Suggestions for warmer climbing pants for girls?

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
So I am on the lookout for new climbing pants for colder climbing, but not yet full ice climbing gear times. I have been using a pair of surprisingly stretchy jeans from Brazil for the last three years, and they are getting holes all over them, destroying their "keeping me warm" capabilities.

I have a billion pairs of hiking pants that bill themselves as hiking/climbing pants, but they just don't have the full range of movement IMHO. I would like a thicker material that can stand up to the occassional squeeze chimney or offwidth, but with plenty of stretch to easily get my foot above my waist. Any suggestions welcome! I would prefer a pant cut for a lady, but even pants for guys will be considered if they really fit the bill.

Thanks in advance!

Alicia

By JenH
From Denver, CO
RRG
Mammut Couramayeur, bass ass pants

By Jonny d
Sep 16, 2013
Have a pair of Patigucci's Alpine Guide pants. Tore out the ripstop knee on my first use of them skiing groomers. Not impressed.

On the other hand, I've had a pair of Beyond Fleece (now Beyond Clothing?) Schoeller fabric pants for ten years. Comfortable in winter and summer (throw on some tights or long undies to make 'em extra warm in winter). I put a couple of crampon holes in them, but the holes didn't get any bigger even when I didn't stitch them. Hike, climb, mountaineer, ski, do whatever in them. Love them. Plus, they were relatively inexpensive and made to order.

If you can't find them on the web, I'm sure you can get their number from the guys with the number to Rock and Resole.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
I am chasing down the Beyond Clothing pants. I like the idea of custom fit made to the specific measurements of the user. I have seen the difference it makes in packs, why not pants?

Thanks for the suggestions to all!

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...
"Suggestions for warmer climbing pants for girls?"

Get 'em super baggy and let me get in there with you PLEASE!

I guarantee WARMTH!

signed,

harmless, yet perverted OLDER man

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Sep 16, 2013
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.
I have Mammut Champ pants, Patagonia Alpine Guide pants and Rab Exodus pants. All are decent. The Rabs are the warmest, but have thigh vents for warmer, lower altitudes. Wore these on ascents of Whitney (April) and Rainier (Aug). They shed light snow very well and stayed dry in a snowstorm.

The Champs are the lightest and least windproof of the 3, and I use them for cool weather day climbs. Beware the waist on the Champs is quite high by modern standards, but they stay in place nicely, and don't put the waistband under a pack hipbelt. Comfy, but not fashionable.

The Alpine Guides are in the middle. Waist is also high and out of the way. I wear these for 1 day climbs in cool weather, and they were plenty for a week in the Tetons. All 3 pants are easy to roll to the knee if it gets warm.

By kenzie.
Sep 16, 2013
I was on the lookout for colder weather climbing pants last year and stumbled upon Horny Toad's Checkov pants. They aren't billed as climbing/hiking pants but were perfect for what I wanted - cut for a lady but still plenty of room to move (and wear leggings underneath for cold mornings), not cargo pants, no zip off legs, durable fabric but not typical hiking pants fabric, rolls up easily at ankles... I think they're great and so far they've held up well (I have worn them 1.5 winters and they still look good enough to wear to work).

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
Locker wrote:
"Suggestions for warmer climbing pants for girls?" Get 'em super baggy and let me get in there with you PLEASE! I guarantee WARMTH! signed, harmless, yet perverted OLDER man

I have a hard enough time pulling overhangs without the extra weight of a passenger!

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...
OK then!

LOL!

;-)

By reboot
From Westminster, CO
Sep 16, 2013
I obviously can't comment onon fit, but if you want a pair of pants for wide cracks, make sure the inside surface is at least somewhat textured. A lot of the soft shell (like the mammut pants mentioned earlier) are fine, but some like prana stretch zion absolutely blows. Smooth inside surface means your skin will slide against the material & possibly you off the crack.

By bearbreeder
Any softshell pants

If yr still cold get a pair of cheap windproof fleece ones

Course the durty ole men will keep u warm too

;)

By CollinOConnor
Hangin out on a boulder at Governor Stable
Check out the prana fleece lined jeans. One of my female friends has them and loves them for climbing/hanging out in cold weather. I have the mens version and after climbing in them in winter temps, i definitely recommend them. They're a bit spendy, but totally worth it.

By Hmann2
the fridge leavenworth
Beyond clothing is dope! I have a few pairs of prototype pants from them and dont have anything bad to say.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Had a feeling this thread would get perverted/creepy. Was not disappointed.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Middle
Simple guide pants from Patagonia or Rab trecking pants.

I had a very negative experience with Beyond that resulted in a chargeback. Not worth the energy to rehash but I highly recommend against ordering anything custom from them.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
reboot wrote:

Good point. I could use a little extra help in that area. Thanks all for the feedback.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
find a resale shop and go for some old Wool Knickers,,,can't go wrong with good old wool for winter warmth.

By MaraC
Sep 16, 2013
taking a break from climbing shoes before rapping off Arrow
I have a pair of Rab softshell pants from R&S that I've worn ice climbing and winter rock climbing. I don't remember which model they are, but they have long vents through the thighs, and I LOVES them, precious.

We should climb one of these weekends. :p

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Sep 17, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
Mara! I would love to climb with you, but you seem to be on endless road trip. I hear you are heading to NRG this week, lucky bastard! Maybe I will see you out the weekend of the 28th.

Have fun in WV!

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Sep 17, 2013
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3
patagonia simple guide. they are the less burly version of the alpine guide (which is quite warm mountaineering pant)