Wandering Brit in Seneca

By David Coley
From UK
Apr 8, 2014
Hi,
I've got a short trip to the East coast and hoping to climb at Seneca on the 24/25/26th April. I've never been to the area before, and would like to know:
1. where's the best place to camp, or a cheap hotel?
2. where's the best place to try and meet someone to climb with?
3. is there a climbing shop, as I'll need a guide book if don't find anyone to climb with so I can solo.
4. anything else I should know? (I'll be driving from Washington, and haven't got a clue where anything is).

Thanks in advance for any help.

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
Apr 8, 2014
I've only been there a few times, but I recall that the area is pretty empty. There's a gas station, a private campground called Princess Snowpea or something, something else called Yokums (maybe that is the name of the whole intersection), and a state campground, and two competing climbing shops/guide places across the street from eachother. A few miles down the road is a restaurant that serves ridiculously large hamburgers. I think it's called Bears. If you are friendly you can probably hang out at the climbing shops and find some local to climb with. You're going to be pretty early in the season, so it might not all be open.

By BrianWS
Apr 8, 2014
Done done and done. Talk to Tommy at the guide shop to see about finding partners. The campgrounds are very nice with good facilities. The guidebook sucks, so once again, go to the guide shop for beta.

senecarocks.com/

fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/recrea...

yokum.com/

By Jacob Harrell
From Amelia, OH
Apr 9, 2014
I wouldn't waste money on a campground. There is an entire national forest surrounding the area that is ripe for the taking. I would reccomend Dolly Sods, Spruce Knob, or right on the Seneca Creek itself. There are some nice spots along Seneca Creek right near the falls.

By Doug S
Apr 9, 2014
Edge of Time <br />
Camp at Princess Snowbird. It's right in town.

When you get to the very center of town from the direction you'll be driving, the big store there is Yokum's. Right beside it is The Gendarme climbing shop, kinda tucked in behind. Anyone there will be happy to answer any questions you have and help you along the way.

It will be early season. The following weekend will be their 'cinco de mayo'/climbing season kickoff party, so the crowds may be a little thin. I hope you're successful in finding partners.

Good luck and have fun! It's an awesome place.

By ZackBay
Apr 9, 2014
By Rap Rings
one thing to keep in mind is that there will be zero cell reception out in Seneca. Just keep that in mind for the planning process, I would hate for you not to be able to link up with a partner because you ran into the cell phone black hole that is West Virgina. I wished those dates worked for me I would make the 3 hour drive in a heart beat, I'm sure you will have a great time out there.

By David Coley
From UK
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks for the info everyone

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Apr 10, 2014
Day Lily.

if you dont find partners dont worry too much, Seneca is a GREAT place to get some soloing in. The place is littered with moderates and below. It is a very enjoyable place to climb for me and if you know the "keyholes", shortcuts, etc you can move around very fast, very easily. If you solo I reccomend wearing a harness and backpacking a rope with a rapp device because its only a few pitches to the "summit" and it doesnt take long. Climb, rapp, climb, rapp, etc.

Enjoy! the place has alot of history and is overall enjoyable because of the no cell reception (I love that!), and the mini "mountain" environement that is that area of that state.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Apr 10, 2014
Day Lily.
I just realized I dont know what level you can/will solo at. For me its moderates and below. If you are the same then you'll have plenty of options to keep you busy for a few days.

By Jen S
From Atlanta, GA
Apr 10, 2014
Rest day hike at the Red.
+1 for the Gendarme. It's a nice climbing shop and would be a good place to go if you want to meet people to climb with.

I also like camping at Seneca Shadows. Waking up with a view of Seneca is always a great way to start the day.

By Mark O'Neal
From Nicholson, GA
Apr 14, 2014
1st trad lead - Northern Pillar at the Gunks
+1 for Seneca Shadows

Also if you have AT&T you can get 5 bars at the church a couple of miles south of town. Or alternately get a Google Voice account

By PTR
From GA
Apr 14, 2014
The so-called Church of the Immaculate Reception -- although I doubt the members there call it that.

By Chris Clarke
From La Paz, BO
Apr 14, 2014
The members call it North Fork Baptist Church but, PTR, I like your name better.

By Brian Adzima
From the Paris of Appalachia
Apr 14, 2014
somewhere in WV
If you are really psyched on Seneca you should go there, as there are not a lot of other places like it. However, it will be a 1000% times easier to find partners at the New River Gorge (3 hrs away) due to the number of climbers and single pitch nature of most of the routes at the New.

By David Coley
From UK
Apr 18, 2014
Brian Adzima wrote:

Thanks. I'm traveling from Washington DC but flying back to the UK from NY. Is the New 3hrs further from NY than Seneca would be?

By Eric Fernandez
From Dixon, CA
Apr 18, 2014
From DC and NY the New is only 2 hrs further drive than Seneca, from Seneca to the New is a 3 hour drive, just the nature of the roads in WVA. There's an AAC campground at the New where you should have no problem finding a partner, and much better rock than seneca, much better actual climbing but not quite as cool a formation as Seneca and no multi pitch/less exposure. Apples and Oranges, both awesome.

By ascender30
Apr 18, 2014
It the weather is good, I could meet up with you Saturday morning and give a "Seneca Veteran" tour of some fine routes. Send me a private message, if interested, and we can work out details.