using nets for bouldering protection

By Curt Dvonch
May 31, 2010
I want to throw some holds on the underside of a second story deck to make a bouldering area. The deck is about 15' x 15' and it sits about 12' above ground. Crash pads are too small to protect the whole area, old mattresses are kinda lame, and I won't have a belay to catch falls. Instead, I want to use an acrobat net like they have at a circus. It should be easy to hang and remove quickly. It also should be able to protect the whole area. I saw this in a video once. Anyone ever do anything like this before? Anyone know where to buy this kind of net? A google search for "climbing nets" "circus nets" "acrobatic nets" doesn't provide suppliers or any good information.

By John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
May 31, 2010
Bastille Crack Final Pitch
You should just build a swimming pool below the deck!

By Chad_N
From Chattanooga TN
May 31, 2010
climbing on Little Baldy, SEKI
If the deck is 12' tall and you're hanging from your arms, that leaves about what? 4-5 ft. to fall?

If it were me I'd just get a pad or two. Or try not to fall.

Climbing is not the circus. Circus folk and carnies fall in huge nets because people pay for tickets to be entertained. Who are you trying to entertain? Try to be more controlled with your movements, and that includes falling.

Or check circusmidgets.com
They may have an answer for you.

By Mike Anderson
From Dayton, OH
May 31, 2010
Those nets probably stand 10' off the ground. I had a wall in my garage that was 13' tall, and I just used crash pads.

Since it's outside, you could just use thick mulch or gravel.

By tenpins
May 31, 2010
search fall protection options. While nets are scary stuff, they are OSHA legal for fall protection in trades like ironworking.

By Bryan Carroll
From Los Osos, CA
May 31, 2010
Bishop Peak 8/30
Hey you should watch this video, I remeber finding this awhile back and seeing this topic I thought I should post it:

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
May 31, 2010
me on my redpoint
That is so cool!

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
May 31, 2010
El Chorro

People routinely fall from 15 t0 20 feet in the gym without indecent. Just get some crash pads... and actually I don't think old mattresses is lame at all. As long as the springs don't pop out, it would be nice to fall on.

By Curt Dvonch
Jun 1, 2010

That is the video I remember! Thanks for finding it and posting.

I just talked to Bobby at bobbysbigtop.com/ about his trapeze nets. I sent him the video and I explained my application, and he thinks it will work. Main problem is that he estimates 15' x 15' of trapeze net material will cost about $500. Then the cost of labor to add eye holes on the corners and whatever else might push it up another couple hundred. Prohibitively expensive for me.

I agree that it is not a long way to fall, and that control is essential, even in falling. However, the landing is a rock patio, so protection is needed and the swimming pool and mulch ideas are out.

Next step is to check area hardware stores to see if they stock some cheaper netting that will work. Just sent Matt Maddaloni an email asking about his net.

By Curt Dvonch
Jun 3, 2010
Matt said he used a commercial fishing net. I think it should be quite a bit cheaper than acrobatic nets.

He added that his net is now on a 5.13d sport route in squamish and that the professional young blood film will air on Nat Geo channel on July 9 and every friday after that for 10 episodes on a show called "Amazing".

By Brian Corbett
Jun 5, 2010
"The net wouldn't work. It would stretch when you fell and you would smash the ground."

There was also a time when the world was flat, the earth was the center of the universe and parallel cracks couldn't be protected. Advancements in technology and philosophy have brought about significant changes, especially in the climbing world.

I would check out InCord or other netting manufacturers for construction purposes. The nets are plenty strong, don't stretch (excessively) if rigged properly, and can be made in just about any custom size imaginable, including something that would fit below your bouldering wall.

Good luck and be safe in your rigging!
BC