Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New - School of Rock
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
To the person who took my red rope from pie shop S.Lake Tahoe!!!!
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By tom mahr
From s. lake
Mar 24, 2013
just playing

Im disapointed in people around here!Somebody took a red rope (fixed line) off the left side of the pie shop with my binner. (blue tape) If it is NOT YOURS dont touch it! I went out to rope solo and its gone. Im giving a chance to return them to me 530-314-3622. Im new to s.lake and never had a line stolen on me before in many yrs of climbing around the country! If you didnt know that was bad form then ok, but you should learn ethics! If you have no intentions of returning stolen goods,MAY KARMA FIND you! maybe someday someone can return the favor of sealing your gear!


A very disapointed Tom


FLAG
By vincent L.
From Redwood City
Mar 24, 2013
First day of school

Tom , just curious ... Was the rope left up over multiple days / weeks ? Just overnight?

If it was left fixed for a long period of time ... In a very visible manner , perhaps someone is sending a message that leaving your gear on the crag is unacceptable ?

I dunno... You didnt say which route it was on , or too many other details ...

Bummer about loosing gear though ... Ropes ain't cheap


FLAG
By slk
From Reno, NV
Mar 24, 2013
me

A very lazy Tom,

Don't leave your crap hanging!!!

Edited for Ben Chapstick's amusment: (However=Whoever) took the rope did the right thing since you're too lazy to be bothered...


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

I would never leave my $100+ gear laying outside because I don't trust you. Sucks this happened but maybe its what it takes for you to learn that.


FLAG
By Greg D
From Here
Mar 24, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Sounds like you got the message loud and clear. Any questions?


FLAG
By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Mar 24, 2013
Colonel Mustard

I usually throw those sort of ropes away when I clean the cliffs (I don't know where they've been). You should start checking garbage bins, Broseph.


FLAG
By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Mar 24, 2013
old 1/4" bolt.

slk....("however??") that was really the LOW road to take. It's NEVER okay to take someone else's gear, regardless of the circumstance. Just take it down, if it bothers you, and leave it at the trailhead or near the base. Tom....the question remains regarding the duration of your rope's tenure on the climb? Not cool, if it was more then a day or two, but as stated previously, it's never appropriate to take someone else's gear. Hope you get it back. You might not be the only one losing "karma points!"


FLAG
By shreddy
From Frisco, CO
Mar 24, 2013

it's never cool to leave your stuff laying around and not expect some one to take it down


FLAG
By slk
From Reno, NV
Mar 24, 2013
me

"Edited for Ben Chapstick's amusment: (However=Whoever) took the rope did the right thing since you're too lazy to be bothered..."

I meant whoever took the rope down, easy big guy. If you are calling me thief then a pox on you and your family! ;)

Really though, it's not necessary to leave up a fixed line at the Pie Shop.


FLAG
By RyanJames
Mar 24, 2013
Photo by Aaron Lavinsky

Another thread about this?! Wow! Tom, bad call on leaving your gear out. That sucks!


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

Probably not the response he was expecting to get lol.

Consider it an expensive lesson.


FLAG
By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Mar 24, 2013
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

Name one other outdoor recreational activity where it has been deemed "OK" or "ethically proper" to leave gear unattended on public lands for more than a few hours, for no reason other than you're too lazy to take it down.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

Jeremy Monahan wrote:
Name one other outdoor recreational activity where it has been deemed "OK" or "ethically proper" to leave gear unattended on public lands for more than a few hours, for no reason other than you're too lazy to take it down.


Camping?


FLAG
By Greg D
From Here
Mar 24, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

EricSchmidt wrote:
Camping?


Yes. Some use this as an apples to apples comparison to justify leaving fixed ropes. That's just plain stupid. A rope is not a temporary shelter.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

Greg D wrote:
Yes. Some use this as an apples to apples comparison to justify leaving fixed ropes. That's just plain stupid. A rope is not a temporary shelter.


Quit being dramatic, I am not trying to justify anything. He asked for one example of another outdoor recreation activity where its okay to leave gear behind.

Don't read into everything so much and stop being so sensitive sally!


FLAG
By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Mar 24, 2013

Could jave just been a common thief. The only time i had some gear stolen was up in Tahoe. We went around a corner to run up a line and forgot that we left our zip line around the corner. When we came back a short while later, we didn't see it lying around but saw a group of four other climbers leaving. We asked if they saw it. They said that another well known area climber had picked it up and taken it back to his shop. When we contacted the climber we found out the gang of four had stolen our rope and fingered the other climber. Bad, bad karma that.


FLAG
By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Mar 24, 2013
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

EricSchmidt wrote:
Camping?


