Top Rope/Easy Sport in North Conway NH?

By Avalon
From East Longmeadow MA
Aug 2, 2014
Gunks
Heading to North Conway in Sept. with a few non-climber friends, I've done a few multi-pitch trad routes on Cathedral Ledge with my climbing partner in the past and loved it. I'm not comfortable leading 3-4 first time climbers on multi pitch trad routes but would love to set up a top rope or lead a couple easy sport routes for them. Any suggestions? Thanks- Joe

By JediGorf
From Waterville, ME
Aug 2, 2014
The North End has a few top ropes that are ok. You have to lead to set the rope, but you can climb some of the easier routes and move along the wall to set ropes on the others.

By Max Forbes
From Burlington, VT
Aug 2, 2014
Rumney is a bit of a hike from NC but is great climbing. If your okay leading sport routes, you can easily set up top ropes on the bolts up top, and then re-climb to clean them later. The climbing is great and is good for all abilities. I would maybe stay away on the weekends, especially if your planning on setting up top-ropes on easy routes. It gets very crowded very quick.

By john strand
From southern colo
Aug 2, 2014
There are some easy climbs on Humphries that can then be TR'd. Stonejouse pond is really good as well.

By DavidLG
Aug 3, 2014
Humphrey's Ledge (just down the road from Cathedral 3 minutes)

Right at the beginning of The Geriatric Walls There are 3 routes that all can be top roped. 1st pitch of Easy as Instant Pudding 5.4, 1st pitch of Autumn Tears 5.6 and Yellow Jacket 5.7. All have bolted anchors at the end of the pitch and Autumn Tears requires 1 nut placement at the beginning the rest are bolts on the 3 routes.
You can do the 2nd pitch of Autumn Tears 5.9 and still belay with a 60 meter rope from the ground giving climbers the option of stopping at the 1st pitch or going to the top. Even though there are 2 bolts on the 2nd pitch gear is needed to finish Autumn Tears.
If you desire harder climbs there is Put my Foot Where 5.10 and Lost & Found 5.10c all which can be top roped with a 60 meter. All 5 of these climbs are within 75 feet of each other with the ability to observe everyone in your group.

Have a great day climbing
David G

By jim.dangle
Aug 3, 2014
Jockey Cap has easy TRIng.

By Ira O'Meara
From Hardwick, VT
Aug 10, 2014
The Family wall at shell pond has some nice moderate sport climbs. And it is beautiful and not very crowded! There is also Attitash Crag in Bartlett with a bunch of easy sport, also pretty quiet. That is where I took my ex when she was just starting out, and it worked out well, (at least for a little while).

By Dallas R
From Traveling the USA
Aug 10, 2014
Dallas R
For a little more drive you should check out Square Ledge, mountainproject.com/v/square-l...

You will need some trad to build an anchor at the top and some web, cord, or extra rope to extend it, but off the one anchor you can climb 3 or 4 routes. It is easily top roped by scrambling around the side.

If you wear out all the routes you can hit Wildcat for some zip lining or test your radiator by climbing MT Washington.

By beensandbagged
From R.I.
Aug 10, 2014
beer
Try this mountainproject.com/v/sundown-... page shows people with a TR set up two 5.4 plus.