Western NC in late march?

By Andrew Martin
From North Jersey
Mar 2, 2011
me
Thinking about coming down from Michigan for spring break to fly fish and climb but we are wondering what the weather will be like. Any guesses for the 18th - 27th??? Also do you have any suggestions for places to stay (camping or hostels)? If you fish, how is the fishing in march? Thanks!

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Mar 2, 2011
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.
March is tricky anywhere, especially the non-desert areas like the East. It may rain, but as far as temperatures go, there is always a place to climb cold or warm in N.C. I have seen people currently fishing on the Davidson River in Brevard, right next to Looking Glass. Which is a great any weather destination cliff, minus rain.

Day after rain options are Rumbling Bald and Crowders. Those are also great cold weather options. The Glass, Cedar Rock, and Laurel Knob are good cold weather, but you have to give it a few days after a rain on most of the routes. There are tons of free places to camp in the forest near those three places as well. If you want to camp near the Bald or Crowders, there are pay sites. If you are leading 5.9 like your profile says, you will love the S. Face of the Glass!

If the weather is warm and conditions are dry, Linville is great. Shortoff especially, since the approach is the same, no road closures. Linville has tons of free camping in the forest as well.

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Briar Patch
Mar 3, 2011
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'
I suggest a sturdy rain jacket...temps will be fine, but storms are almost inevitable and often come on quickly.

Look into Ammon's Branch campground if you want to be situated amongst some of the best climbing in the Carolinas to include Whitesides, Laurel Knob, etc...and walking distance from high quality backwoods fly fishing.

Also plenty of amenities nearby and some great hiking, paddling, MTB, etc.

By Ben Scott
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 3, 2011
my alter ego
Cripes! whats the story behind that pic?
that is frickn crazy looking

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Briar Patch
Mar 3, 2011
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'
The photo?
Springtime in the South.
Epic rappels through rain, hail, lightning, and thunder.
Multi thousand dollar dental bills...on Paul's behalf.
The hike/hitch-hike of shame.
Finished the day with steak and sweet tea...one of us toothless.
Nothing to see here.

By Ben Scott
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 3, 2011
my alter ego
So the dome turned into a waterfall
or you always rappel next to a raging torrent?

FYI toothless North Carolina climbing seems par for the course...hee hee

By Rhett Burroughs
From Valdosta, GA
Mar 19, 2011
Yup
Heres the story:

Rhett.. its gonna rain

Ben.. no its not

Ben.. its only 30% its not going to rain

• *lightning strikes, hail, flowing water falls all within a few minutes.

Rhett.. I fucking told you it was going to rain

Ben.. we gotta get off this damn thang!

Paul.. fuck

By Chad Sontag
From Vacaville, CA
Mar 25, 2011
Gym climbing in Korea
viewing that picture full size really shows how much water was going down that thing. Look at how far off the wall it is spraying compared to the top of Paul's head. Gonna have to say I'm glad I missed out on this one...when's the next Krunkfest?

By Rhett Burroughs
From Valdosta, GA
Mar 25, 2011
Yup
most of that was hail :P

krunk fest... ohh no...

By SubantZ
From Georgia SON!!!!
Mar 30, 2011
Playin around at Yonah
Paul Barnes wrote:
This is what the water grooves at LK look like about 2 minutes after the rain starts and the mosspads on top reach their saturation point. This was actually pretty fun. Well...until I did that whole faceplant thing anyway...but the pain meds from the dentist and oral surgeon were REALLY good.

HAHA Paul. Why do I miss all the fun?
POw Pow