What's going on in this picture?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Jun 6, 2010
Toofast

This is a photo from a recent climber get-together. Any guesses as to what it is?

what is this?
what is this?

By Mark Cushman
From Cumming, GA
Jun 6, 2010
Profiley Styley

Looks like load testing the oval carabiner (loaded across the gate) by pulling it with a comealong. Rope looks like it is there to keep things from flying around and plywood is a shield.

By Buff Johnson
Jun 6, 2010
smiley face

looks like crossloading a biner (possibly to failure) with some type of dynamometer to offer a reading. -- basically what Cush said.

By Stucker
From Centennial, CO
Jun 7, 2010
Old Greg with his downstairs mix-up.

Someone's plan to keep their little piece of California from sliding off into the ocean?

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Jun 7, 2010
Me on Land of Ra, Cadillac Crag, Eldorado. <br /> <br />Thanks for the picture Craig Muderlak!

Looks like breaking stuff is fun!

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jun 7, 2010
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Can you find the hidden climber in this picture?

Devil's Head on the back side of the Training Ground.
Devil's Head on the back side of the Training Ground.

Yes, there is one.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Jun 7, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

Geir Hundal wrote:

what is this?
what is this?

I've narrowed it down, and these are my final guesses.

Drilling a glory hole, or two.

Setting up for the annual "Burning Cam" event.

Playing pin the big bro on the donkey. (He'd better be blind-folded!)

Back woods red-neck trying to set a booty trap for a climber, because he's lonely, and hungry.

He's dead drunk, about to puke, while trying to impress the girls at camp that he's figured out how the Titanic really sank.

Edit: [send. more. hidden. pictures.]

By John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Bastille Crack Final Pitch

Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi? - "Drilling a glory hole, or two."

Hahahahaha. Awesome!

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Toofast

Here's another shot...

take two <br />
take two

By England
From ?
Alpine toothpick.

Geir Hundal wrote:
Award goes to Cush for the correct answer, with GiGi as a second runner up for the funniest post! It's a pull test station we built to pull slings/rope/gear up to around 8,000 pounds. Here's another shot...

May I ask why?

By Adam Stackhouse
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

Stich wrote:
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture? Yes, there is one.

Couldn't find it. Post this in a higher resolution so I can get another look.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Jun 7, 2010
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

England wrote:
May I ask why?

I think the beverages you can see in peoples hands in the picture answers that.

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Toofast

HAHAHA Rick!

Yeah, the beverages did make the whole event a lot more festive.

England,

By Price
From SLC, UT

@Gier -

By England
From ?
Alpine toothpick.

Geir Hundal wrote:
HAHAHA Rick! Yeah, the beverages did make the whole event a lot more festive. England, Mostly out of interest. I've done some research over the years to check out various climbing myths, and this thing is a part of that. stuff like: is he EDK really safe for rappels? does a carabiner that gets dropped a long distance weaken? does use/aging weaken dyneema slings significantly? etc. I also wanted to do controlled testing of hardware so i built a "crack" into the form to pull cams & stoppers. (it's hard to see in the photos). Plus I know some folks that are designing new climbing hardware that wanted to test it.

Is this the device you used to do your report on the Gri-Gri, and clove hitch slipping forces etc.., that was very informative. Thanks for that, good stuff.

By LeeAB
From ABQ, NM
Jun 7, 2010
Once we landed we headed to Font to find a place to stay for the night before doing a day of wine tasting and heading to Buoux.

I think barefoot and mildly inebriated are probably requirements for this sort of activity.

By Rick Blair
From Denver

Geir Hundal wrote:

Myth busters for climbing, I like it. Post up.

By Tea
just Jong it!

looks like a picture of a guy not worried about losing a toe.

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
new toy

Stich wrote:
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture? Yes, there is one.

Is the climber trapped between her breasts?

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Toofast

Price wrote:
@Gier - Ever break a comealong with that setup? I mean the plywood looks totally safe and all, but what if something breaks on the other side? Or rather when.

God I really hope not! The comealong is rated to 8,000 pounds and I'm pulling no more than 3K right now - will probably have to get a bigger one just to be safe when it comes time to pull bigger loads.

By Hendrixson
From Tucson, AZ
Enjoying 'Ground Affects'.

That's a pretty cool setup. I'll be curious to hear what you discover.

By Umph!

Stich wrote:
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture? Yes, there is one.

Nope, but I see nip!

Freakin hilarious Gri!

And I might add, Stucker's was funny too.

Let's see, who else can I compliment?
Excellent post Stitch!

By Pete Elliott
From Co Spgs CO
Jun 7, 2010

I thought maybe it was the climber on the couloir on the peak way in the back. You can just kinda see him. Kinda. Sorta.

By Greg D
From Here
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Ok, now we know. So how did the tests go?

Old dyneema vs new?

Anything worth sharing.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

TDog wrote:
... Days without Injury = 0

maybe it's just me, but...nah, it's just me; carry on

By John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Bastille Crack Final Pitch

Greg D wrote:
Ok, now we know. So how did the tests go? Old dyneema vs new? Anything worth sharing.

In all the drunken madness, no one remembered to write any of the results down! Until they found these pictures - I don't think they even remembered what they did that night. I think the OP was actually genuine while trying to get the community to help decipher this photo

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>