Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
road trip within 12 hours of Denver
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By NickinCO
From colorado
Apr 14, 2014
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Looks like our big trip is falling through, have enough time for 7 days (including travel) in mid May. Looking for easy trad up to 5.10-

City of Rocks?

Is there enough stuff at Devils Tower in that range to stay busy for 4 or 5 days?

Where else?

FLAG
By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Apr 14, 2014
Definitely. Devils Tower seems to peak at mid 10s, with a lot of 5.9 and 5.10-, and since most people are on Durance, you won't be dealing with crowds.

You could also go to Vedauwoo on the way to or from, although it may be a touch muddy still. I'd also look at Escalante, or Colorado National Monument. Finally, Fremont Canyon, Sweetwater Rocks, or Unaweep Canyon.

FLAG
By Erik Hopkins
Apr 14, 2014
Red Rock NV is a twelve hour drive for denver and has great climbs of all grades

FLAG
By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 14, 2014
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
City of Rocks would be pretty weather dependent.
If they get a week like we are getting now it would be no fun. If they get a week like we had last week it would be great. Think of the place as a mountain J-tree. That's what it reminds me of.
There is also the obvious Desert trip (Zion if you want to go bigger) or really, Vegas baby, Vegas... The grade III's and shorter grade IV's in RR are within that range and should be in if they have a good weather week. The longer IV's and few grade V's will likely be wet in sections. (IE: Resolution Arete, Aeolian Wall)

I've also had some really great trips in winter/spring around Tucson hitting Cochise and Mt Lemon on a trip. Oak Creek or Sedona could be something to do on the way down there. Sedona could be a trip of its own, as well.

FLAG
By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Apr 14, 2014
...
If you haven't been to City of Rocks I suggest you head there for one hell of a FUN time! The place is a kick!

FLAG
By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 14, 2014
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
Locker wrote:
If you haven't been to City of Rocks I suggest you head there for one hell of a FUN time! The place is a kick!

See what the guy from Jtree says?

FLAG
By Chris treggE
Administrator
From Madison, WI
Apr 14, 2014
This problem haunted my dreams for 6 years after f...
I'd center a trip around the Black Hills, and make the Tower part of that.

FLAG
By NickinCO
From colorado
Apr 14, 2014
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Tony B wrote:
City of Rocks would be pretty weather dependent. If they get a week like we are getting now it would be no fun. If they get a week like we had last week it would be great. Think of the place as a mountain J-tree. That's what it reminds me of. There is also the obvious Desert trip (Zion if you want to go bigger) or really, Vegas baby, Vegas... The grade III's and shorter grade IV's in RR are within that range and should be in if they have a good weather week. The longer IV's and few grade V's will likely be wet in sections. (IE: Resolution Arete, Aeolian Wall) I've also had some really great trips in winter/spring around Tucson hitting Cochise and Mt Lemon on a trip. Oak Creek or Sedona could be something to do on the way down there. Sedona could be a trip of its own, as well.


RR is probably one of my favorite places to climb, I've only been there in April/Oct/Nov though. The days I'm looking to go would be like May 17-23, average temp says 89?… We're not much for gambling, etc. and that campground sucks to hang out in. I guess we can decide a few days before and look at the weather. Didn't think about AZ… have a buddy down there also.

FLAG
 
By NickinCO
From colorado
Apr 14, 2014
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Chris treggE wrote:
I'd center a trip around the Black Hills, and make the Tower part of that.


I had no idea the black hills was only 6 hours away… might save that for a 4 day trip that I have a lot of.

FLAG
By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 14, 2014
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
NickinCO wrote:
RR is probably one of my favorite places to climb, I've only been there in April/Oct/Nov though. The days I'm looking to go would be like May 17-23, average temp says 89?… We're not much for gambling, etc. and that campground sucks to hang out in. I guess we can decide a few days before and look at the weather. Didn't think about AZ… have a buddy down there also.

Black Velvet Canyon and some of the others (IE Icebox) are climbable through June.
In fact, I spent most of June of 1995 there! Grade II-Grade IV heaven.
I've climbed there in July besides, but that is getting pretty hot, admittedly.
But do consider that RR is typically 10deg cooler than the Vegas forecast.

Also, you can get an OK hotel for $40 a night if you want to splurge - The 'Station' Hotels were the best for the $$ when I used to go regularly, and are on the right side of town. I think it was Palace Station I used to stay in most of the time. It was $25/night back then (early 2000's) so long as it wasn't a holiday. So yeah, that's only $30/night more than a campground.

Frankly, I don't gamble either. One GF summed it up when er grandpa gave her a buck she was supposed to gamble for him. She put it in a slot and pulled the handle. Shit went around (digital, of course) and then different symbols came up. She looked at me and asked: "Was that fun?" ("no") "Good, let's get out of here." We saw a few Cirque shows, and that was worth the $$$.

Enjoy, no matter where you go!

PS - May? Unaweep is an option.

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.