Rumbling Bald and Looking Glass (will they be dry Sunday?)

By Adam Paashaus
From North Carolina
Feb 20, 2014
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to the summit for sunset. Its only a 10 minute walk from the main wall. Don't forget your headlamp.

I am thinking about going to Looking Glass or the Bald on Sunday and it looks like it will rain on Friday. Is that enough time for the classic cracks to dry?

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 20, 2014

rats ass etc tend to be dry down low and may seep up high. Gemini is also wet up top normally. I also havent been there in months so dont really know current conditions. Also i believe the gate is still closed from both sides - call the ranger station to confirm

By Adam Paashaus
From North Carolina
Feb 20, 2014

Oh yeah I forgot about the gates. Thanks. How about shredded wheat and Capt Crunch at the Bald. I know Capt is in that shady gully but I've heard that the whole buttress is "detached" and doesn't hold much water? I know the front side (granola,fruit loops etc.) dries pretty fast... I've climbed them after morning rain before.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 20, 2014

Probably dry. That place rarely stays wet

By Russ Keane
Feb 21, 2014
Where's Waldo?

I've climbed stuff at Rumbling the very day of rain. It's crazy dry in some places.

By 5.samadhi
Feb 22, 2014
me

not to be a dick (ok yeah right...)

By Tylerclimb
From Huntersville, North Carolina
Feb 23, 2014

Gate is closed at the glass. Didn't even think to check. We pulled in late last night in our way back from T wall and we were not happy about the gate so ended up driv ING to the bald and here we are.

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Feb 23, 2014
me

I'm curious as to what that link to the weather forecast in Sedona Arizona has to do with this thread.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Feb 23, 2014
El Chorro

5.samadhi wrote:

Isn't Sedona just a rich persons town, full of retirees and mosty second homes? Surrounded by trashy towns that consist of mostly drug dealers and former prison inmates? That's what it seemed like in 2009.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Feb 23, 2014
El Chorro

5.samadhi wrote:

By DennisL
Feb 23, 2014

I've never been to Looking Glass, but I was thinking of going in a few days. What/where is this gate and does its closure mean the area is inaccessible?

By nbrown
From western NC
Feb 23, 2014
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

DennisL wrote:

Its closure means a long walk (miles), but the rock is technically open (except for the falcon-closure area). The gates are on both ends of the road at the beginning. Probably better to go to nearby Cedar Rock. We were there yesterday and the rock was reasonably dry and the road (from the Fish Hatchery end was good). The other end of the road can be pretty muddy in the Winter.

By DennisL
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for the info! I was really psyched to check Looking Glass out. Is camping at the base of the rocks or somewhere along the road in permitted?

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Feb 23, 2014
The "crack"

If you really want to climb LG you could always take the summit trail (3.1m each way). rappel in and climb out. I would make for a nice long day but it would be an experience for sure.

By 5.samadhi
Feb 23, 2014
me

Ryan Williams wrote:

drug dealers, yes, I can testify to seeing some of those around.