Talking about science because mother doesn't love me.
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Orphaned

By bradyk
Mar 31, 2012

You should now retire this rope or....YERGONNADIE!

By $t0& 960
From Colorado
s

Pictures of the rope please

By OReid
From Denver, CO
preparing to rap over a crevasse; Mt. Waddington, Bravo Glacier Route

The correct choice would have been baking soda and copious quantities of water. As it is, you added an oxidizing base (bleach) to an oxidizing acid (sulfuric acid). It's probable the reaction of these two would have evolved chlorine gas. Another strong oxidizing agent. To make a long story short, your rope is now so much trash.

By $t0& 960
From Colorado
s

Chlorine gas is toxic should we send the paramedic?

By $t0& 960
From Colorado
s

johnL wrote:
Paranoid

Medications

By OReid
From Denver, CO
preparing to rap over a crevasse; Mt. Waddington, Bravo Glacier Route

johnL wrote:
Paranoid

Your decision. I'm just telling you you're wrong about the chemistry.

By brenta
From Boulder, CO
Mar 31, 2012
Cima Margherita and Cima Tosa in the Dolomiti di Brenta.  October 1977.

I'm reminded of the guy who had never seen a thermos bottle.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Bucky

OReid wrote:
Your decision. I'm just telling you you're wrong about the chemistry.

Fffft. That my friend, is the sound a joke makes when it zings over your forehead.
From my perspective, john sounds super safe....he has a bomber rope and he is apparently off his meds. On belay sir.

By bparry
From Branford
Me on the Pleasure Dome, Tuolomne

I knew a post-doc at a particular IV league institution who had the misfortune of spilling 12N HCl. Some of it splashed in his eyes. Fearing for his sight, he quickly splashed a concentrated sol'n of KOH in his eyes.

Lucky for you, your poorly planned science experiment only involved a rope.

By frankstoneline
Mar 31, 2012

This obviously isnt an issue. You only spilled a little bit of acid so the sheath definitely absorbed it and the core should be fine. You're lucky rope strength is provided by the core.

By $t0& 960
From Colorado
s

Hey seriously if you spill chemo all over yourself do you lose your hair? I was always curious about that. Medications in right dosages taken as prescribed could be a wonderful thing.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

It's a good thing it was only a V6 catalyst, 'cause that's weak shit at best...

Are you f'n kidding me, John? Your rope is toast.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

Maybe so, but I didn't try to get my rope to mate with a battery and make a bunch of little ropes.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

Has anyone ever given electric ropes serious consideration?

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

like a non-conducting type deal?

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

No, transmitting voltage. Batteries + ropes.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Mathematical!

April Fools!

By R. Moran
From Moab , UT
REtro

What a loser noob, still using rope.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

If I remember, wet nylon offered a more conductive result applying Ohm's law. 'Dielectrics' were more insulative, but that being their purpose anyway; granted these are not climbing ropes.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
Apr 3, 2012
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows

johnL wrote:
So I was working on my Mustang in the garage (a sweet 88' V6 with a little rust) and I spilled a little battery acid on my rope. The Lynard Skynnard was loud but not so loud that I forgot my highscool chemistry. I grabbed a bottle of bleach and dumped it over the affected area neutralizing the acid. I'm glad I remembered to do that, ropes are expensive. Sometimes I think I'm a genius.

I spilled some wine on a shirt once. I just soaked the entire shirt in wine instead of trying to get that damn spot out. Next time soak the rope in whatever you spill on it, so at least you know it's evenly affected. Homogeneity is important.

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
Apr 3, 2012
25' drop...wheeeeee!

Amateur hour. You should've used lye. It's a way better base and will leave a much purer salt in your rope. Also, get with the times and crank up some NOEffects.

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 3, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

John Marsella wrote:
"nolar", duh

M is molar...N is 'normal', another measure of acidity that I can't remember what it stands for and I truly don't care anymore either.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 3, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

JesseT wrote:
Amateur hour. You should've used lye.

Remember when Joey put lye in the Bedbug's coffee? Man, that was sweet. Oh, wait. Mickey Rourke was Joey. "Joeeeeeey! Dey took my thumb!!!!" Yeah.

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
Apr 3, 2012
25' drop...wheeeeee!

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

N (normality) refers to the number of H+ ions in an acidic solution or OH- ions in a basic solution per liter. 6M HCl is the same as 6N HCl since it's monoprotic. 6M H2SO4 is equivalent to 12N H2SO4 since it's diprotic (effectively twice as acidic per mole).

Sorry about making this thread somewhat informative. Carry on.

By T.Dailey
From Avon
Apr 3, 2012
Morning #1 of 25

Your going to need a ton of Sharpie markers to color in your bleached rope. It's fine, I use it to mark the middles of all my ropes.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>