Tent stakes as carry on

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
May 24, 2013
Imaginate

I searched and did not find. Therefor I ask you,

What's the deal with bringing tents in your carry on? Can I do it? Will the stakes be a problem?

I'm going to Puerto Rico on Saturday, I'm planning to bring a tent in carry on, and the pegs I have look like

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
May 24, 2013
El Chorro

Depends on the airport but yea, theyd probably be an issue. Not speaking from experience though.

By Emmett Lyman
From Washington, DC
May 28, 2013
Personal photo

I've flown with them before and had no issues. I keep mine all bundled together and with other various metal camping-type hardware. They haven't even opened up my bag to have a look.

By Woodchuck ATC
May 28, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Isn't it easy enough to pull the tent peg baggie out of tent and store them in checked luggage for the air part of the trip? Seems it would eliminate any unexpected airport problems.

By Ian Stewart
May 28, 2013

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

That's assuming he's checking luggage. I pack light and avoid checking luggage whenever possible for convenience and safety.

By BSheriden
May 28, 2013

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Doh! And what if he is not checking a bag?

Thought it was pretty common knowledge that people avoid checking a bag whenever possible due to all the new fees.... Have you not flown in the last decade?