|Photos: ||Recent | Best | Popular|
|Lat, Long: ||40.0043, -105.4063 Map Incorrect?
|Page Views: ||10,379. Good page? |
|Administrators: ||Ben Mottinger, Leo Paik, John McNamee, Frances Fierst, Monomaniac, Kristine Hoffman|
|Submitted By: ||Orphaned on Sep 19, 2007|
Make this area a Favorite
Print a Mini-Guide with routes
Stemmed on the second pitch.
The Garden is in the center of the north face, in a secluded spot hidden from the road by large pine trees. There is only one sport route here (Before The Deluge); all the other routes are mixed, and require gear in addition to the bolts. Routes here range in difficulty from 5.7 to 5.11+, with most in the 5.8 to 5.9 range.
Outstanding routes include Before The Deluge, Crackdown, Showtime, and The B Boys.
The leftmost route (Just Do It) has its own anchor. The remaining routes (Fine Fir, Storm Warning, Before The Deluge, and Crackdown) share a 2-bolt anchor, on a pedestal about 65' up.
This common anchor is the starting point for four more routes: Showtime, Dutch Treat, Border Crossing, and The B Boys. All of these routes are mixed, and scale a beautiful, exposed pinnacle with great position. The hardest line in this area is Smooth Operator, 5.11+, which takes off after the first pitch of The B Boys.
From the start of Crackdown, a steep dirt path heads down and right to the Creekside area and Local Hero.
Eds. the beta photo has been deleted by its submitter.
Routes from left to right:
19. Just Do It, 9, 1p, gear and 2 bolts. Face and cracks on the left side of the wall. Lowering anchor with hooks.
20. Fine Fir, 7, 1p, gear and 2 bolts. Climbs past a pine tree 15' up the wall.
21. Storm Warning, 10a, 1p, toprope. Face just right of Fine Fir.
22. Before The Deluge, 10a, 1p, 5 bolts. Bolted face in center of wall.
23. Crackdown, 9, 1p, gear and 1 bolt. Finger crack on right side of wall.
Routes starting from the common anchor atop routes 20-23:
24. Showtime, 8+, 1p, gear and 1 bolt. Arete on left side of pinnacle.
25. Dutch Treat, 8, 1p, gear and 1 bolt. Starts on Showtime, and moves right to cracks in center of pinnacle.
26. Border Crossing, 8, 1p, gear and 1 bolt. Starts on Showtime, and moves right to left-facing corner right of Dutch Treat.
27. The B Boys, 11, 2p, 4 bolts and gear. Steep face, then technical stemming corner and roofs, merging with Border Crossing.
28. Smooth Operator, 11+, 1p, 8 bolts and gear. Starts after p1 of The B Boys and merges with Local Hero.
Cross the creek via the tyrolean, or wade or hop rocks if the water level is low enough.
Once across the creek, go to the tree on the far side of the tyrolean, and follow a path up left through the woods.
Take a sharp right just before the talus field on a level path heading upstream. Walk past several pine trees to a secluded clearing after 50'.
This approach takes about 5 minutes.
10 Total Routes
['4 Stars',0],['3 Stars',2],['2 Stars',6],['1 Star',2],['Bomb',0]
Browse More Classics in The Garden
Mountain Project's determination of some of the classic, most popular, highest rated routes for The Garden:
Dutch Treat 5.8 5b 16 VI- HVS 4c Trad, Sport, 2 pitches, 195'
Showtime 5.8+ 5b 16 VI- HVS 4c Trad, Sport, 2 pitches, 190'
The B Boys 5.10+ 6b+ 21 VII+ E3 5b Trad, Sport, 3 pitches, 200'
Featured Route For The Garden
Crackdown 5.9 5c 17 VI HVS 5a CO
: Boulder Canyon
: ... : The Garden
Crackdown is the rightmost route in The Garden. It climbs a tricky finger crack that's harder than it looks.Start on the far right side of The Garden below the obvious finger crack. Climb the crack, with some tricky moves, up to a bolt. Clip the bolt and continue to a good ledge. Climb a short left-facing corner, then move left and up the right edge of a slab. Pass the big pine tree on the left, and move up right to the anchor on a pedestal, about 10' above the tree.Belay here if you're doin...[more] Browse More Classics in CO
News and Events For The Garden
Latest Regional Forum Messages