Training While in the Office

By agd
Jun 18, 2012
alaska
So how do all the fellow desk jockeys in here "train" while stuck in the office? Anything creative besides the normal hand exercisers?

I'm sure someone has come up with some interesting methods.

Me, I'll crank out some second-knuckle pull-ups in the bathroom when nobody's looking.

By BackCountry
From West Point, UT
Jun 18, 2012
Whaaaat?
I like taking an extra long lunch (1-1/2 to 2 hours) two or three times a week and hitting the climbing gym. I thought about knocking the dust off the hangboard and mounting it over my office door, but haven't. Never ever do I get close to our office's bathroom floor though.

Maybe you could bring in a bucket of rice?

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Jun 18, 2012
OMG, I winz!!!
I used to ride 17 miles on my bike every day at lunch. Of course at that point I hated my job so it was pretty much the highlight of my day.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
Jun 18, 2012
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows
surfing MP :P

EDIT:

I do have a hangboard set up in the office basement (which is huge and well-lit, so not a bad place to hang) next to the weight bench and runner. However, I want to climb, I _don't_ want to use a goddamn hangboard. So, for the last 3 years, I've maybe hung on it for a total of about 2.4 minutes.

By agd
Jun 18, 2012
alaska
BC Sortor wrote:
Maybe you could bring in a bucket of rice?

What for?

By BackCountry
From West Point, UT
Whaaaat?
youtu.be/dhNDPD4gxpc

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Jun 19, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
I have a one-sided dumbbell at work that I use to do pronations when my elbow acts up. Other than that, no real "training".

By mtoensing
From Boulder
Jun 19, 2012
Props to my home state show
I bike to work when the weather is nice. It is about 11 miles each way. One thing to do at work is to motivate your coworkers to take exercise breaks with you. I work with some climbers at a lab so it is pretty easy to get motivated to do a bunch of pushups and pullups.

In college I used to use one of those squeeze ball things sometimes. It was alright but I recommend a 100 pullup day at work to get you real strong. Makes work go by kind of faster too.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Jun 19, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
I used to work nights in a configuration warehouse churning out laptops for corporate users. My boss played college football and was really into fitness. Our shift was from 4pm to 1am. We had pushup, pullup, and plank competitions. Whoever could keep a record without having it broken for 14 consecutive work days, would get a free day off. I miss that gig.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard
I used to be really into that workout at the office thing. Before, at lunch, or after are probably what you should focus on though, I never found anything in the cubicle that really carried over to climbing. I could bust out a set of 50 pushups with no problem at the time, but I haven't found the climb that really needs that skill yet. If your office is cool with it a hang board would probably be the best thing.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Jun 19, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Pushups no, although some would likely argue about muscle balance and the importance of keeping your triceps and shoulders strong and developed. But if you work the hell out of your core, that most certainly will pay noticeable dividends in your climbing performance over time.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
You can get a lot of core work done on an excercise ball (if you have the space). People sit on them instead of office chairs for variuos reasons, so you can use that as an excuse for why you have it.

Or you could get a yoga mat and do core work on that. Beats sitting and bullshitting on MP :)

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
Jun 19, 2012
One of my first trad leads, on Ooga Chocka at Crowder's Mountain.
I mostly stretch at work and climb/work out after. Keeps me from freezing up into that awful, slumping, sitting at your desk and staring glassy-eyed into your monitor position. A nice 5 minute stretch break every hour does wonders for me.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Jun 19, 2012
My employer allows 1 hr/day, up to 3 days/week to workout on the clock. We also have a full-on gym...b-ball courts, racketball, 2 weight rooms, steam room, sauna, and a big cardio room with ellipticals, treadmills, stairmaster, bikes .

So I try to do my supplemental work - opposition muscles, core, etc at work. Nice to break up the day, and leaves the evenings I'm not training in the climbing gym free for mundane chores.

By Mike Crandall
From Superior, CO
Super Crack

Planks. Again, building up your core. Plenty of variations on this one too.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
If you can get away with it take up the guitar. Played in a fingerpickin style will keep your fingers on both hands loose and strong. Good for the head as well. And of course, Chicks dig it!

By agd
alaska
Mike Crandall wrote:
Dips using your chair. While doing dips lift one leg in the air, alternating between sets. This will help your core. Planks. Again, building up your core. Plenty of variations on this one too. Pushups. Build your core at the same time and do variations like keeping one leg straight back and lifted as well as "spider man" push ups. If your office allows it, mind candy. During breaks while you're working your core, watch short clips of great climbers. Without a hang board not much you can do to build finger strength. I'm open to ideas though. If you work in a building with stairs, run up and down them during lunch. I work in a building with 56 floors. 25 minutes in the stairwell here will build your cardio. Carry a pack with weights to get you ready for Denali or at least help to haul your desert rack up to Rambo Wall!

I like the floors idea. My building is about 60 floors as well (no AC in the stairwell though...). I've gone from 40 to 1 back to 40, and that was a great workout.