Home - Destinations - iPhone/Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
What does your Woody look like???
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 6 of 21.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7  8   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By kachoong
From The Outback, Texas
Feb 12, 2011
Climbing at Frog Buttress

Finally have the woody up and started setting problems. Woo!


The new back yard wall.
The new back yard wall.


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 12, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Looks nice. Are the green holds a route? I use color of holds for making routes on my walls. Same make and model for texture and design continuity throughout the climb. That way it mimics a real route on same stone all the way.
4 ft. panels I presume? Looks great.


FLAG
By kachoong
From The Outback, Texas
Feb 12, 2011
Climbing at Frog Buttress

Woodchuck ATC wrote:
Looks nice. Are the green holds a route? I use color of holds for making routes on my walls. Same make and model for texture and design continuity throughout the climb. That way it mimics a real route on same stone all the way. 4 ft. panels I presume? Looks great.


Yeah, they kinda make a route. This was my first route, which I wanted to be a circuit for as close to ARC climbing that I make. I'm yet to top out with holds as I do not have sufficient padding so far (I just have one bouldering pad). I figure a fall with my hands at 12ft is enough for now. I ran out of green but kept the holds the same manufactuer and texture. Should be able to fit six or seven different problems with the holds I have (V0- to V2). And yeah, the panels are 4x8 each.


FLAG
By david quatro
Jun 15, 2011

vert->15degree->30 degree->55 degree
vert->15degree->30 degree->55 degree


40 degree->vert
40 degree->vert

This is the current state of my garage wall. I built it in 3 installments, and now I'm pretty much out of room. It is about 32 feet wide total and bout 10.5 feet high. The only thing left is to connect the 40 degree wall with the vertical wall.


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Jun 15, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Wow! Looks like a pro'climbing gym layout. Good angles!


FLAG
By Steven N
From CO
Jun 16, 2011

great looking wall David. complete with parallettes I see :)

do you have a work bench on the back of the 40 degree wall?


FLAG
By david quatro
Jun 16, 2011

Good eye on the parallettes. I haven't used those much lately, but my kids love to play on them. On the back of the 40 degree wall is a shelf for storage. I could use it as a work bench, though.


FLAG
By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Aug 25, 2011
Awesomeness!

Threw this one up in the living room over the last couple of weeks using the Metolius plans. Roof jugs to come soon. 40 degrees makes my forearms say please...

Yep, its in my living room. My wife is pretty dope for supporting this one...
Yep, its in my living room. My wife is pretty dope for supporting this one...


FLAG
By Couloirman
From Providence, RI
Aug 25, 2011
speedriding vail pass

I just moved and had to leave my woodie behind. I think Im going the lazy mans route this time and getting one of these boulderboards



Should be good for HIT strips, systems holds, rock rings, and Ill figure out a way to still use my beastmakers on it. Collapses too!

(not affiliated)


FLAG
By John Bradbury
Aug 25, 2011
apollo

Mine has a flat screen :)

Flat Screen
Flat Screen


FLAG
By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Aug 25, 2011
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

Couloirman wrote:
I just moved and had to leave my woodie behind. I think Im going the lazy mans route this time and getting one of these boulderboards Should be good for HIT strips, systems holds, rock rings, and Ill figure out a way to still use my beastmakers on it. Collapses too! (not affiliated)


Damn for $800 you must be feeling pretty lazy.


FLAG
By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Aug 25, 2011
Mathematical!

I want to build a woodie so bad... too bad I'm broke.


FLAG
By Matt Roberts
From Columbus, OH
Aug 29, 2011
Hittin' Miguel's with the new Chimps in tow

Just finished it this weekend, though since I didn't realize that holds would take a while to get, its still pretty bare.

Its pretty much Metolius plans, but with a different design on the kickboard, plus a 24" roof. T-nuts on overlapping 8" grids.

That second move is a doozy! <br />
That second move is a doozy!


Side view, 32d
Side view, 32d


Now if I just had some holds...


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Aug 29, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

4 Sale! tons of lightly used holds here,, as my local gym closed and I'm now without a fun indoor place and with buckets of holds to spare. PM me for pics and what I've got to sell. Hundreds of holds, in color sets too.


FLAG
By Brian Haugli
From Fairfax, VA
Aug 29, 2011
Attempt #3 at full Echo Rock traverse.

It's got a 4x8 horizontal roof added and a lotta cushion on the floor. The back area makes for storage.
It's got a 4x8 horizontal roof added and a lotta cushion on the floor. The back area makes for storage.


FLAG
By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Aug 29, 2011
Flaming Pumpkin

Woodchuck ATC wrote:
4 Sale! tons of lightly used holds here,, as my local gym closed and I'm now without a fun indoor place and with buckets of holds to spare. PM me for pics and what I've got to sell. Hundreds of holds, in color sets too.


Pm'ed


FLAG
By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Aug 29, 2011
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

Matt Roberts wrote:
Just finished it this weekend, though since I didn't realize that holds would take a while to get, its still pretty bare. Its pretty much Metolius plans, but with a different design on the kickboard, plus a 24" roof. T-nuts on overlapping 8" grids. Now if I just had some holds...


Backcountry.com can get holds to you super fast for pretty cheap. Selection is limited but usually takes just 3 days to ship to Colorado.

So ill holds and Three ball climbing (plus some others) generally have all of their holds already made and they ship out fast too.

Awesome garage wall!


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Aug 29, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Another hint here: In pic shown, I'm guessing that lone hold is a great 'launcher' for dyno's. Be sure to back that t-nut up with a chunk of plywood like 5" by 5", a washer and extra nut. A couple years ago a big dude blew the hold right off the dyno wall at the Red River Gorge Rocktober'fest event. A t-nut can only take so many hard pulls on a steep board.


FLAG
By Hamlet73
From Boulder, CO
Aug 29, 2011
pic taken in J-tree

My HIT strips setup
My HIT strips setup


FLAG
By Monomaniac
Administrator
From Morrison, CO
Aug 29, 2011
Pulling a small roof at 2/3 height on Mission Impossible.  Adam Sanders photo.

You're gonna want to make that way steeper. I think the spec in hit strips is 55 deg (ie steeper than 45 degrees). Otherwise looks great!


FLAG
By tks
From Boston, MA
Oct 21, 2011

Starting construction next week. My only question is the installation of the t-nuts: how big a hole do you drill? do you really just hammer them in?

anybody got any tips?


FLAG
By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Oct 21, 2011
Awesomeness!

I had the same question when I built mine. Get one of these:

7/16 Forstner

The spade type bit will work too, but the whole will not be nearly as clean and if you're as stupid as I am, you'll impale yourself with a 3'' wood sliver while cleaning off the back of the plywood.:

www.doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=324159

Yes, you just hammer them in, make sure they're straight. It is loud and tedious as hell.


FLAG
By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Oct 21, 2011
Hey there!

tks wrote:
Starting construction next week. My only question is the installation of the t-nuts: how big a hole do you drill? do you really just hammer them in? anybody got any tips?



they're a little more expensive, but you can get screw-in t-nuts. I have a mix of both, and have to say the ease of placing the screw ins make them worth the extra $$, IMO.


FLAG
By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2011
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.


FLAG
By Hamlet73
From Boulder, CO
Oct 21, 2011
pic taken in J-tree

Monomaniac wrote:
You're gonna want to make that way steeper. I think the spec in hit strips is 55 deg (ie steeper than 45 degrees). Otherwise looks great!



Yeah I have been needing to increase the angle since I built it. Currently it is about 37 degrees. ;(

That has taught me that eyeballing it, might not always work. ;)


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 6 of 21.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7  8   Next>   Last>>