what to do in Estes on a rest day?

Stones
Its 100 in Denver! Estes is the place to be! But what to do on a budget when u r butt tired from climbing and hiking the day before? ??? Opinions? BigJuggsjohnson
Joined Jul 9, 2012
220 points
Jul 21, 2012
Sounds like a great day to see a therapist. Leeroy
Joined Feb 4, 2012
3 points
Jul 21, 2012
Get a coffee and sit and look at all those turists a while. What a scene (I was one of them last week!) mcarizona
From Flag
Joined Feb 5, 2007
223 points
me at eldo
so many tourists Addison
From Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 20, 2010
45 points
Stones
Serious answers please btw a massage therapist would sound good but cha ching! BigJuggsjohnson
Joined Jul 9, 2012
220 points
The Notch
Go flyfishing...with beer of course. Ben P
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 17, 2009
5 points
Jul 21, 2012
Get an iced coffee. Sit by Big Thompson or somewhere staring at longs.

Go for a hike.

From North Kingstown, RI
Joined Sep 27, 2001
648 points
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Brian wrote:
Estes Park Brewery.

+1 for a rest day activity, then sit by the Big Thompson and soak your feet with a cold one in hand.
Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
3,091 points
Jul 21, 2012
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to ...
Go up trail ridge road and hike down the ute trail for 10 minutes to have a nice section of tundra to yourself... with beer in hand. Adam Paashaus
From Greensboro, North Carolina
Joined May 20, 2007
719 points
Stones
I don't have fly fishing stuff, don't drink beer, not interested in tourists, too sore to hike, saving my calories to eat chocolate, already had a pot of coffee. Today's solution: we went consignment store hopping! BigJuggsjohnson
Joined Jul 9, 2012
220 points
Go to Moraine Park and walk/wade down the river. KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Joined Mar 22, 2006
85 points
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Luke Skyrocker wrote:
Go to Moraine Park and walk/wade down the river.

?? Often means getting swept down the river. I got my shorts pulled halfway off by the current once., but I was down near the curve in the road where it is faster.
Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
3,091 points
Clear Creek Canyon, Capitalist Crag
Josh Olson wrote:
Go up to Lumpy, and hike to Gem Lake. Then go to Ed's Cantina.

Am I the only one that thinks Ed's Cantina is crappy food and no atmosphere?
Robert Buswold
From Longmont, CO
Joined Jul 5, 2010
55 points
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

I was thinking of the flat curving sectionsin in upper Moraine Park. Also, the river is low because of the drought. However, I am inclined to be really good in rivers. I have saved two people on seperate occassions from drowning in the past.

Nevertheless, the river in Moraine Park is pretty mellow right now.
KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Joined Mar 22, 2006
85 points
Stones
Yea I did just what u said and got swept by river. Typical MP advice! Haha funny... BigJuggsjohnson
Joined Jul 9, 2012
220 points
Jul 21, 2012
What more can you ask for...an adventure on your rest day! KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Joined Mar 22, 2006
85 points
Jul 22, 2012
Estes has a public indoor pistol range if you like to shoot.
Or go fishing.
Rogerlarock
From Nedsterdam, Colorado
Joined Sep 22, 2008
23 points
Jul 22, 2012
Living the High Life.
Rick Mix wrote:

The Rock is more expensive, but the food is great. I like Ed's because almost everyone who works there, including the owner, is a climber. The bartender who pours your marg just got off the diamond, and that cute server just broke the speed record on the Nose. It's a climbers joint.
Andy Novak
From Golden, Co
Joined Aug 22, 2007
337 points
Jul 22, 2012
Option number one - Get slightly buzzed at Ed's Cantina

Option number two - Get completely fucked up at Ed's Cantina

Climber owned and operated with great food /drink / service.
Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Joined Jun 1, 2009
642 points
Jul 22, 2012
I like to hit up the local rec center on rest days. Get a shower, do some swimming, sit in the hot tub. The one in Estes is pretty nice too. Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Nov 12, 2006
62 points
Jul 22, 2012
Rick Mix wrote:
I second the motion that Ed's ain't all that. Much prefer The Rock Bar. Cheaper and way better service. Estes has a public indoor pistol range if you like to shoot. Or go fishing.

I used to like ed's before they remodeled. Used to be a bunch of grungy types in there late in the day. Now it seems sterile, with few interesting patrons.
Copperhead
Joined Aug 16, 2011
0 points
Mar 4, 2013
Casual Friday on Serenity Crack, Yosemite
mmm. Service at the rock? Really? I like it there mucho, but the service?
Estes Brewery? If you grew up going to Hockey games and find enjoyment in shitty nachos that give you gas and beer that tastes...mmm... well like urine...then maybe the Brewery is the place for you. I hear the ladies dig your mullet, p.s!

I might be biased in my agreeing with Andy Novak, Ed's *fishtacos* and water sports!!!
I highly recommend a river float from the post office to Kind Coffee, pop into Ed's for a marg, walk back to the post office and repeat.

Sorry, what is a rest day anyway?
quinndalina
From Estes Park
Joined Aug 7, 2006
422 points
Mar 4, 2013
"Ragin Cajun" 5.12c Jackson Falls, So Il...
I'm surprised no one has mentioned chilling out on the veranda at the Stanley Hotel, great views, tourist watching, have a beer. jhn payne
Joined Oct 27, 2009
54 points

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!