The Couloir Left (North) of Guert's Ridge on Mt. Olympus

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Apr 20, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

It stuck out to me yesterday while driving on I-15. It looks like a pretty fun, moderately steep romp. Anyone here done it? Does it have a name?

By John Ross
From Wasatch Front, UT
Apr 20, 2012
FA of <a href='/v/gunner/106128521'>Gunner</a>, AF Cyn.

Check out Reese Couloir.

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Apr 20, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

That looks good, but it's not the one I'm referring to. That's on the north face, the one I'm thinking of is on the west face.

This is the one I'm referring to:

Couloir next to Guert's Ridge
Couloir next to Guert's Ridge

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Apr 20, 2012

Tristan, that is commonly known as the West Couloir. It gets skied now and then. It comes up along the ridgeline that demarcates the north face.

I should add it splits the north and south summits and if one continues east it drops into one of the Memorial Couloirs (I think #2) as #1 would be to the south. Check out the arial view on Google Maps it shows the couloir quite well.

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Apr 20, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

Awesome, Allen. Thanks.

By Arie
From Smog Lake City, Utah
Apr 21, 2012
BA Clive takes a seat.

It's a really cool area. I've skied it a few times over the years under various conditions- sometimes good. The bushwack at the bottom can be hateful, leaving or trying to get back to the Tolcat crossing- but includes a cool waterfall. I probably wouldn't consider it for a climb or approach- as it's pretty mellow (mostly low 30's). But it's definitely beautiful in there. And there's football fields of presumed unexplored rock leading up to Guerts.

By earl mcalister
From idaho
Apr 21, 2012
me

I've walked down a portion of that Couloir when we descended from doing West Slabs. Lots of stinging nettle. We weren't the first to do it, the down climbs (all easy on good rock) throughout the gully had tat at the top of them. Night descents or very inexperienced climbers probably. It was hot today. Hiked the trail and basked at the top with no shirt for a while. Hardly any snow to the top.