Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Too hot in the Valley, where to climb in the summer????

By Ellenore Zimmerman
me

What are some of your favorite driveable from the bay area destinations to escape summer heat?

By Court
Jun 14, 2013

what type of climbing? tahoe has climbs from 6,000' up to 9,000'. if you're looking for longer multi-pitch at higher altitudes you may want sonora or the east side.
For tahoe, the south lake supertopo is by no means anywhere close to all inclusive, but for the climbs they do have listed, there is good info on which ones are better when it's hot out.

By Ellenore Zimmerman
me

trad multipitch, definitely trad multipitch! We will be even willing to drag out a bivi ledge there. Yosemite is a spring/fall kind of place especially for long routes and multi days on the wall. I would rather be cold than hot. We want to continue working on our big wall skills too before the fall season hits and we will be ready to head back out to the Valley.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Jun 14, 2013

How new are you to California?

By Ellenore Zimmerman
me

NorCalNomad wrote:
How new are you to California?

Born and raised in Oakland. Moved out to join the navy for four years in Diego, was stationed in Germany, Australia. Lived in Orange Co, for 15 years after college. Now live in Oakland with retired parents.

By Mike
From Phoenix
Jun 14, 2013
Doing the jump-across off The Mace.  I never get tired of this climb.  Photo by Wednesday Hugus.

craghead wrote:

By kilonot

Mike wrote:
Are you sure that you weren't born in another country, came to the USA to work as a nurse, and started dating some guy with a big beard? edit: Either way, head up into the High Sierra. There is a ton of great climbing up there without the heat, crowds, or scene of the Valley.

It's grammar might be a little too good to be Ellenor. Also, the posts follow a logical train of thought here.

By Gokul
At the "summit"

kilonot wrote:

Not so sure about that. Kinda smells like Ellenor.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Jun 14, 2013

Was wondering because if you've lived in California for even a few years you'd know Tahoe is perfect in the summer.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

NorCalNomad wrote:

Gokul wrote:
Not so sure about that. Kinda smells like Ellenor.

What is her smell? I always imagine a mix of BO and chlamydia.

Or maybe more of the sea, like Old Gregg.

By Ellenore Zimmerman
me

Mike wrote:

the question on how long I have been in the Valley was irrelevant, hence the little tale (I thought was cute) btw we did visit Oakland once.

By Ellenore Zimmerman
me

Colonel Mustard wrote:
Or the upper valley, the one that opens up every year around this time. Can't remember what it's called. Has a meadow, some mosquitoes, and a few domes? What is her smell? I always imagine a mix of BO and chlamydia. Or maybe more of the sea, like Old Gregg.

Mustard, you will never know, man.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

Damn, Gokul and Mike! Nailed it! Her! Him! Uh.... It!