Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New - School of Rock
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Shoplifting at Neptune Mountaineering?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 4 of 6.  <<First   <Prev   2  3  4  5  6   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Anyway, I guess the bigger question is whether you made use of your employee discount while working there? After if the arguement is that REI is the Great Satan for driving out mom&pop, wouldn't their employees, who got their gear even cheaper, be a worse evil?


I think you have been out in the sun too long, you aren't making much sense. Yes I used the prodeal while working there, otherwise I wouldn't have taken a job making minimum wage!

Im having a hard time following your train of thought but you are saying the employees making $8 an hour who are getting the SAME prodeals as everyone else in the industry are the true evil? I know you are being facetious with your question but still it doenst make much sense.... They would get the same prodeals if they worked at the mom and pop store.

Believe what you will with your "25+ years of experience" but I worked there for years and knew what went on behind the scenes. Obviously REI is doing very well as a company and if their return policy was hurting them th ey would change it.


FLAG
By Goat
From Boulder
Apr 28, 2013
Unknown climb in The Needles

Neptune no longer qualifies as a local business. I believe it was sold to a company based in Texas.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
I think you have been out in the sun too long, you aren't making much sense. Yes I used the prodeal while working there, otherwise I wouldn't have taken a job making minimum wage! Im having a hard time following your train of thought but you are saying the employees making $8 an hour who are getting the SAME prodeals as everyone else in the industry are the true evil? I know you are being facetious with your question but still it doenst make much sense.... They would get the same prodeals if they worked at the mom and pop store. Believe what you will with your "25+ years of experience" but I worked there for years and knew what went on behind the scenes. Obviously REI is doing very well as a company and if their return policy was hurting them th ey would change it.


So close, but still swing and a miss, Eric. My point is that if the problem with REI is that it drove out Mom&Pop, then those who pride ales through them are especially at fault, as they *should* have supported M&P regardless of being able to pay less. So yeah, you're part of the problem, and clearly even moreso than those who simply shop there.

You also missed the part about REI being historically a keystone of recreational climbing by way of not only selling gear (often long before M&P came on the scene), but by *making it* as well. Hell, I still wear my REI harness on occasion, as it's more comfortable than my modern harness even though it has no padding whatsoever!


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
So close, but still swing and a miss, Eric. My point is that if the problem with REI is that it drove out Mom&Pop, then those who pride ales through them are especially at fault, as they *should* have supported M&P regardless of being able to pay less. So yeah, you're part of the problem, and clearly even moreso than those who simply shop there. You also missed the part about REI being historically a keystone of recreational climbing by way of not only selling gear (often long before M&P came on the scene), but by *making it* as well. Hell, I still wear my REI harness on occasion, as it's more comfortable than my modern harness even though it has no padding whatsoever!


I do not understand a word you are saying... Trying thinking about what you want to say before you type it and possibly using spell check as well.

Mr. Datesman, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.


FLAG
By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Apr 28, 2013
modern man

Aric Datesman wrote:
Because there's no climbing on the east coast, right? Oh, or is it because climbers don't like camping?


climbers and ponies dont mix well usually. see any old retired people there with their grandkids? come north to CT where the whole state is made of rock, you can camp in my yard and see the chop wars up close that R&I pulled out of their arses.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
So yeah, you're part of the problem, and clearly even moreso than those who simply shop there.


Ill try dumbing it down for you Aric...How is a person who takes a job making minimum wage(after not being able to get hired on at a "mom and pop" store) directly at fault for driving said "mom and pop" store out of business?

This time before you hit submit, proof read what you just wrote and make sure its a coherent sentence and also use spell check. We are all rooting for you!


FLAG
By Alphonse
From Winter Park
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
This time when before you hit submit, proof read what you just wrote and make sure its a coherent sentence and also use spell check. We are all rooting for you!


That's good advice..Never thought I'd say this- but maybe you should listen to yourself every once and a while.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Alphonse wrote:
That's good advice..Never thought I'd say this- but maybe you should listen to yourself every once and a while.


I was editing that as you replied... Just like you keep editing your response to try and make it sound more witty :)


FLAG
 
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Dearest Eric,

If:

1. Neptune's good because local

And:

2. REI bad because it's not locally based

And:

3. REI bad because it undercuts Neptune's prices due to larger discounts from larger purchases

Then:

4. People buying at a discount from REI are an even bigger problem than REI itself.

Clear enough for you?


