Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Shoplifting at Neptune Mountaineering?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 5 of 6.  <<First   <Prev   3  4  5  6   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Turd Ferguson! wrote:
Have you ever met an REI employee that can tell their head from their ass?


Actually, the guy who does the climbing section at mine has been climbing locally for decades and is quite a resource for local beta.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Turd Ferguson! wrote:
+1 Have you ever met an REI employee that can tell their head from their ass? And congrats, EricSchmidt, on working for the Walmart of the outdoor industry! Do you ever wear your vest to the crag to show off?


Agreed there are lots of morons who work at REI but also lots of very knowledgeable people. Also I was not making $8 an hour and not wearing a green vest, that is just the rate they start people off at cashering...

Also Turd since apparently I need to repeat this for you... multiple times.... I worked PART TIME at REI while I was working my way through grad school. Yes you dont get paid much but prodeals and a free season pass to six ski areas certainly makes up for it!


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Well, Eric, I'm home now so off to crack a beer and unload the car. Thanks for confirming all the suspicions I had about you.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Well, Eric, I'm home now so off to crack a beer and unload the car. Thanks for confirming all the suspicions I had about you.


I suspect you date men? Is that correct as well? NTTIAWWT...


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
I suspect you date men? Is that correct as well? NTTIAWWT...


Seeing how I was camping with my gorgeous wife and 3 year old daughter (celebrating our 15 wedding anniversary and daughter's 3rd birthday), no, you are clearly incorrect on that. You have, however, confirmed to me you're a complete ass who needs to step back and get a grip on life.

Btw, might I ask what your grad degree was in and what school?


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Seeing how I was camping with my gorgeous wife and 3 year old daughter (celebrating our 15 wedding anniversary and daughter's 3rd birthday), no, you are clearly incorrect on that. You have, however, confirmed to me you're a complete ass who needs to step back and get a grip on life. Btw, might I ask what your grad degree was in and what school?


Then whats with the user name on your account? I just figured it was a way to let the men of MP know you are single and ready to mingle...

And no, you may not as what degree and what school I attended.


FLAG
By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Apr 28, 2013

Aric, Why are you trying to debate with this scumbag?


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Then whats with the user name on your account? I just figured it was a way to let the men of MP know you are single and ready to mingle... And no, you may not as what degree and what school I attended.


Really? Making fun of my name? That's beyond lame. To the point that you're the first person I've *ever* run across to do it.

So can I at least safely assume that I can't ask school/degree because either you were making it up or failed out? Because most folks I've met who at least started advanced degrees had at least a modicum of common sense. Well, except for my brother. He somehow managed to get through Yale and UVA without it, and now works for NASA. But you're clearly not in his league... Or even the same game, for that matter.


FLAG
 
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
So can I at least safely assume that I can't ask school/degree because either you were making it up or failed out? Because most folks I've met who at least started advanced degrees had at least a modicum of sense...


Says the guy claiming REI employees using prodeals are screwing over REI.... Thats classic.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Says the guy claiming REI employees using prodeals are screwing over REI.... Thats classic.


I take it your grad degree isn't in business or economics? Or that you haven't even taken a 100 level undergrad class in either?

Btw, if you think you're trolling me, don't bother. I'm intentionally stringing out "cleaning out the car" as long as possible. That said, please continue as it suits both our purposes.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Turd Ferguson! wrote:
Aww, a little embarrassed with that University of Phoenix degree? Be proud, EricSchmidt, not everyone with a coveted grad degree can pull off being a retard on the internet with such conviction. Now say it out loud - "I'm EricSchmidt and I'm a Phoenix!"



Full point!

(Crap... Karateka? Kung Fu Master? Blanking on it! )


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Ok Eric, you Most Worldly of _Men_, can you explain to me how prodealing *isn't* screwing the company you're buying through? Mind you I said *through*, not *from*.

By my math, by buying direct from their vendor at or below wholesale not only deprives the company you work for a sale, but undercuts even their employee pricing. Ever notice REI's employee benefits grant 50% on REI brand items but only 15% on vendor items? It's not in REI's (or the Mom&Pop shop's) interest for you to prodeal, as it's not a good thing for them. It is, however, good for the vendor since it leads familiarity with their product and preferential advice to shoppers. It's still a marginal win for REI/etc since staff knowledgeable in their products is a good thing, but they've still lost out on even a heavily discounted sale.

Ok, your turn.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Uh oh! Looks like you found your first suitor Aric.


