Saltwater on ropes and gear?

By MAKB
From Potrero Chico, MEX
Oct 23, 2012
Metrosexual (7a+)
So I learned to climb in the rockies and recently started climbing on the coast and I was wondering if its bad to get your gear wet with saltwater? I accidentally got a locking biner soaked and now the gate sticks open so I've stopped using it. I'm not sure if that is abnormal... Does anyone know much about this? And on ropes, I cant imagine the dried salt is good for soft gear (ropes, slings, harnesses). Also, is it worse on a dry rope vs. non-dry? Thanks!
Mike

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Oct 23, 2012
Did you try rinsing the locker off with warm, fresh water, while exercising the gate? Might just need a rinse...

By Keith Robinson
Oct 23, 2012
Fitzroy09
Yeah I was climbing on a cliff in NZ and got hit by massive spray from storm swell, then forgot to rinse. Two days later cams were slow to budge. I rinsed them in warm water while working the action. After drying I lubricated with Metolius Camlube and they were good as new.

By MAKB
From Potrero Chico, MEX
Oct 23, 2012
Metrosexual (7a+)
Yea, I actually got two biners wet and I rinsed them both and one is better but both of them are still not quite 100%. Maybe I'll try again.

By bearbreeder
Oct 23, 2012
wash in warm soapy water, rinse and use a wax based lube

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Oct 24, 2012
Saltwater will not directly affect nylon. Nylon is pretty careless when it comes to mild salt. However, aluminum does care about salt. If the salt comes into contact with a non-anodized section of a carabiner, it could cause exfoliation corrosion. Lastly, although salt does not directly damage nylon, salt present in the rope can make its way onto other metal objects that you use in climbing. So it is for those reasons that you should wash any climbing related component that comes into direct contact with salt water.

By MAKB
From Potrero Chico, MEX
Oct 25, 2012
Metrosexual (7a+)
Thanks a lot!

By TDoyle
From Milford, MA
Nov 14, 2012
Photo by Andrew Frongillo.
Rather than start a new thread to ask a very similar question, i figured i would ask here...
I set up my gibbon surfline over the pool i lifeguard at...it was a pretty bad set up as it was my first attempt rigging a line there and (to no surprise) everything got completely soaked (webbing, ratchet, slings, biners. so the question is:
would CHLORINE damage webbing/hardware?
as soon as i got home i rinsed all my gear with fresh water and it is now hanging up to dry in my basement next to a De-humidifier. none of it smells like chlorine so i think it is clean. any opinions?
Thanks in advance!
-Tim

By MAKB
From Potrero Chico, MEX
Nov 15, 2012
Metrosexual (7a+)
hey Tim,
I actually did the same thing over a pool once and the webbing got pretty wet in the middle but it held up well after that and I used it on various highlines for over a year. There was no visible damage and I couldnt feel anything wrong with it and I still use it for slacklining. So I cant really give you any advice other than, Ive done the same thing without incident.

By TDoyle
From Milford, MA
Nov 15, 2012
Photo by Andrew Frongillo.
Thanks! it all seems to be fine. everything is dry and all the hardware is still functioning.
-Tim

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Nov 16, 2012
TDoyle wrote:
would CHLORINE damage webbing/hardware?

Yes, it could damage metal objects if you dont wash it off. Chlorine contamination will cause serious pitting corrosion issues if left in contact with the metal object for an extended period of time. I believe that 6% molybdenum grade 2205 stainless steel is considered the minimal requirement for use in load-bearing bolts used in the installation of pools in structures, so yea chlorine is serious shit, you want to wash it off. I do not believe chlorine will damage nylon products, however this website seems to disagree: coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resist...

I have pull tested nylon in chlorinated bleach before though and I did not notice any strength reduction. But whatever, it is just a slackline, I wouldent worry. If you wash it off, it will be fine.