Snakes at the Red River Gorge

By J Meagher
Jan 2, 2014

How common are snakes (particularly Copperheads) and snake bites at the Red River Gorge during mid-April?

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Jan 2, 2014
Meme guy

Snake bite
Snake bite

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Jan 2, 2014
You stay away from mah pig!

During April they are not really at their peak yet; mid-summer is when you see the most. I can't recall ever seeing one in the early spring at the RRG.

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Jan 3, 2014
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

They are every where most of the year. Just be smart and know when it is hot enough. Think about rocks bathed in sunshine. Coperheads aren't the best climbers, so worrying about themhigh up is low. Not many people die of copperhead bites. They are the least potent venom. Hospitals often only give you antihistimine. If snakes worry you though, find another sport or only climb in the colder months.

By Be Esperanza
From Asheville, NC
Jan 3, 2014
OKellys Crack, J Tree

I met a grad student who was doing snake surveys. He told me every acre of land in that area had at least 5 copperheads. I wouldn't worry about it too though. They aren't aggressive.

By Mike Knight
Jan 3, 2014

really not bad been down in all the warm summer the months spring summer and fall as well. Have only witnessed one snake on a rock far away. I wouldnt worry about them.

By WDW4
Jan 3, 2014
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

I've hiked and climbed in all seasons in the Red, have seen plenty (10?) copperheads, only one of them ever tried to taste me, because I accidentally set my pack down on it (it was a baby, hidden under the leaves). I never cancel a trip because of snakes, just keep an eye out in sunny areas.

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jan 3, 2014

TomCaldwell wrote:

Some of them can climb Gunks 5.3 (ie, RRG 10a)! Encountered a baby copperhead about 50 feet up Three Pines. He got away from me as fast as he could, though.

By Chris Massey
Jan 3, 2014

My partner and I almost stepped on top of one going though that little slot between Oompa/Loompa and Pure Imagination at the Choc Factory. Right on the trail. Just keep your eyes open. That was in May I think. The babies can be worse as they often do not control the amount of venom they release. Part of being outdoors in general not just climbing. I was also sitting on a bridge in Muir when Mrs Weber recommended that I move because copperheads nest in the steps.

By Thierry
From Murfreesboro, TN
Jan 3, 2014

www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/kysnakes/browse/venomous/

Optimistic wrote:
Some of them can climb Gunks 5.3 (ie, RRG 10a)!

Spraying and denigrating all in one sentence -- well done! :-)

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jan 3, 2014

Thierry wrote:
www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/kysnakes/browse/venomous/ Spraying and denigrating all in one sentence -- well done! :-)

One of the few times in my climbing career I've done anything efficient! I may have exaggerated slightly for artistic purposes. Not about the snake, though!

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Jan 5, 2014
You stay away from mah pig!

Optimistic wrote:

By 5.samadhi
Jan 5, 2014
me

^ haha awesome

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jan 5, 2014

Ha! Got a chuckle out of that one!

By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 5, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I remember Webers leaving a message on RRG site that a snake had taken up residence on or near one of the big bridge crossings last summer, a very large mean female. Never saw it, but always watched when I crossed heading to Johnnys Wall areas. Saw a copperhead once down at the river, way up north of the tunnel somewhere several years ago..that's all I've seen at the gorge.

By Tim Powers
From Indiana
Jan 8, 2014
The FA of Return of Manimal.

I have seen them everywhere in the RRG, there are more sightings in warmer weather.I have seen quite a few dogs get bitten. Usually not a problem up high on routes. The route Little Viper at Muir is named for a snake encounter during the FA.

By Emmanuel B
Jan 8, 2014

I saw one last year precisely at that time of the year (mid April). We were on our way to the Chocolate Factory. It was crossing the trail we were on and didn't see us (I think). The hardest part was to try to deal with my girlfriend who was freaking out.

By meghan c.
From san antonio, tx
Jan 8, 2014
zion

Trouser snake ... whole pits of em.