WC Helium Friends w/ Extendable Slings and Thumb Loop?

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Aug 3, 2013
P3 on Nutcracker.
I was climbing today at a local crag in BCC, I look over and see this climber with a set of Helium Cams that had extendable slings on a thumb loop. Probably in town for the OR Show. He told me they will be producing them in October sometime.

I didn't get a picture but I had a chance to handle them. The slings were sweet. Apparently, the dyneema is lined with Spectra Cord. It didn't have the plastic piece to protect the sling like you see in the DMM line.

Anybody else hear anything or see anything about this? The climber claimed he had been climbing on them for a year.

By Dan Felix
Aug 4, 2013
I'm sorry, but.....
worthless
worthless

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Aug 4, 2013
P3 on Nutcracker.
Well, I didnt get pictures. All I can say is that they look this but on the WC Helium Cams.

DMM Dragons
DMM Dragons

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Aug 5, 2013
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks
Christopher Allan wrote:
Dyneema and Spectra are the same thing... en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-... But still, that sounds sick!

I wonder if he means that the Dyneema is lined with Nylon to give it the coloring since you can't dye Dyneema/Spectra.

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Aug 5, 2013
P3 on Nutcracker.
Im just repeating what the guy told me. He told me that there was spectra cord (like an actual piece of cordage) inside the sling.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Aug 5, 2013
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3
since when do dragons have thumb loops?

By Matt.Zia
From Leadville, CO
Aug 5, 2013
superkick wrote:
since when do dragons have thumb loops?

Since now apparently..

blackdiamondequipment.com/en/e...

It'd be super sweet if DMM figured out a way to resolve that issue.

By bearbreeder
Aug 5, 2013
Those could be the old prototype dragons

;)

By Aric Datesman
Aug 5, 2013
Matt.Zia wrote:
Didn't BD try to do an extendable sling on the C4's a while back but found the sling had a tendency to deform the thumb loop because of the small area the force of a fall would be concentrated on? .

Fixing the BD design to have an extendible loop is easy... Increase the diameter of the stem wire. BD is stuck with the non-extendible sling because the thumb loop is a relatively small diameter wire with both ends terminated in the head (which means there's no swage at the thumb loop, and reduced weight). Downside to this is the smaller wire will cut an extendable loop at loads lower than they'd like to rate the gear, hence no extendable loops on C4's. Simple answer is increasing the diameter of the stem wire, but that means more weight on an already heavy design, so it's not going to happen.