Yes leaving a tent is justified, but I agree with Greg D that leaving a tent up is a valid reason because it is a shelter, a basic necessity to survive. Leaving a rope on a climb is not a necessity for survival. When you are camping, you leave a tent up to keep your gear dry, not because you are too lazy to take it down. Try again.


FLAG
By PRRose
From Boulder
Mar 24, 2013

Other outdoor activities where it is deemed ok to leave gear temporarily include mountaineering, camping, ice fishing, and hunting.

If necessity is somehow an issue (and I don't see how it is), a rope is a lot more necessary to survival than a run-of-the-mill camping tent.

It's that same stupid argument every time, whether it's a rope or draws. The ethical question worth pondering isn't is it ethical to leave a rope or draws, but is it ethical to take something that isn't yours. Most of us learned that one by the time we were in kindergarten, but I guess there will always be slow learners. Unless you happen to be a cop or ranger, in which case you might have been vested with the authority to do so.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

PRRose wrote:
Other outdoor activities where it is deemed ok to leave gear temporarily include mountaineering, camping, ice fishing, and hunting.


hahaha there ya go Jeremy Monohand, more examples. I would also say boating is another example where you leave a boat and go do the shuttle. Nice attempt at making a point though....

And 99/100 a tent left up is not a necessity of survival... Mainly just convenience because they don't feel like taking it down while they are out day hiking. NEXT, TRY AGAIN!


FLAG
By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Mar 24, 2013
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

PRRose wrote:
Other outdoor activities where it is deemed ok to leave gear temporarily include mountaineering, camping, ice fishing, and hunting.


I gather that most, if not all of the gear you would be leaving unattended would be along the lines of shelter or survival equipment (tents, bivy sacks, ice huts, etc.) Fixed ropes on a mountaineering route or ice climb are an ethical gray area, with climbers firmly on both sides. However, once these items are fixed, they are generally considered communal property, essentially abandoned gear. Of course there are no rules stating this, only loose ethics that can vary from place to place. IMHO, what the OP did was not fix a rope to leave it for the community, rather his own selfish pursuits. Abandoning gear overnight is always a risk, and most of the time you might be safe. But assuming or expecting that your gear will still be in place when you return is irresponsible, and kind of silly. This also goes for quickdraws on a route, although those leprechaun draw thieves are just soulless wastes of space.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

Jeremy Monahan wrote:
I gather that most, if not all of the gear you would be leaving unattended would be along the lines of shelter or survival equipment (tents, bivy sacks, ice huts, etc.)


You would gather wrong.... Just give it up man, you don't have a point, there are plenty of other outdoor recreation activities where gear gets left unattended. Trying to pretend like climbing is the only one is very inaccurate.

However I do agree he should not have expected his rope to still be there.


FLAG
By Paul-B
Mar 24, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

PRRose wrote:
Other outdoor activities where it is deemed ok to leave gear temporarily include mountaineering, camping, ice fishing, and hunting.


I don't think this is accurate. A: illegal to leave up an ice hut in Colorado, some states it is legal. B: Camping, only if it is private land or a paid campsite, in the backcountry if you have a permit, but there is a max amount of time you can spend in one spot. Mountaineering, i guess you are referring to fixed lines etc, don't have a comment about that. Hunting? Correct me if I am wrong, but you would not be allowed to place a tree stand and leave it on public property, would you?


FLAG
By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Mar 24, 2013
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

EricSchmidt wrote:
You would gather wrong.... Just give it up man, you don't have a point, there are plenty of other outdoor recreation activities where gear gets left unattended. Trying to pretend like climbing is the only one is very inaccurate. However I do agree he should not have expected his rope to still be there.



I could poke holes in this all day long, but I have a life other than being an obnoxious armchair warrior, so I'll ask you if you take your tent down when/if you go backpacking? Oh, nevermind.

"Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Thanks for the laugh Schmithead, you're adorable.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 24, 2013

Jeremy Monahan wrote:
I could poke holes in this all day long, but I have a life other than being an obnoxious armchair warrior, so I'll ask you if you take your tent down when/if you go backpacking? Oh, nevermind. "Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Thanks for the laugh Schmithead, you're adorable.


What are you poking holes in? There are obviously several other sports where gear is left unattended... So you are wrong on that point.

Like I said, I wouldnt expect to leave a rope hanging and still see it there the next day.


FLAG
By MikeI
Mar 24, 2013

Tom is right in that, "if it isn't yours, then leave it alone." I wonder how many of those that said, "too bad, so sad" would say that to the local hardmen/women, in Yosemite who leave cords to run laps on the Cookie.


FLAG
By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Mar 24, 2013
Bocan

Sure it sucks and stealing is lamesauce, but I've always said if you leave your things out and they get stolen...whose fault is it?

When you don't leave your bike unlocked, it doesn't get stolen. Climbers are no exception.

I feel your pain though.


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>