looking at getting some new shoes but I don't want to order off the internet without trying some on and Looking Glass Outfitters is gone now...I've been to REI in Asheville but couldn't find any that I really liked...any suggestions on where to go to demo some shoes or at least try them on for fit before I buy?


FLAG
By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Jan 22, 2014
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protect between Bolt 2/3 just post crux . <br /> <br />Picture credit goes to eric Singleton, and many thanks to Josh Bagget for the great belay.

black dome in Asheville is probably your best bet. Fox may have a selection i'm not sure.


FLAG
By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Jan 22, 2014

Depending on what shoes you're looking for, Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest, SC is about 45 minutes or so from Brevard/Pisgah Forest and has a small selection of shoes. You might want to call them and see what they have before you drive down. I usually order from the web and have no issues sending it back for a refund if it doesnt fit. It might cost a few bucks to return them, but it is the only way to try on some shoes because no one around carries them. You can also shop around and either order from a store with free return shipping or get a better deal to offset the possible shipping costs.


FLAG
By wpfister
Jan 22, 2014
Linville

TJ Souther from little river? I think we used to go to church together. Didn't know you climbed, we should climb together sometime!


FLAG
By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Jan 22, 2014
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

Black Dome and REI are both your closest options. Guides Gear Outfitters ("Fox") I believe stopped selling gear. I think they got rid of all of their merchandise last winter. Zappos is one of my favorite sites for trying new shoes. They usually overnight ship the shoes for free and returns are free. The price of the shipping in hidden in the slightly higher costing shoes though. Also, you shouldn't go a local store to try on shoes and then buy them off the internet. Make sure you respect the local store. If you try them on there and like them, buy them there. That is my rule just to support local business. I don't want to see anymore LGO's closing.


FLAG
By 5.samadhi
Jan 22, 2014
me

TomCaldwell wrote:
Black Dome and REI are both your closest options. Guides Gear Outfitters ("Fox") I believe stopped selling gear. I think they got rid of all of their merchandise last winter. Zappos is one of my favorite sites for trying new shoes. They usually overnight ship the shoes for free and returns are free. The price of the shipping in hidden in the slightly higher costing shoes though. Also, you shouldn't go a local store to try on shoes and then buy them off the internet. Make sure you respect the local store. If you try them on there and like them, buy them there. That is my rule just to support local business. I don't want to see anymore LGO's closing.

god. haha.

RESPECT THE LOCAL STORES MAN WITH THEIR 30% MARKUP.


FLAG
By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Jan 22, 2014
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

5.samadhi wrote:
god. haha. RESPECT THE LOCAL STORES MAN WITH THEIR 30% MARKUP.


30% is exaggerating a bit. Its all about economics. A local store can't do the same volume. That doesn't mean they are fleecing you. They just have to make a profit at the end of the day or there is no reason for them to stay open. I wish Phil was still around running LGO. He was a great source of local beta and fun to hang around on rainy days. I was glad to support LGO when I could. I am not saying you have to buy local. Just have some respect if you try a shoe on at a local store. But what do you know about respect...


FLAG
By nbrown
From western NC
Jan 22, 2014
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

Unfortunately this is the (non-monetary) price we have to pay for lower prices of the internet.


FLAG
By 5.samadhi
Jan 22, 2014
me

TomCaldwell wrote:
30% is exaggerating a bit. Its all about economics. A local store can't do the same volume. That doesn't mean they are fleecing you. They just have to make a profit at the end of the day or there is no reason for them to stay open. I wish Phil was still around running LGO. He was a great source of local beta and fun to hang around on rainy days. I was glad to support LGO when I could. I am not saying you have to buy local. Just have some respect if you try a shoe on at a local store. But what do you know about respect...

well, I'm pretty sure most store-owners wouldnt mind you trying on a pair of shoes even if you werent 100% convinced that you were going to buy them. Isn't that an opportunity for a businessperson to seal a deal? So I'm pretty sure just having you come into their store is a good thing...thats half the battle...

I respect a free market. If the businessman is good enough to sell me a pair of shoes then so be it.

This is not a personal problem for me, since I have long since figured out my shoe size in the various types of climbing shoes I wear (for crack, overhanging sport/bouldering, all arounders, etc).

But I can see how this could be an issue for a beginner though.

Peace


FLAG
By TJ Souther
From Brevard, NC
Jan 22, 2014
First Pitch of The Nose, Looking Glass Rock

Thanks for the replies, I've never been to Black Dome. I may try and go saturday and check them out, I was looking at a few different models of la sportivas mainly, just looked at their website and it says they carry them. I was just pretty disappointed with REI's selection last time I went over there, and I prefer to buy local when possible.

Will, good to hear from you man...I'll PM you my number and we can get up sometime!


FLAG
By courthouse
Jan 23, 2014

Just buy shoes on line that are 3 sizes smaller than your shoe size, then you may send.


FLAG
By TJ Souther
From Brevard, NC
Jan 26, 2014
First Pitch of The Nose, Looking Glass Rock

Ended up going to Black Dome Friday night and bought some Womens Miura lace ups, which fit my feet better than the mens, they had a MUCH better selection than REI and the guy working in the store was really helpful, definitely will get back over there when I need gear.


FLAG
By ShaunnaR
From Asheville/Brevard, NC
Jan 29, 2014

Hey All, just a quick heads up - I work at the HUB and Backcountry Outdoors right at the mouth of Pisgah Forest on the Brevard side. We are a well known mountain bike shop in the area but we also stock a decent assortment of outdoor and camping gear too. With the closing of LGO we have started to incorporate climbing gear into our shop as a few us have been/are climbers and we are so close to Looking Glass, Cedar Rock and all the other Pisgah crags. Right now the assortment is small but we've got some essentials - cord and a few ropes from Sterling, BD C4's and X4's, basic belay devices, guidebooks, chalk, tape, biners, draws etc. No shoes at this point but that could change in the future...

We also have a bar with 6 rotating taps of local beer and are the exclusive purveyor of Wicked Weed brew in the Brevard area!

If you're in the area please feel free to stop by, grab any last minute items you may need, have a beer, or just say hi!


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.