Standards/ ethics for camping at the crag?

By ElGringo
From denver
Mar 23, 2014
So what are the standards that you live by for/ while camping and climbing? Just the basic principals that you follow on a regular basis.

For example...

I vehemently camp in previously occupied spots; tent, fire and all other "wear" spots.

Also, make the effort to go to the bathroom. Its worth that much more fresh air.

Watch the Cryptobiotic soil, dogs included!

Traditional pay camping (I.E. NFS/ NPS seasonal campgrounds)- you get what you get. Obvious boundaries exist. But you pay for the security of the site.

Dispersed/ free camping is at least a 200 ft. rule, if its free and primitive and we should all be able to find our own.

Lastly, dogs. Watch the damn dogs. Nobody wants to discipline your dog, and your ego might not like the way in which your cute little pooch is dealt with 100 yards away.

Six points, in the vastness of being outside am I missing something? Besides the obvious rowdy fireworks and guns and Def Leppard. Actually, I'll keep the Def Leppard

By Gunkiemike
Mar 23, 2014
Leave No Trace (www.lnt.org). "Nuf said.

By 5.samadhi
Mar 23, 2014
me
^ Uh, no dude. Leave a fucking trace you're a human being using a recreational area how can you not.

I try not to pound my tent stakes in when I know somebody is sleeping 10 feet away from me in another tent.

Try not to blast music (death metal) too early in the AM.

Try not to blow marijuana smoke through somebody's tent when they're sleeping.

Shit where nobody will get into it, dogs included (this means bury it duh).

Burn TP

contain your campsite "squalor" to some degree.

By Nielsonru
Mar 23, 2014
^^
I like how you you claim leave no trace is dumb, then you proceed to describe leave no trace minded ideas. Perhaps you don't really get what "Leave No trace" means.

If you were to apply the phrase "Leave no trace" to everything you do, your are 99% there. People get the moronic idea that in the wilderness, where no one is looking, they will be the first and only to crap in camp or leave trash behind, and that it won't hurt anyone else, a week goes by and 6 other parties do the same thing, then the whole area goes to pot. Sadly it takes 6 people practicing Leave No Trace to make up for 1 who disregards the whole process.

So to reiterated the 2nd post. Leave No Trace.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mar 23, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
I never play amplified music while camping. Ever. I can do that in the car for the ride down or listen to my iPod. Please do the same.

Get a vibe for your camp neighbors. See if you can all share a campfire or at least agree to congregate at one in the evening to socialize. Have some drinks/food to pass around. Make it a party and then everyone feels like part of the same group. The loudness will matter less after that. It's always nice to make new friends like this while camping.

By 5.samadhi
Mar 23, 2014
me

Then I laugh.

By vincent L.
From Redwood City
Mar 23, 2014
First day of school
Totally agree with the music , and even loud voices . If I can see other folks I try to leave as small of a sound footprint as possible .

Lastly , if there is a neighbor , I try to go say hi to them , a little small talk , share a beer etc . I've met some really interesting people like that . Maybe there's also some small hope that if that person 'knows' you , they would be less likely to steal from you , and perhaps look out for your stuff , and I would do likewise ... having stuff get stolen in Camp 4 comes to mind .

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Mar 24, 2014
I've never heard of a 200' rule. Stay away from Jacks canyon in summer. It becomes more like 10' or so; I try to keep my distance but it isn't always possible. Besides, I like hearing the neighbors getting it on...

By J mac
Mar 24, 2014
Zermatt
5.samadhi wrote:
Whenever I toss my apple core into the brush at the base of a cliff somebody from Boulder, CO always pipes up and tells me "hey man leave no trace!" Then I laugh.

And yes, I am a dirty tree huger from Boulder.

By The Blueprint Part Dank
From FEMA Region VIII
Mar 24, 2014
Better quality
J mac wrote:
Then maybe you should stop throwing your apple core in the bush. Pack it out along with all of your trash. Just becasue it is natural does not mean you can chuck it anywhere. Especially in the desert where it will take ages to decompose. And yes, I am a dirty tree huger from Boulder.

Agreed w/r/t the desert. But if you're somewhere like the PNW or the North/Southeast where there's a lot more moisture, you have every right to laugh, because that's ridiculous.

By Alex Washburne
Mar 24, 2014
I eat crack for breakfast.
Leave no trace. Be considerate of others there & yet to come.

Try to be f***ing ninja - it can actually be quite fun to disguise your presence.

By J Q
Mar 24, 2014
Me again!
I act fascist as hell and demand that everyone does what I say, I have found this technique is the best way to avoid conflict with me.

By tom donnelly
Mar 24, 2014
-Drive a very fuel efficient car.

By 5.samadhi
Mar 25, 2014
me
tom donnelly wrote:
-Drive a very fuel efficient car. -Park in the existing dirt spot. Don't expand the parking area by parking and camping on the border of the already disturbed area. Bring a tarp to cover the dirt. - I have not tried this but anyone ever have a fake campfire? just use a rechargeable led lamp, maybe with a lava lamp effect. And wear very warm clothes.

You dont walk on dirt? Thats weird.