RR mid-Jan-onwards?

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Jan 3, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

Hi. I'll be in the RR area mid-Jan and will stick around for as long as there are partners for trad.

By richard miranda
Jan 27, 2013

down to climb multi pitch classics in RR I have a rack and rope. 9512030954

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Jan 28, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

The atrocious camping situation scared me off. I'm driving to AZ

By RockyMtnTed

Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Jan 29, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011

Ball wrote:
Do I really need to? It's a hole in the middle of nowhere. Looks like it was made with a daisy cutter. You get to bask in the nothingness surrounded by spigots with water so foul you wouldn't boil pasta with it. The only thing of interest is the hellacious wind for which there is nothing to buffer against. At least soldiers in Afganistan get canvas. Name any paid campsite that's worse. Hell, I wouldn't stay there if it was free.

Ball, that is the best description of RR campground I think I have ever heard...only item you might have missed is several partners I have climbed with over the years (never use it myself) have gotten tickets for exceeding a 5mph speed limit of some sort? I go that slow on my motorcycle, I fall over. A big question my wife and I have asked ourselves whenever we go back there to meet someone is who would invest $250K in a road rig and want to camp host that spot??? There is always at least one if not two of those expensive ass campers in the hosting area. Maybe they want to gamble, and in that regard it is better than hanging out in the city at an RV lot I suppose.

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Jan 29, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

Oh, yea. It's also a speed trap for the BLM LEOtards. Beware on federal holidays. They like to illegally search your vehicles, too. They use the drug dog probable cause ruse, then detain you for hours while they turn your rid inside out. 100% illegal, but try fighting it without a lawyer.

But that's just "freedom" in the USA. I was only referring to the atrocious camping.

By RockyMtnTed
Jan 29, 2013

Ball wrote:

Meh are you camping or climbing? I usually am out climbing all day and hanging out at the campground consists of cooking dinner(yeah usually bring my own water) then falling asleep. OMG its to windy for you? Go get a hotel ya sissy.

You're comparing it to Afghanistan? Drama queeeeeeen.

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Jan 31, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

I'll tough it out if there is a point, but paying for that privilege? That's not being a drama queen, that's just not being a victim. I'll hike 10 miles into wilderness and wait out the rain for a week no problem, but paying to live in a wind tunnel that literally tips over RVs just because the BLM hates climbers? I know where I'm not wanted.

As for climbing vs camping, it's all part of the experience. If I can cook a dank meal in peace then that doesn't make me a sissy; that just makes me smarter than the RR climbers.

By AST
Jan 31, 2013

I have a big house very close to the loop road - I can get there by car in about 12 - 15 minutes. There are 2 empty spare bedrooms. I am *considering* becoming a host for visiting climbers who don't want to stay in the world's worst campground, or deal with a hotel.

It wouldn't be free, but I would make it pretty reasonable. Either a certain amount per person per day ($10 - 15?), or possibly in the case of a large group, per room per day ($25 - 40$?).

It is a pretty nice place with good amenities including multiple bathrooms, a near by park, very comfortable living room, fairly large kitchen, small back yard and even some training apparatus.

Normally I am a fairly private person who values his "alone time", but years ago when I was on the road to various destinations, I experienced a lot of help and generosity from locals so now I would like to repay the karmic debt.

Thoughts on the subject are welcome.

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
Jan 31, 2013
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

that just makes me smarter than the RR climbers.

Guess you didn't want to camp alittle further away for free? Plenty of folks climb in RR and camp for free out in the desert(legally). The places to do it aren't that tough to find...in fact the BLM used to tell you where the easiest places to do it were. Probably still do. Guess you were to busy not being a victim to notice? Or were the RR climbers who figured it out just smarter than you?

josh

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Jan 31, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

Adam, sounds intriguing. What about parking space for those who car camp? Maybe I could build a crack machine there.

Had I the money I'd buy a small plot and let people camp on it, kinda like the JTree pit. If I was really well off I'd buy that stupid mine that asshole is trying to make into a gated mega-mansion 'community' in full view of RR, but I guess that's getting off topic.

By coppolillo
Jan 31, 2013

Adam--cool idea and generous of you...that'd be an awesome situation. If you do it, let me know...I get out there occasionally and could spread the word with the Boulder crowd. You'd be busy, I bet. If you really wanted to book the rooms, you could rent to AMGA folks in the spring/fall, during courses and exams...always people looking for a good living space...

Rob C

By ptrgeorge
From Houston, TX
Jan 31, 2013
Skull cave, Rifle, CO <br /> <br />awesome shot nate!

somebody mentioned free blm camping which is what I plan on doing out here, but any advise on parking lots in vegas that you might be able to stealth camp out of a van at? I have a few ideas, but Ive never been out that way before

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 1, 2013

ptrgeorge wrote:

word has it that the local walmarts here dont mind folks stealth camping in their lots. i suppose you could also do it at the casinos, but you might get whacked on that one- i dont know that they want you sleeping on their property for free...

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Feb 1, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

ptrgeorge wrote:

Don't attempt the Albertson's parking lot of any of the small strip malls. I had a little luck in the Home Depot lot near the back but always left early. Wal-Mart never gives a fuck and they have security so it's pretty safe.

By Tommy Layback
From Sheridan, WY
Mar 8, 2013
Tom on Cloud Peak, Bighorn Mtns, WY.  Blacktooth and Mount Woolsey in the background.

Mr. Ball - Still wandering the desert looking for trad partners? I have next week off (March 11-17) and would consider coming down from Wyoming to Utah. I prefer multi-pitch trad, have a decent compliment of gear, and I, too, appreciate aesthetically pleasing camping.

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Mar 9, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

Currently in snowy Sedona, but considering going up to the creek or Moab. It's pretty wet everywhere

By Tommy Layback
From Sheridan, WY
Mar 9, 2013

Moab's forecast looks clear and dry for the coming week. Let me know if you want to rendezvous - have doubles & triples

By Ball
From Oakridge, OR
Mar 9, 2013
Sam Perkins; Ground-up FA; named because it's big and smooth

Yea, it's looking nice there.

I have trips to old school 4 and more in some sizes.

By Tommy Layback