Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Rumney camping advice for 4/19

By Adam Sadowski
From Watertown, MA
Apr 15, 2008

Hi - I was wondering if anybody can shed some light on the current camping conditions at Rumney. I know it's climbable right now (and usually is) but was wondering if we'd be sleeping in the mud / snow...

Thanks!
Adam

By Ladd Raine
From Plymouth, NH
Apr 16, 2008
Waiting for lift-off, Thin Air(5.6) Cathedral Ledge, NH

Rumney, NH is a mix of snow and mud right now with some very sporadic sections of dry earth. Camping is doable, but you may get a little seepage through your tent floor.

By BrianWinslow
From Concord, NH
Apr 16, 2008
Me after climbing the Whitney Gilman Ridge.

Hi Adam. If you don't mind driving a little bit I would recommend staying in a lean-to or shelter in the White Mountain National Forrest. I would go for the Jeffer's Brook Shelter at the base of Mooselauke, which is a little north of Rumney just off of rt 25 (maybe 20 minutes from Rumney?) It's been a little while since I have been there but from car to lean-to it is about a 2 minute walk. If you look up the Town line trail, the glen cliff trail, or the Hurricain trail you can probably get decent directions. Have fun!

By ri.
Apr 30, 2008
profile pic

Hey-

Probably too late but..

Also a short drive (10 min) but perhaps a little more hospitable is D'acres. An organic farm/community center that welcomes climbers. Dry comfy floor space, or tent platforms. They also do meals.

www.dacres.org (go to hostel link)

Good people who got some flack a while back for canvasing the Rumney lot with flyers. A practice I'm pretty sure they've stopped now.

By Adam Sadowski
From Watertown, MA
May 1, 2008

oh cool. Thanks for all the info. We ended up doing a day trip and it was a super nice day.

Thank you again!
Adam

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Jul 14, 2008
modern man

So the D'acres, looks interesting. anyone tried their breakfast?

Plymouth Sands? anyone been?

Does anyone know of places to park and sleep in a van/truck?