What kind of packs do you use?

By Rich zz
From california
Oct 5, 2012

I have an Osprey exos 46 that I use for backpacking and I don't want to go through selling that and getting a mountaineering specific one. Has anyone else gone through this dilemma?

By John D
Oct 5, 2012

Nope, I've got a tote full of packs in the gear closet, each a different tool for a different job.

By Rich zz
From california
Oct 5, 2012

John D wrote:

good to know. i'm trying to save as much money right now. what are some things i might regret if i brought a 3 season pack with me on a winter mountaineering hike?

By John D
Oct 5, 2012

Depending on the conditions and what you have to carry, you might have trouble getting it all in/on the pack. looks like your pack will carry tools and a shovel easily but might struggle with crampons and skis, though with a little bungee cord and some creativity you can probably get crampons on there pretty easily.

I still like to look back at my first winter camping/climbing trip with my buddies and joke about all the stuff we took that we didn't use/need. To some extent you do need more gear in winter (more insulation mainly) but you ought to be able to do day hikes and overnights pretty easily with that pack. Of course it's always nice to have the best tools for the job, but get out there and shiver..er I mean have fun :) you'll get the gear you need over time and the more time you spend out in the winter, you'll better idea you'll have of what you want in a winter pack.

By Rich zz
From california
Oct 5, 2012

cool. yeah i'm spending so much money right now even though i'm trying to cut costs. if i can, i'll maybe try to sell it and get a speed 40 or something. if not, i'll just keep it. it's a great pack (the exos).

By Wade J.
From Boulder, CO
Oct 5, 2012
winter aid climbing

It depends on your objective, your gear, and the time you'll be living out of it. A mountaineering specific pack certainly has its value, but as John D pointed out there are ways to make do.

I use a TNF Prophet 65 year round.

By Jeff Fiedler
Oct 5, 2012

Two things happen to me when max-ing out a smaller pack.

First, at some point you start looking like a shit-show with 20 things strapped on to the outside of your pack. And something important is going to pop off or get snagged.

Second, some packs carry well with extra weight, others not so much.

Just do a dry run at home and really see what your 46 looks and feels like with all your planned stuff.

By Tony T.
From Denver, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Getting up the Great Dihedral on Hallet Peak, RMNP.

Yeah, I definitely have a pack for every occasion. My most recent acquisition is a 2012 Gregory Alpinisto. I can't say enough good things about this pack for mountaineering and climbing. However, it is spendy, so get a job in the industry or find a used one! =p

By Devin Krevetski
From West Woodstock, VT
Oct 6, 2012

Cold Cold World Chernobyl

New England Represent!

By BWIce
From Carlisle, PA
Oct 6, 2012
North face of long's.

Richard,

I'm selling a Black Diamond Quantum 65L climbing pack with ice axe loops and crampon straps that I used for some big mountain trips. What's great about this pack is that you can use the padded hip belt when you're hauling in all of your gear, then strip it down to a climbing belt and the essentials for the summit push.

mountainproject.com/v/fs-ls-trango-alps-gtx-scarpa-denali-at>>>

Bill

By Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Oct 14, 2012
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination Rock

46 liters ought to get you by for just about any 2-day winter trip, so long as your OTHER gear is compressible and light. If you're trying to stuff a hay bale sleeping bag in there with a Walmart 3-man tent, you're not gonna have much luck.

By Josh Kornish
Oct 14, 2012
The Roach

Cilogear!

By skiclimber
Oct 14, 2012
jibbing at chasm lake

OP " What kind of packs do you use? "

I use Back Packs!

By skiclimber
Oct 14, 2012
jibbing at chasm lake

On a serious note, I have this pack listed in the for sale for 100$ and the tags are still on it. Size Medium

www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/packs/epic>>>

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Oct 14, 2012

Just got my CCW Chernobyl. Holy crap what a great pack!

By Yep
Oct 14, 2012

Dana Design. I've used it just about every weekend for 14 years for backcountry skiing, backpacking, hiking, and climbing. It has been all over the world.

When (if) my Dana wears out, I will look into buying one of these:

www.mysteryranch.com/adventure

By Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Oct 14, 2012
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination Rock

not climbin' much anymore wrote:
When (if) my Dana wears out, I will look into buying one of these: www.mysteryranch.com/adventure

Why's that?

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Oct 14, 2012

I use an older Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre for backpacking and longer mountaineering. I have a BD Axis 33 for day trips.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Oct 14, 2012

Ben B. wrote:
Why's that?

Because that's what Dana Designs became. Same designs, different name.

By JMo
From Flagstaff, AZ
Oct 15, 2012
mayflower

Black diamond mission 75 if you want light, big, burly and no frills. Pretty sweet.

By David Hertel
From Sitka
Nov 19, 2012
Climbing a coulior of steep snow on the First Ascent of: The Ship's Prow, near Skagway, Ak

JMo wrote:

Diddo!
Best expedition pack I've used yet. Packs down pretty small too if you need it to. I use this pack with a Speed 30 on long expeditions where there is tons of gear to haul around. You can stash the speed 30 under the Mission 75s brain pretty easily, even over top a coiled rope. It all straps down brilliantly and the centered weight doesn't constantly pull you over backwards. Plus, if you're haulin all the gear and food, your buddy gets the groover.

By chuck claude
From Flagstaff, Az
Nov 19, 2012
First climb after knee surgery <br />

Myself use/ have 3 packs

For cragging around home and in areas like Indian Creek, I have small A5 haulbag which is 15 years old and expect it to go another 15 years even though I trash it on a regular basis.

For long trips ( mainly Peru and Nepal) I have a Wild Country Alpinist pack ( circa 1999) which I expect to go on atleast several more expeditions.

For ice cragging and 2 day trips I have a Black Diamond Mission 50 pack.

You don't need to spend a lot of money, or have ALOT of packs, afew quality ones that last, thatbare simple will often be better then many packs

And then a haul bag