What is the weather like in Bishop during X'mas and New Year? and also looking for a partner...!!

By Emil Wong
From Hong Kong
Dec 2, 2013

Planning to have a X'mas and New year Boulder trip in Bishop!
What is the weather like?... super cold?

and also, looking for climbing partner for boulder... or maybe sport if you can let me know earlier. so that i can bring my gear. !!

thx

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
Dec 3, 2013
West Overhang

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop,_California#Climate

It's unlikely to be Midwest cold, but probably somewhere in the mid to upper 30s/low 40s. It's the desert, so humidity is typically low. I have climbed in the Gorge with 50F temps and did my bday challenge at the Happies with low 40F temps this time of year (minimal suffering). Plan on a later start and chase the sun.

By Clayton Knudson
From Fargo, ND
Dec 3, 2013

Cold fronts can definitely come in, last year it was about 18 degrees after Christmas when we tried climbing there

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Dec 3, 2013

It is usually pretty good during the day for climbing in the sun, although there is certainly a chance of bad weather/snow coming in. If the sun is out there (which it usually is), bouldering at 35 F is quite comfortable. If everywhere else is coldy/snowy, the Happy Boulders are the warmest and driest and most wind-sheltered option in the area. I've climbed in a t-shirt at the Happie while it was snowing at the Buttermilks (only 20 minutes away)

Nights, however, are going to be long and cold no matter what. Camping is rough at that time of year.

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
Dec 3, 2013
West Overhang

If you get crappy weather, here are some alternatives:

- Red Rocks (~4.5 hrs; if you go over Westgard Pass, Hwy 168, watch the road conditions)
- Eureka sand dunes
- Death Valley
- Tungsten mines near the Buttermilks or in the Whites
- Bristlecone pines
- Owens Valley observatory (OVRO) high site (near the bristlecone pines)
- Petroglyphs in the Tablelands
- Bodie ghost town

By Emil Wong
From Hong Kong
Dec 3, 2013

thx a lot everyone!!! how's the "looking for partner" like in there??? are there any ways???
any gym in there i can look for climbers?

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Dec 3, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

""Camping is rough at that time of year.""

True ..... it's the get up in the middle of the nite or the early start that gets me.

Listen to Fossana she got the list about right, but you can add "East Side South" to the list... east of Olancha a tad. Or the "Black Planets" down by Fossel Falls.

The Bishop folks are starting to go to ESS....

Or look up Trona and "Great Falls"....out in the desert.

Have fun

Oh I see you just posted..... no gyms in Bishop.... how do you compete with free out door climbing?

Go to: Super Topo.... the Bishop locals are all a bunch of old folks... PM them. "Frummy" is down for anything. :>)

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
Dec 3, 2013
West Overhang

For local climbing partners try:

- the bouldering areas