Sand Rock police presence

By Desiree Stewart
From Birmingham, Alabama
Feb 25, 2014

Just a heads-up, last Sunday I went climbing at Sand Rock and late afternoon on my trip down the mountain there was a police checkpoint set up. They were asking all drivers for their licenses and checking tags. I asked one of them why they were doing this, and was told "Just something to do." I told him perhaps they could find something better to do and drove off. I don't know if I'll continue to climb at Sand Rock anymore- this whole development thing has become quite the debacle, and I was not pleased to be stopped without cause. Anyway, make sure you're up to date on everything if you head over there.

By ecessg
Feb 26, 2014

i went through the road block as well. they have been doing that for years. just part of the game at sandrock.

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Feb 26, 2014
me

I got stopped at one of the little towns near there after climbing at sandrock. initially they told me it was for changing lanes without a signal but later they said they were having problems with drug trafficking and since I had out of state tags and climbing stickers on my window they needed to check me out. I guess because everyone knows that all climbers are drug addicts.

By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Feb 27, 2014
stone depot

george wilkey wrote:

This is true. All climbers love crack and we are always covered in a white substance lol

By courthouse
Feb 27, 2014

My climbing partner is a drug addict.

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Deeper South
Feb 27, 2014
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'

There are other places to climb in AL. It's a vicious cycle up there at Sandrock. Low hanging fruit. Don't get caught up in the system.

By Meeeegan
Feb 28, 2014

I too was stopped on Sunday. Police have been coming to Sandrock for years. About 10 years ago they would come in swarms in the night and walk through campsites. It's nothing new and you shouldn't give them attitude because you don't like it. They could make the experience a lot worse.

Also, I'm sick of seeing parties up to 20 TR-ing all the classics. So go ahead and stop going!

#johnnyarmsforlife

By Siberia
From Birmingham, AL
Feb 28, 2014

By Adam Stackhouse
Feb 28, 2014
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

Meeeegan wrote:

And that sentiment, in a nutshell, is the problem with Americans these days. Just sit back and take it....

By Cori Tite
From Sylmar, CA
Feb 28, 2014
Belaying Frank from the top of Pipe Cleaner at Black Wall in Sespe Gorge.

^ +1

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Feb 28, 2014
Tom-onator

Adam Stackhouse wrote:

video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=10+rules+for+dealing+wit>>>
Know your rights, be respectful and assertive.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Feb 28, 2014

Meeeegan wrote:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.

"...a famous statement and provocative poem attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the cowardice of German intellectuals following the Nazis' rise to power and the subsequent purging of their chosen targets, group after group."

By pjheinz83
From Southeast Pennsylvania
Feb 28, 2014
Groove Tube - Tonsai, Thailand

Adam Stackhouse wrote:

By bernard
From birmingham, al
Feb 28, 2014
near trapps, Shawangunks, NY, 2008

This circumstance is confusing..... The formalizing of the Sand Rock area as a county park was at least in part motivated by the number of climber visits observed by county officials. To have law enforcement discourage visitation by climbers......or rather, by folks who don't like the intrusion of ID/traffic stops....seems counterintuitive....or at least counterproductive, in revenue-desiring terms. I don't think law enforcement deliberately targets climbers.....and maybe the park is having some management issues by having an undesirable element (those not properly licensed/titled/insured) show up. I guess the end result is potentially.....more payin' folk end up looking to go somewhere else.

By Adam Stackhouse
Feb 28, 2014
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

pjheinz83 wrote:
The police have a legal right to set-up checkpoints to check licenses and registrations on state/federal roads. What would be the point of creating a fuss and causing an even bigger legal issue for yourself rather than show that you have all the documents legally required to operate a vehical on government roads? I could agree with you if it was something outrageous and opressive, but this is hardly a new thing and doesn't represent our rights being trampled by any means. I guess your two options would be refusing their requests and getting ticketed and/or arrested, or just complying and accepting that it's a tradeoff for driving on government roads.

Government roads....and to think all this time I thought those roads were bought, paid for and built by folks known as Americans..."back in the days of trains, the government did not build the track for the trains. Railway companies did. They built thousands of miles of track without involuntary taxes taken from people who did not necessarily even use it (or want it). They made their profit from consumers, effectively cutting out the middle man aka government"....and as far as refusing the police's "requests" and face coercion for standing up for one's rights? That's right, comply and accept..Thank you for proving my points ...

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 28, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

george wilkey wrote:

I, and my generation take full responsibility for this mess cuz we were all dope smoking hippies out climbing back in the 60's, and the 'narcs are still hunting us down like the dirbags we still are. There seems to be no statute of limitations for old 60's dope fiends out on the rocks.

By Adam Stackhouse
Mar 1, 2014
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

Woodchuck, thanks for taking responsibility!

By Scott Phil
From NC
Mar 2, 2014

Adam Stackhouse wrote:

Nope.

The railroad companies were given free title to over 175,000,000 acres of land, granted monopolies to keep out the competition, and excused from paying many taxes. All in all a fairly hefty subsidy. Profits were even greater because the RR companies routinely used low paid immigrants or prisoners for their labor supply.

By Dustin Drake
Mar 2, 2014

Sandrock is a giant choss pile anyway. Time to go to Chattanooga.

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Mar 3, 2014
me

hey woodchuck, i thought you were a dope smokin' hippie just from your ice climbing outfits:)

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Deeper South
Mar 4, 2014
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'

Siberia wrote:
I was stopped as well, but waived on through quickly after showing license and tag registration. Hey Ben, besides Palisades, Sandrock, Steele, Jamestown, and Yellow Bluff, where else is good? I haven't ventured to the canyon yet

Well, there are probably 1,000+ routes at the areas listed, but other areas include...

The Canyon.....hundreds of high quality sport lines in a nice setting.
Griffin Falls is nice....good mix of trad and sport.
Hospital Boulders, HP40, and Moss Rock Preserve for bouldering.
Beyond this, there are several crags in the Alabama woods that offer further abundance of good climbing....if you can find and access them.

It always has perplexed me why folks don't spread out more.