Sandia Ranger District to Enact Closure Order Effective June 30, 2014

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jun 26, 2014
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.

The Sandia Mountains are closing Monday, June 30th, 2014. Better get after it out there this weekend if you have any routes on your to-do list for the summer. However, completely unsubstantiated rumors suggest the closure order will be lifted right after the Fourth of July holiday weekend.

By Jeremy Aslaksen
From Albuquerque, NM
Jun 26, 2014

Yet they continue to sell fireworks by the truckloads all over the state.

Get it while you can people before it all burns to the ground.

JA

By Mike Flanagan
From Boone, NC
Jun 26, 2014

Figures I only get 10 weeks in ABQ and they're closed for half! Game on this weekend.

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Jun 27, 2014
My home project.... <br /> <br /><em>Eds. It may be called "The Compactor".</em>

Very unlikely they will lift the ban after the fourth unless we get some precip..

By Bill Lawry
From New Mexico
Jun 28, 2014

Bring on the monsoons!

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jul 7, 2014

Turns out the unsubstantiated rumor of the closure order being lifted right after the Fourth of July holiday weekend was correct. The Sandias opened again this afternoon, July 7, 2014.

By Dominator675
From Albuquerque, New Mexico
Jul 7, 2014
Another of me climbing mother goose wall.

Thanks for the update Jason. I was just wondering if they would be opening back up after the rain we have been getting. Definitely good news and time to get out and take advantage of it while we can.

By Pawel
From NJ
Jul 8, 2014
P3 CCK

If anyone's short a partner for Sandias this weekend, Sat or Sun, give me a call: 9739195434.

By Craig Childre
From Lubbock, Texas
Jul 8, 2014
Potrero Mexico, Sport Climbing Mecca.

Probably keeping the townies who will want to drive up the hill to pop off their fireworks. I'd observe, a pretty solid policy... Consider if one rocket sets off a fire... they would nail the coffin shut on this season, and the next judging from how they handled the fire in Last Chance a few years back.