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Dearest Eric, If: 1. Neptune's good because local And: 2. REI bad because it's not locally based And: 3. REI bad because it undercuts Neptune's prices due to larger discounts from larger purchases Then: 4. People buying at a discount from REI are an even bigger problem than REI itself. Clear enough for you?


Employees receiving prodeals are not that same thing as buying at a discount from REI. Pretty simple really, not sure where your confusion is coming from?

They would receive the same discount if they worked at a mom and pop store, however those mom and pop stores do not hire nearly as many people or as often as REI. So instead of having an unemployed local that local now has a job and is able to suppourt the local community! Crazy I know!


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

Logic isn't your strong suit, is it, Eric?


FLAG
By grampa potate
Apr 28, 2013

c'mon shmithead! Your inflammatory trolling is annoying and makes me want to avoid this website. It was far better without you.


FLAG
By grampa potate
Apr 28, 2013

c'mon shmithead! Your inflammatory trolling is annoying and makes me want to avoid this website. It was far better without you.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

grampa potate wrote:
c'mon shmithead! Your inflammatory trolling is annoying and makes me want to avoid this website. It was far better without you.


So annoying you had to double post!!?


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Logic isn't your strong suit, is it, Eric?


Well explain it to me... How does am employee prodealing through REI, rather than Neptune, cause Neptune to lose money and go out of business? Ill be waiting...


FLAG
By cjon3s
From Sterling, VA
Apr 28, 2013
Hanging at Seneca

EricSchmidt wrote:
Well explain it to me... How does am employee prodealing through REI, rather than Neptune, cause Neptune to lose money and go out of business? Ill be waiting...


I actually agree... the prodeals are there regardless of who you work for.. so I don't see why REI employees are any worse than M&P shop employees...


FLAG
 
By grampa potate
Apr 28, 2013

Just go away. You ruin an otherwise great website.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Well explain it to me... How does am employee prodealing through REI, rather than Neptune, cause Neptune to lose money and go out of business? Ill be waiting...


Because employee discounts are often cost plus (yet still under retail), in which case Neptune's would not only profit on the sale but also up their restocking quantities, possibly enough to get into the next discount bracket and thereby being able to up their margins or drop their retail prices.

Also prodeal is different from an employee discount like Eric would get at REI. Prodeal is direct from the company you're buying from.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Because employee discounts are often cost plus (yet still under retail), in which case Neptune's would not only profit on the sale but also up their restocking quantities, possibly enough to get into the next discount bracket and thereby being able to up their margins or drop their retail prices. Also prodeal is different from an employee discount like Eric would get at REI. Prodeal is direct from the company you're buying from.


Employee discount is like 15%, prodeal is 50%. Why would an employee use their employee discount instead of prodeal? Pretty rare for people to do that...

And really out of the THOUSANDS of customers REI or Neptune sell to you think a few employee purchases will push them over into the next price bracket? Get real.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

So rather than support Gary and his local shop, or even REI for that matter, you opted to save a couple a couple bucks and screw *both* of them out of any profit on the transaction.

Not only part of the problem, but a hypocrite as well.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
So rather than support Gary and his local shop, or even REI for that matter, you opted to save a couple a couple bucks and screw *both* of them out of any profit on the transaction. Not only part of the problem, but a hypocrite as well.


Hahaha right, so now youre saying the prodeal system is screwing REI?.... Nice troll :)


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Hahaha right, so now the prodeal system is screwing REI?.... Nice troll :)



Um, isn't that what buying through them without allowing them a profit really is?

Btw, only one I troll is Sayar, and I don't even do that anymore.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Apr 28, 2013

Aric Datesman wrote:
Um, isn't that what buying through them without allowing them a profit really is?


Nope its not. In exchange for an employee prodealing something REI gets someone who is knowledgeable and has hopefully field tested the gear they are selling. Not to mention someone who is willing to work for $8 an hour...

You have got to be either joking or the dumbest person alive(next to turd ferguson). Either way I cant be bothered to explain such simple things to you anymore.


FLAG
By Aric Datesman
Apr 28, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Nope its not. In exchange for an employee prodealing something REI gets someone who is knowledgeable


So what were you doing there?

Also, pretty clear why you didn't get the job at the local Mom&Pop gear shop...


FLAG
 
By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Apr 28, 2013

I'll say this again like in every other thread that REI comes up in.

RETURNS ACCOUNT FOR LESS THAN 2% OF REI'S SALES.

They aren't worried.


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 4 of 6.  <<First   <Prev   2  3  4  5  6   Next>   Last>>