Turning 30 first week of April, need suggestions for a big climb

By John Gassel
From Boston, MA
Feb 21, 2012
So I'm hitting the big 3-0 during the first week of April and I'd rather go on a big, memorable trip than spend it hanging out in a bar. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should do. It's a bad time of year for a lot of the things I have considered doing so I need some help. I wouldn't mind hiring a guide if it's required. Open to all suggestions: rock, ice, trek, etc.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Feb 21, 2012
That'll depend on how much time you have. Perhaps Chamonix?

By Christian "crisco" Burrell
From PG, Utah
Feb 21, 2012
Our less than official sponsor!
On my 30th, I did the "30 at 30" challenge. You pick 30 different pitches to complete in one day. You chose the ratings and length. Considering that most climbing days maybe you get in 10 or so routes (give or take) doing 30 is often a pretty big undertaking for us mere mortals.
I offered to buy a nice dinner for the guy who was my belayer for the day. But part way through he had to go "make a deposit" and didn't bring the paper. So I had to wait while he ran out of the canyon and drove to a bathroom (for some reason the one at the mouth of the canyon was locked). This really messed up my rhythm as I was warmed up and feeling good. By the time he got back, I felt terrible and still had 12 more routes to do.

BTW: packing up the gear and jogging to another wall was part of the challenge.

By adam brink
From Boulder, CO
Feb 21, 2012
Arlo in all his magnificence.
Where are you located and what are your travel restrictions?

By John Gassel
From Boston, MA
Feb 21, 2012
Chamonix is an option. I know there is a ton of stuff to do in the area but I've never been before so I feel that a trip there would be better served for when I have a few weeks to spend there.

I have my passport already, so no travel restrictions to speak of.

By adam brink
From Boulder, CO
Feb 21, 2012
Arlo in all his magnificence.
Save your money and come out West! April is a great time to climb in Colorado and Utah. You could have a wicked adventure in the Black Canyon or climb desert towers in the Canyonlands or Castle Valley.

By prod.
From Boulder, Co
Feb 21, 2012
ElCap

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
Feb 21, 2012
Artist Tears P3
If you haven't already done it, do the Nose.