Quit it with the gay bashing, Eric. Inappropriate to say the least.


FLAG
By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Apr 28, 2013

I shouldn't have tried to say anything to you Aric. You, Eric, and Turd have fun.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Jeff Kent wrote:
I shouldn't have tried to say anything to you Aric. You, Eric, and Turd have fun.


No worries, Jeff. Frankly I completely missed you post (s?). I'm literally just checking in while vacuuming out the car and seeing how much rope Eric will give me to present to the Admins as grounds for booting him. I ordinarily ignore him (and rarely venture out of Gear, actually), but he's been more.... prolific... lately. To the point even I got annoyed. So with a 3 hour car ride I had nothing better to do. :)

(that said, the whole anti-REI thing bugs the hell out of me... Lotsa the youngins don't realize just how important REI was to the world of climbing back in the day, and only see the current high-priced-clothing incarnation that happens to sell a bit of climbing gear at full retail. That's just stupid, IMO.)


FLAG
By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Apr 28, 2013

Uhh, yeah, the Whittaker brothers. Those guys were awesome!


FLAG
 
By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Apr 28, 2013

As important as the Lowes I dare say.


FLAG
By adamx
Apr 28, 2013

I never went to school for business, but I had a part in starting a few over the last 10 years or so, ground up, including policy, all of which are still around and growing, so I'll help you folks that are sooo upset about REI's return policy being "abused" understand what's actually happening

It's been said that 2% of sales come back as returns. From my experience, that sounds about right. I implemented a similar policy and saw about 1% come back through the door.

Markup: Depends on the item, but I can tell you with outdoor gear, it is often HUGE. How do I know this? I'm friends with reps from many of these big companies. That $400 item you bought at REI (STOKED to get it for ONLY $320 with yer coupon!!)? They probably paid less than $100 for it.

"Why do they have garage sales then????" Good question. You take your $400 dohickey, use it twice, get a cum stain on it and return it so you can pay rent. At this point, REI is out about $100, maybe $200, depending on what exactly you returned. People get stoked on these garage sales and line up early to get in the door. Your $400 piece of shit waterproof ski holder with goretex solar panels and blotchy white blemishes? They mark it 40% off and it sells within minutes. +$260 for REI. But wait a minute, that means.. they.. still.. made a profit?

DING DING DING. This shouldn't be surprising - When you run a business you don't run it to lose money. So it's safe to say that by the time they sell off what they can at 20-50% off, possibly get credit from defective items, and trash the rest, they break even on that loss. Or maybe it goes down to half a percent loss, somewhere in there.

So these returns are impacting REI sOoOoOoOo badly they decide to change their policy to recoup that 0.5% loss (half a percent adds up when you're counting in the billions, after all!).. How do you think their sales would do if they did away with the policy we all love so dearly? I'd bet they lose 20%, or more. But wait a minute, that's a number much bigger than 0.5%. HOW COULD IT BE? Perhappppps it's because they came up with a policy that.. MAKES THEM MONEY? Hey, that kind of makes sense. Same with the garage sales - It DRAWS customers. Get rid of either of these and their business would decline. Period.

also

"Why do you see "Return Every Item" on the forums?" Because it's fucking funny. I'd never heard that hahaha


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Jeff Kent wrote:
As important as the Lowes I dare say.


Dunno if I'd go that far, but perhaps. Perhaps the Lowes just got more fame due to the patents they filed? Never actually thought about it that way, since it's founding goes back decades earlier.

Either way, lots of early REI branded climbing gear floating around from back when the only other choices were Choinard and various Euro brands. Like it or not, in spite of its current incarnation REI has been around much longer than Mom&Pop and has more than paid its dues.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

So Adamx = EricSchmitt? Good to know.


