The 2010 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread
   Page 1 of 17.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

By Kevin Craig
Oct 11, 2010
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

About time to get this thread started for the year, though not much to report so far. We took a walk up to the Longs Peak cirque today (10-10) and didn't find much. Alexanders is totally dry. The Smear has a small start. Thin ice in The Loft and below Chasm Meadows. Through binoculars, looks like The Notch and Dreamweaver might have enough old, gray ice at the bottom and intervals above to provide an adventure for hardy souls. Nothing else on the east face of Longs appears to be in or running water. Martha is dry which isn't too surprising. A few flurries during the day. With luck, the area got some precip this evening. Will keep folks posted as I'm out and about looking.

Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

Loft Ice
Loft Ice

Peacock and Columbine Falls
Peacock and Columbine Falls

Martha
Martha

Longs East face
Longs East face

Alexander's
Alexander's

Smear of Fear (what there is of it)
Smear of Fear (what there is of it)

The Notch
The Notch

By erik wellborn
From manitou springs
Oct 11, 2010
Top of Bridalveil, feelin good

Looking pretty lean out there....

By jack roberts
Oct 11, 2010

I have just one word for you young man................Are you ready? Necrophilia.

By Eli Helmuth
From Estes Park, CO
Oct 11, 2010
Eli on the FA of Grizzly (M9) at the Den.

dry last night...
not shaping up to be a good ice year in RMNP - too dry with a low water table and lack of early season snow to feed the fall ice...luckily Canada is not too far away (or northern Wyoming).
Scratching around on dry rock is always an option, but I'd prefer to chalk-up in Eldo given the likely conditions.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Oct 11, 2010
OMG, I winz!!!

Yea not off to a great start but who knows what this year will bring. There is plenty of winter to come and good old crampons on rock is fun too.

By Matt Shepard
From Broomfield, CO
Oct 11, 2010
Longs Peak Cirque

Lincoln Falls 10/10/10
Lincoln Falls 10/10/10

Here is a shot of Lincoln Falls On 10/10/10. I looked at it through binoculars and there was lots of flowing water and not much solid ice.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Oct 11, 2010
Axes glistening in the sun

Drove by lincoln falls yesterday and it looks (from rt9)like it is starting to come in. Was snowing above treeline yesterday.

By mtoensing
From Boulder
Oct 11, 2010
Props to my home state show

ahhh Kevin you beat me to starting this thread this year!! It is going to be a good year. Have an ice time everyone.

By mtoensing
From Boulder
Oct 14, 2010
Props to my home state show

Hey slackers. go climb some ice and then post some conditions. (i am going to check out conditions in the san juans, I'll let you know what's up when I get back. Later)

By Kevin Coopman
Oct 18, 2010
What I do for a Living

Hey,

I was in Prince William Sound this summer and saw some great potential ice climbs. I am totaling thinking about doing a mission to them ....
has anyone climbed these before? I would totally love to sea kayak to them with gear and climb them.

Kevin

Flow in Prince William Sound.
Flow in Prince William Sound.

By John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Oct 18, 2010
Bastille Crack Final Pitch

Anyone have any suggestions for dry tooling spots around Boulder? Just got my boots in and I'm dying to try em out.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Oct 18, 2010
Bocan

John Maguire wrote:

mountainproject.com/v/colorado__rocky_mountain_region/denver>>>

This thread should help you either find a place or give up trying.

By Stephen Berwanger
From Montrose, CO
Oct 19, 2010
Summit of Sunlight

Loch Vale:
Mixed Feelings: M5 will go to top w/o ice
Direct start to M.F.: hard M7
Blade runner: really techy M8
Free strike zone: M7+

Lots more all TRable

Go Get Some!!!!!!!!!!!

By Koy
From Denver, CO
Oct 19, 2010
1st ice pitch above the Black Pyramid on 6/26/09.

No surprise, but the I-70 corridor (Officers, Vail) is pretty much bone dry at the moment.

By Ty Harlacker
From Albuquerque, NM
Oct 20, 2010
Silverton

Thanks for taking the pictures. Super cool, much thanks.

By Stephen Berwanger
From Montrose, CO
Oct 22, 2010
Summit of Sunlight

Spent yesterday scoping ice around Silverton and the high basins. No good news, water flowing, snow on the ground, no ice.

By Jaaron Mankins
From Bayfield, CO
Oct 22, 2010
San Juans.

Thanks for saving me a trip up there Steve. It has been extremely warm round here. A couple more weeks maybe. Let's get out!!

Something to whet the whistle....

You know, Ouray??
You know, Ouray??

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Oct 23, 2010
OMG, I winz!!!

It's finally snowing! I've got next Thursday and Friday off so if conditions are promising maybe I'll take the tools for a walk and see what's going on up in the park.

By John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Oct 25, 2010
Bastille Crack Final Pitch

Chris Plesko wrote:

Hey Chris - Let me know if you want some company on Friday. I'll have the day off as well.

John Maguire
508 320 1767

By Garrett R.
From Colorado
Oct 27, 2010

No pictures, but the Shroud in Officer's Gulch went from zero ice to mostly covered (not what I would call climbable yet) within the past few days.

By jack roberts
Oct 27, 2010

Just for eveyone's information this season..........

Jack Roberts

By James Beissel
From Boulder, CO
Oct 27, 2010
Ghostride da whip!

Hey Chris, I might be game also. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

By Aaron M
From Westminster, CO
Oct 27, 2010
Me

jack roberts wrote:
Just for eveyone's information this season.......... The Sue Nott Memorial Bridge has been washed out. That means that all ice climbers will probably have to park in one of two places...... Either by the restrooms off the Frontage Road, next to the golf course or over by the Booth Creek Trail head. Everywhere else is illegal unless you have a permit and subject to a $20 fine. This includes the cul-du-sac over by the Firehouse area. Parking over by the restrooms means limited parking(8 spots)and having to walk along the path to a closer bridge. Jack Roberts

Thanks Jack!

Just to clearify, the parking at the restrooms is or isn't open?

Cheers,
Aaron

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Oct 27, 2010
Me, of course

Aaron M wrote:
Thanks Jack! Just to clearify, the parking at the restrooms is or isn't open? Cheers, Aaron

You can always park at the crappers, if there's a spot open, that is the catch.

By jack roberts
Oct 27, 2010

Aaron,

The parking at the restrooms IS open. I'm trying to get permission for cars to be parked alongside the Frontage Road. Notice all the cars (skiers, snowboarders ) that park alongside the road when the Vail garages are full. Those cars rarely, if ever get ticketed. At the moment if it isn't posted you are supposed to be able to park along the Frontage Road. BUT when CDOT doesn't plow far enough over, cars can't be parked there because they are partly in the road.
All that needs to happen is for the plows to go far enough over so there is enough room for people to park. The problem is more complicated than that but it involves the city of Vail, Vail and Associates, CDOT and more.

For the moment the only two spots we can park without receiving a parking ticket is Booth Creek Trailhead and the area by the restrooms.
Anywhere else you receive a parking ticket. Just chalk the $20 up to the admission fee to climb ice in Vail...........

Fill your cars up with climbers and split the ticket 4 ways.......

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Oct 27, 2010
How I Send

the early bird catches the spot and the ice.

Page 1 of 17.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>