South East Colorado Destinations?

By Anthony P.
Jun 10, 2011

Hey Guys,

I am moving back up to Colorado and my grandmother offered to let me use her rental property for free to base out of while I look for a place up around the Boulder area. The only problem is that it's in La Junta and I don't know anything about that area. Is there anything around: bouldering, sport, trad, whatever that I can jump on during the week? I know that I can pretty much make a weekend of anywhere else, but I'm sure I'll be busy hunting for a place.

By slim
Jun 10, 2011
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

there is a small volcanic plug/tower down in SE colorado somewhere, can't remember exactly. has a route that goes at 5.9R. also, i have seen some photos of an area, i think near the commanche grasslands park, that looked like it had good sandstone bouldering. hopefully somebody will post something.

By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Jun 10, 2011
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

Sounds like there was minimal bouldering development here (which is close to La Junta): www.b3bouldering.com/2010/04/12/apishapa/

Shelf road (mountainproject.com/v/shelf-road/105744267) is about 2 hrs from La Junta as well which is probably your best bet.

Otherwise La Junta is in the middle of nowhere with some decent touristy things to do like visit Bent's Old fort and a lot of Indian sites.

By P.K.
Jun 10, 2011

www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Colo>>>

looks like there is some toproping options.....still the drive to shelf is probably worth it

By Anthony P.
Jun 10, 2011

Thanks for the responses guys. Yea, I know Shelf Rd. is probably the closest place with any abundant climbing. I figured there probably wasn't much around. I'll keep an eye open for anything though.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jun 10, 2011
rockerwaves

Olaf Mitchell bouldering at John Martin Res. SE CO. <br />Photo : Janice.
Olaf Mitchell bouldering at John Martin Res. SE CO.
Photo : Janice.

Anthony, depending on the level of the water, The north side of John Martin Reservoir offers some damn good deep water bouldering. I have spent quite a bit of time down there wind surfing and bouldering. I probably have more photos in my archives but this one was handy.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Jun 10, 2011
Stabby

www.mountainproject.com/v/spanish-peaks/105801651
It has been generally considered that if some true developers lived local and figured out how to negotiate the public/private land maze and also where the good stone is that there is a s**tload of potential down there.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jun 11, 2011
rockerwaves

Access could be an issue but if you check out drainages that cross roads down in that region you might be surprised at the amount of decent bouldering you find. There are select secret stashes that I have heard of. Good luck!

By Jeff.Vincent
Oct 16, 2011

I recently took a teaching job in the tiny town of Walsh, and I've spent the last couple of months combing the canyons around Kim for boulders. There is quite a bit of very soft sandstone, but there are also a good number of solid house-sized blocks in Picture Canyon, which I stumbled on just yesterday. And I'm sure these are just the tip of the iceberg.

Picture Canyon