FLAG
By Ryan Williams
Administrator
From London (sort of)
Apr 28, 2013
El Chorro

adamx wrote:
I never went to school for business, but I had a part in starting a few over the last 10 years or so, ground up, including policy, all of which are still around and growing, so I'll help you folks that are sooo upset about REI's return policy being "abused" understand what's actually happening It's been said that 2% of sales come back as returns. From my experience, that sounds about right. I implemented a similar policy and saw about 1% come back through the door. Markup: Depends on the item, but I can tell you with outdoor gear, it is often HUGE. How do I know this? I'm friends with reps from many of these big companies. That $400 item you bought at REI (STOKED to get it for ONLY $320 with yer coupon!!)? They probably paid less than $100 for it. "Why do they have garage sales then????" Good question. You take your $400 dohickey, use it twice, get a cum stain on it and return it so you can pay rent. At this point, REI is out about $100, maybe $200, depending on what exactly you returned. People get stoked on these garage sales and line up early to get in the door. Your $400 piece of shit waterproof ski holder with goretex solar panels and blotchy white blemishes? They mark it 40% off and it sells within minutes. +$260 for REI. But wait a minute, that means.. they.. still.. made a profit? DING DING DING. This shouldn't be surprising - When you run a business you don't run it to lose money. So it's safe to say that by the time they sell off what they can at 20-50% off, possibly get credit from defective items, and trash the rest, they break even on that loss. Or maybe it goes down to half a percent loss, somewhere in there. So these returns are impacting REI sOoOoOoOo badly they decide to change their policy to recoup that 0.5% loss (half a percent adds up when you're counting in the billions, after all!).. How do you think their sales would do if they did away with the policy we all love so dearly? I'd bet they lose 20%, or more. But wait a minute, that's a number much bigger than 0.5%. HOW COULD IT BE? Perhappppps it's because they came up with a policy that.. MAKES THEM MONEY? Hey, that kind of makes sense. Same with the garage sales - It DRAWS customers. Get rid of either of these and their business would decline. Period. also "Why do you see "Return Every Item" on the forums?" Because it's fucking funny. I'd never heard that hahaha


Thank Fucking God that someone finally had the motivation to explain the whole thing. I've been waiting for years for someone who cares enough to write a statement like this. I'm glad I never did, because this one was way funnier. I think I'll save it for the next "REI return policy" thread.

I'm pretty drunk after having just quit my job, which was ironically a management position at an outdoor retailer. I have to ask now, did I just read a page and a half of arguing between two guys named Aric and Eric? Really?

GO MP!


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Ponder me this, Adamx/EricSchmitt- if REI is so evil, why did the Chief Executive of REI get nominated as Secretary of the Interior? My guess is you'll answer with some conspiracy about how the Muslim Brotherhood is behind REI as well as our government.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Ryan Williams wrote:
Thank Fucking God that someone finally had the motivation to explain the whole thing. I've been waiting for years for someone who cares enough to write a statement like this. I'm glad I never did, because this one was way funnier. I think I'll save it for the next "REI return policy" thread. I'm pretty drunk after having just quit my job, which was ironically a management position at an outdoor retailer. I have to ask now, did I just read a page and a half of arguing between two guys named Aric and Eric? Really? GO MP!



I really like how he's no longer with any of those companies, which is what's done with consultants whose only interest is in sign-off, rather than health of the company. The fact that they're still around after he left only shows they showed him the door before he steered them into the ground.

Btw Ryan- whatchoo drinking? Me, Yard's IPA, a couple random Founder's, a 21st Amendment black IPA.... Also I wouldn't call it arguing; I just don't like to vacuum and the longer this takes, the more beer I get away with.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Hell- while I'm at it... Hey Ryan- mind doing an ip check to see if Adamx and EricSchmitt are the same person? Never bothered to look into MP's policy towards troll accounts, as you guys tend to keep things in line.

Also, at what point does Eric stop being amusing and simply gets the boot due to too high an administrative hassle? I'm sure there's a buch of us that would like to see him pushed that far...


FLAG
 
By adamx
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Ponder me this, Adamx/EricSchmitt- if REI is so evil, why did the Chief Executive of REI get nominated as Secretary of the Interior? My guess is you'll answer with some conspiracy about how the Muslim Brotherhood is behind REI as well as our government.


Aric Datesman wrote:
I really like how he's no longer with any of those companies, which is what's done with consultants whose only interest is in sign-off, rather than health of the company. The fact that they're still around after he left only shows they showed him the door before he steered them into the ground.


You know, I sort of skimmed the last few pages and generally leaned towards you being the *more* reasonable/intelligent eric in the bunch, but now you've got me scratching my head. I think that old phrase applies - When it's a tie, YOU LOSE.

It's a cool thing when you can start businesses on both coasts, and mexico, with Costa Rica in the planning stages, get them healthy and well managed, then step out, travel, skydive and climb while the money keeps transferring to your bank account. Hey, sure, doing the silent partner thing I may not make as much as a YALE graduate

but at least I'm not a homophobe,

AND I don't have a three year old.

Sounds like I won ;) See you next year


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 5 of 6.  <<First   <Prev   3  4  5  6   Next>   Last>>