rugged point and shoot

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 18, 2014
So i used to have an olympus waterproof/shock proof point and shoot that was pretty small and light i would take climbing with me. Sadly, lent it to the gf and it died on her scuba diving trip. It's been a long time since i've looked at the market.

What do y'all use that takes good quality pictures, is light, rugged, and doesn't require me selling her or my own kidney?

Only thing it must have is a shaky hands mode because well i have shaky hands it seems.

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
T

By claramie
From Boulder, CO
Feb 18, 2014
Should I be trying this hard on a warmup? <br /> <br />photo by Rob Kepley
I have the panasonic dmc-ts2 and it's always been good to me. takes better pictures than one would expect. it's a couple years old so there is probably a newer model also.

cheers

By Henry T.
From Nashville, TN
Feb 18, 2014
Just taking a break from trimming trees
I have a Pentax Optio WG-3 with the GPS function I really like. It has shake reduction, fully waterproof, HDR mode,HD video, even comes with a nice tether so you can clip it to your harness.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 19, 2014
bump for more suggestions:

do any of yall not use a "rugged" point and shoot

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Feb 19, 2014
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background
rock_fencer wrote:
bump for more suggestions: do any of yall not use a "rugged" point and shoot

I can tell you what NOT to get. THe Nikon Coolpix P&S that I have broke after a small drop and went haywire with just a little bit of moisture.

By John Rogers
Feb 19, 2014
Photo editing fun
Well, I have had a lot of luck with this camera: Sealife
I first saw this at the Outdoor Retailer show. As a demonstration of how strong the camera is, they had parked a car on top of it for the day.
I have dropped it from 50 feet onto a rock surface, and taken it scuba diving to 60 feet deep as well. It still works as well as the day I bought it.
For the $200 dollars it cost in 2007, it has lasted longer than any other camera I have owned. As far as durable goes, its hard to beat this camera (literally)

By signewt
Feb 19, 2014
Olympus makes several affordable and rugged point and shoots (shock proof, water proof, etc...)

Myself and a friend have both had great luck with them.

By Chris Freye
From Seattle
Feb 19, 2014
I can't remember what model I have exactly but it's a Canon with 16 megapixels. All my friends see my climbing pictures from Rainier and Hood and are in awe. I believe I bought it at Walmart for roughly 130 and if this camera can withstand my abuse then it probably can withstand yours

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Feb 19, 2014
Summit of Rainier.
I got the fuji xp. It's just ok for pics. A lot of time the lighting isn't that great (dark or overcast) it seems if you don't make a concerted effort to hold the camera still, it's blurred for sure. Can't just pull it out for a quick shot on the go.

I have banged it pretty good and it's still going, in it's defense, but I can't recommend it.

There was one I was playing with at the store a while back, Olympus 630, that seemed like it might be a little better.

That's my 2 cents.

By Luc
From Montreal
Feb 19, 2014
The El
I use the panasonic DMC-TS3, forget zooming with it but it's the fastest turn on to shoot camera I've owned.
Fully waterproof, dustproof, takes decent long exposure.
Got it for sea kayaking, I cary it in small lowepro pouch clipped to my harness.

By Calvino
From Bellingham, WA
Feb 19, 2014
getting ready for the final roof series
I have put my canon s100 through some serious abuse including dropping it off a climb at 50 feet and has survived being sat on, cold, rain, etc. it is widely recognized as THE point and shoot for professional photographers. Pictures are great easy interface and small

By SinRopa
From parts unknown
Feb 19, 2014
rock_fencer wrote:
So i used to have an olympus waterproof/shock proof point and shoot...

I'm a big fan of the Olympus Stylus TG-830. It's got the same water/shock/cold resistance of the previous Olympus models, plus it's 16MP. Amazing photos.