Sewing your own slings onto hooks, peckers, etc.

By randy88fj62
Mar 23, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
I recently acquired a bunch of aid hooks with no slings on them. I am new to aid climbing and have only practiced on top rope with my friend’s gear so I have no idea the proper way to set these up. We’re talking cam hooks, peckers, sky hook, and one fifi. Since these are considered body weight only I was considering sewing on my own slings. I have a friend with an industrial sewing machine and I have 9/16” supertape sitting around. What thread should be used? Kevlar seems overkill and is susceptible to UV. What lengths should the different pieces be sewn to? I assume you want everything sewn as short as possible so you can maximize the height of your next placement. My on rope book shows the proper way to sew your own gear so I am not worried about stitch pattern. Gearing up for my first wall in Yosemite this summer.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Mar 23, 2012
Water knock for those webbing.

By Larry S
Mar 23, 2012
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.
I sewed my own aiders and a freind's, and they've held up fine for us. Just try and find nylon thread rather than the usual polyester. I do 3-4 passes back and forth with a straight stitch and then a few over it with a zig-zag so it looks like a bartack. Repeat 3-5 times. Nothing in my ladders looks remotely like it's going to blow out (not that i have that many miles on them). I say go for it so long as it's not stuff you're counting on for pro. Just be careful you don't break your sewing machine.

By randy88fj62
Mar 23, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
Thanks Larry.

By Cultivating Mass
Mar 25, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Pretty easy and reasonable to get mountaintools to hook it up for you, and chances are higher that it'll last and not fuck up on you if it's professionally done. Post up pics of your results either way, I found a Fish hook awhile ago and am in need of slingage myself.

By Scott Stoveken
Mar 26, 2012
+1 on tying your own knot... water knot

scott

By Russ Walling
From www.FishProducts.com
Mar 26, 2012
Russ
I found a Fish hook awhile ago and am in need of slingage myself.

If it is a real FISH Hook, don't sew web into it or it will not work as designed. What you need is some 9/16" SuperTape and make an overhand knot to form a small loop. Push the loop through the hole so the knot rides on top of the bent tail.

By randy88fj62
Mar 26, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
I have 9/16 supertape. I'm trying to eliminate bulky knots when possible. I understand your reasoning on the fish hook andyhe leverage you want.

By Brian in SLC
Mar 26, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
randy88fj62 wrote:

I'd say the same situation applies to most cam hooks and "sky hooks" too.

For the fifi hook, you can just buy a short pre-sewn sling and girth hitch it through the hole. I find a girth hitch helps keep it oriented a bit better.

For a pecker, I'd probably have someone swage a cable on it.

So...you might not need any sewing...!

By Cultivating Mass
Mar 26, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Good call, Russ.

By mucci
From sf ca
Apr 9, 2012
I can set you up with cables/swages for anything.

Hooks (depending on the type)
heads

Apr 9, 2012
s
....
....

By Cultivating Mass
Apr 24, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Never get tired of that one. Love it.