Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Sport routes in metrowest MA/ NE CT?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By MRock
Jul 11, 2013
Split shin after 5.9+ R lead
Traveling back to see the parents and friends for 13 days. Bringing my rope and draws. Gonna be staying in revere, ma, Millis, ma and stafford, ct. Looking for sport routes up to 5.10+. Seems like most places are TR or trad. Which I'm fine with too, I'll just stock up on some static line. But I would love to clip some bolts with some old friends. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

FLAG
By josh villeneuve
From Enfield, CT
Jul 11, 2013
Farley ledge, Mormon hollow, Rose Ledge, Not much quality in CT other than Fire wall and Ragged Mountain

FLAG
By The Phoenix
Jul 11, 2013
The Phoenix
josh villeneuve wrote:
Farley ledge, Mormon hollow, Rose Ledge, Not much quality in CT other than Fire wall and Ragged Mountain


Not sure if you're just trying to mislead him but there's plenty of high quality climbing in CT. If all you've been to are those two crags you got a lot of stuff left to check out. I would recommend using the advanced search tool here on this site for sport routes in CT and you will find some of the published routes. Despite what josh wrote above, Chatfield Hollow has amazing rock and some incredible routes, IMO the best sport climbing in the state on the whole.

FLAG
By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Jul 11, 2013
Eiger summit
Although nothing too extensive, there is some decent sport climbing in CT at Chatfield Hollow, Bear Rock, Pine Ledge, and FireWall See: the April Rock and Ice article. Most of the sport climbing is not on Mountain Project. For beta: climbri.com/CT-Sport-Guide.htm

FLAG
By Eric8
From Framingham
Jul 11, 2013
Would not exactly called chatfield hallow NE CT more like southern...

FLAG
By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Jul 11, 2013
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3
firewall is craprock. then again so is most of ct.

FLAG
By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Jul 11, 2013
Eiger summit
Eric8 wrote:
Would not exactly called chatfield hallow NE CT more like southern...


According to Google Maps from Stafford, CT to Chatfield Hollow is 62 miles and Farley is 55. Not a heck of a lot of difference. The other places I mention are closer. You have to drive a bit to get to sport climbing in New England. Rumney is 183 miles.

FLAG
By Nick Votto
Jul 11, 2013
Bolton, VT
If your limit is 5.10+ I wouldn't even bother with Chatfield as most of the bolted stuff is hard, and really there isn't much. Firewall would be worth a day but that's it, climbing hard on traprock in the heat is awful. Head up to Farley or go to East Peak and set up some top ropes later in the day (shade).

FLAG
 
By Nick Votto
Jul 11, 2013
Bolton, VT
And watch out for deer ticks! They're everywhere, avoid brush and check your legs...

FLAG
By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Jul 11, 2013
Eiger summit
Nick Votto wrote:
If your limit is 5.10+ I wouldn't even bother with Chatfield...


Good warning on Chatfield. I little known area that I think has some really fun routes on solid rock is Pine Ledge in Deep River. Most of the routes there are in the 5.9-5.10 range. It is also fairly well shaded.

FLAG
By josh villeneuve
From Enfield, CT
Jul 11, 2013
The Phoenix wrote:
Not sure if you're just trying to mislead him but there's plenty of high quality climbing in CT. If all you've been to are those two crags you got a lot of stuff left to check out. I would recommend using the advanced search tool here on this site for sport routes in CT and you will find some of the published routes. Despite what josh wrote above, Chatfield Hollow has amazing rock and some incredible routes, IMO the best sport climbing in the state on the whole.



Oops...I totally forgot about Chatfield, Sweet Crag!!! I've done a decent amount in CT but seriously we don't have much.

FLAG
By Morgan Patterson
Administrator
Jul 11, 2013
Stoked...
josh villeneuve wrote:
Oops...I totally forgot about Chatfield, Sweet Crag!!! I've done a decent amount in CT but seriously we don't have much.


We have WAY more then you think... No lack of rock, only partners and time.

FLAG
By josh villeneuve
From Enfield, CT
Jul 11, 2013
CaptainMo wrote:
We have WAY more then you think... No lack of rock, only partners and time.


Well then...I move back in August, show me around my Master! Besides I have to make it up to you for breaking holds off your climb at Chatfield hahaha

FLAG
By Morgan Patterson
Administrator
Jul 11, 2013
Stoked...
josh villeneuve wrote:
Well then...I move back in August, show me around my Master! Besides I have to make it up to you for breaking holds off your climb at Chatfield hahaha



haha... Deal! There's some serious developing to do this fall in CT.

FLAG
By MRock
Jul 12, 2013
Split shin after 5.9+ R lead
Thanks for the beta dudes. Looks like Rumney might be in the cards, my mother is letting me borrow her prius... Can't wait!

FLAG
By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Jul 12, 2013
Rumney
MRock wrote:
my mother is letting me borrow her prius...


Always wonder what demographic bought those things. :p

FLAG
 


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.