Warning: Traps found in BLM wilderness near Red Rock

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 27, 2013
For those visiting the area and those who live here- a local climber was hiking to Mt Potosi this week when her dog was caught in a trap ( Examples of the trap found just off the trail. ) less than two feet from the main trail to the crag. Luckily, the dog was well trained and held still for her to free, but it is still worrisome.

It has also come to our attention that whoever set the traps has also been setting them in the vicinity of the Red Rock Campground (and, apparently they are legal according to a BLM ranger).

If you have kids or dogs, please make sure to keep them on trail and be aware that these things are out there.

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
Nov 27, 2013
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. White...
That's fkd up man. Are these placed maliciously? I've never heard this was an issue in RR?

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Nov 27, 2013
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protec...
Wow that is seriously f'ed. What goes on in Vegas these days

By Dylan B.
Nov 27, 2013
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
Here's a PDF map of where hunting and trapping are allowed in RR:

blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/bl...

Looks to me like it's not permitted in the bottom of the canyons, but it is permitted up at higher elevations.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 27, 2013
Thanks for the link- although while it shows that trapping is not legal near the campground, we heard from the rangers that there are traps out there (supposedly not too close- maybe just outside the no trapping boundary?).

Either way- be careful out there!

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Nov 27, 2013
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protec...
What are they trying to trap. Wild asses?

By Dylan B.
Nov 27, 2013
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
When we were climbing Dark Shadows a few weeks ago one of the parties behind us left three dogs--off leash--to run around the canyon. I don't know if this is common or not, but I'd be very worried about a dog being caught in a trap while I'm on the fourth, fifth, eighth pitch of a climb and too far to get there to rescue my dog quickly.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Nov 27, 2013
Bucky
D.Buffum wrote:

By Dylan B.
Nov 27, 2013
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
J. Albers wrote:
If you leave three fricking dogs to run around unsupervised in the canyons so that they can tear sh*t up and harass wildlife, then f*ck it, if your dogs get tagged, so be it. Sheesh, some of you folks make all dog owners look like a bunch of selfish A-holes.

You may think it's irresponsible for a dog owner to let their dogs run around in the woods unsupervised, but should the dog pay the price for the owner's irresponsibility by being caught in a leg trap? (Rhetorical question). It's not the owner's suffering I'd be concerned with; it's the dog's suffering.

To be clear, I had no complaints about the dogs down in the canyon; they were happy doing their doggie thing, and not bothering anyone. They probably helped keep the Ring Tail Cats out of our packs.

I'd be more concerned about trapping in high-traffic areas where people bring pets.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Nov 27, 2013
Bucky
D.Buffum wrote:

You totally missed the point. Yet somehow your post inadvertently makes my point. The dogs weren't bothering anyone except say, the Ring Tail Cats? Or maybe the sheep that are well known to inhabit the canyon? Dogs chasing the wildlife IS a problem. It always drives me nuts when I am up in a wilderness and I see leashless dogs chasing after everything that moves. Yet the owners somehow think 'nah, its cool man'. No its not.

By Stone Nude
Nov 28, 2013
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Unleashed German shepherd jumped out at my partner near calico this morning.

Where do they sell these traps? Do you have to get permits to place them or just toss em out and cover em in kibbles and bits?

By Ken Jones
From Grants, NM
Nov 28, 2013
hanging between climbs
Leg hold traps are primitive and disgusting. Dog, coyote, bobcat, baby human, whatever. Nothing should have to suffer thru that type of cruelty. There is a bigger point here.

I almost always leave my dogs at home when I go climbing. Often the two just don't mix. It is a human, not a canine issue when problems arise.

If you find a trap piss on it. That tends to keep wildlife away. May not be legal, but at least it is humane.

By Tim Hudgel
Nov 28, 2013
Good idea, Ken.

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Nov 28, 2013
Meme guy
Where do you yuppies get your food from? Animals crowded in pens day and night covered in their own shit?