Trip Up through California

By J CAV
May 16, 2013

I am diving up to Monterrey from Phoenix with my brother and was looking for some places to climb and car camp for a night on the way through. We are planning to stop near San Diego for one night and maybe somewhere else another night (depending on what we can find).

Does anyone know of some cool places to stop and check out? Any recommendations are appreciated! We will have gear for sport and bouldering.

Planning on stopping in Joshua Tree on the way back down.

By cnadel
May 16, 2013

There's some great climbing to be had in Santa Barbara. Otherwise you might want to check out Pinnacles National Monument in central CA... The rock quality there is dubious at best but there is some decent stone to be found and the scenery is beautiful.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
May 16, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Joey.... not sure why your going via SD from Phoenix, its sort of a longer drive.

I would take the 10... and go to Taquitz & Suicide... nice camping in Idylewild (sp wrong for sure)..... It's about the coolest place south of the Grapevine.

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
May 16, 2013
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

Definitely recommend the bouldering in Santa Barbara at the Brickyard. Can camp fairly close by off the 154. Haven't been, but hear Pine Mountain is world class.

Stoney Point is good if you want to stop by through LA (good bouldering and some worthwhile toproping). Malibu Creek for sport (best stuff here is in the 11 to 13 range at the ghetto wall in my opinion. Camping in LA is pretty limited. If you are staying on the coast the whole way and not the 101, I recommend stopping at the shit show that is Point Dume for a lunch break, dip in the ocean, and scenic crappy climbing of the aesthetic 5.6 arÍte.

Instead of Joshua Tree why not go somewhere at elevation on the way back like Holcomb Valley or Tahquitz. I just personally don't find Joshua Tree very inspiring. That's just me.

By david doucette
May 16, 2013
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

second that on tahquitz on the way up and staying on the 10 (why san diego?)

then you hit joshua tree on the way back as planned (it'll be warm, but you can find walls in the shade like thin wall, atlantis, dairy queen, hemingway). i was there yesterday and it was pleasant, even in the sun. headed back out tomorrow too.

with tahquitz and joshua tree ticked off, you'll have climbed in the two best places in SoCal.

By Chris G.
From San Diego, CA
May 17, 2013
The Gallery, Red Rocks

+ for Tahquitz but bring a rack. Holcomb is probably my favorite place to go to get on sport routes. If you make it to SD hit up El Cajon Mountain but make sure its a cooler day because it can be pretty warm on the rock. Also Mount Woodson.

By J CAV
May 18, 2013

I appreciate all the suggestion guys! I will definitely be checking out a lot of these places, going to be planning our route during the next two days.

We are planning on hitting San Diego to meet up with some friends, otherwise, itd be straight up the 10.