Riverside Quarry Guidebook in any local stores?

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Jun 26, 2012

I am thinking of checking out Riverside Quarry this Saturday! Does anyone know if any local stores carry the guide book?

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Jun 26, 2012
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.

ThreshHold climbing gym in Riverside or The Gear Co-op in Costa Mesa are your best bets. The new book is great. Enjoy.

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Jun 26, 2012

Thanks Nathan! Do you know if any REI's carry it?

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Jun 26, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

I would go to Threshhold since its only like 5-10 mins away from Riverside quarry. I believe 4 exits on the 60 freeway?

www.climbth.com/

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Jun 26, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

I also suggest getting there early 7-730 to beat the crowds on the weekends and the summer heat. It gets pretty unpleasant with the nats around 12 and the heat, but cools down pretty good around 4-5pm. The newest wall there (The Fun Factory) does get afternoon shade, not to sure on exact time though. There are some spots in the Roof area where you can get shade behind huge boulders and have benches to hang around at.

By Nathan Scherneck
From Portland, OR
Jun 26, 2012
He took the whipper while trying to place his #1 Stopper.  So sad.

I haven't seen it stocked at REI yet.

By Chris D
From the couch
Jun 27, 2012
Sign near the Third Flatiron

If you don't get a copy of the guidebook for whatever reason, don't hesitate to head out there early to beat the heat. Odds are good that you will find someone with the guidebook to share or info to get you on something at your grade.

The one time I was there, everyone was very friendly. Just don't leave anything valuable in your vehicle. May even want to leave the doors/windows open. Plenty of vehicles broken into out there (despite being plainly visible to the neighborhood behind the road), but I don't think many get stolen, so just leave it unlocked and clean, and no worries.

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Jun 27, 2012

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the information. I think I will be heading out early to get on crag. Earlier than Threshold opens, but I feel pretty confident from the beta on MP that I can at least get some good routes dialled in without a guide book. I will just make sure to bring gear for more contigencies when I climb!

By Xan Calonne
From Studio City, Ca
Jun 27, 2012

adventure 16 in tarzana and west la have the quarry guide.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Jun 27, 2012

REI in Santa Monica has some copies.

By The Freehlings
Jun 29, 2012
Profile pic

ThreshHold doesn't have the latest edition. But...between MP and asking other climbers to have a look at their guide, you won't have any worries.

By Adam Stackhouse
Jun 30, 2012
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

The Freehlings wrote:

I hesitantly assure you Mountain Project approves this message.

By matt carpenter
From Las Vegas
Jun 30, 2012
focusing on the feet... mid-crux on El Camino Real.

I moved to Vegas and have a copy that i no longer need.

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks everyone! I found one at hanger 18 in El Segundo. Had a great time climbing there yesterday! The guidebook is extremely well done and the area is so convenient that I am willing to overlook a lack of a wilderness setting.

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Jun 30, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

It's called urban wilderness! haha

btw I met you there on Friday. I was the other guy in the party of three climbing with Chris. Met at slab city by mantel marathon...

By jt512
Jun 30, 2012
Jay Tanzman redpointing Lethal Weapon. <br />Photo by Hillary Davis.

Ben Gordon wrote:

I saw one copy at the REI in Arcadia about a week ago.

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Jul 4, 2012

Nomad's has them here in Josh...

By socalbolter
From Silverado, CA
Jul 17, 2012

If anyone is ever in need, I'd be happy to sell them a copy directly.

Hit me up at louieanderson@live.com...

By Jetsetter
From Chino hills,ca
Aug 3, 2012

I've seen anywhere from $20-$40. Anyone have used/multiple books lying around? How about a quick download (For a cost of course). I'm just getting into the sport and heard about this place from Thresh hold.

By socalbolter
From Silverado, CA
Aug 3, 2012

Jetsetter: The original edition was $20, this newer (and much larger) edition is $35.

Sorry, no immediate plans for an electronic version...

By Chris Norwood
From San Diego, CA
Aug 3, 2012
High on the Beckey Route on the Bastille Buttress of Lone Pine Peak

Just wanted to say that the new guidebook is one of the most well-done, cleanest guidebooks I've seen. So sick!

By Jetsetter
From Chino hills,ca
Aug 3, 2012

I'd love to climb out at the quarry this weekend but my climbing partners a bit of a flake. Again still new to the sport. Is this guide a "must have" for a first timer or are there plenty of people out there willing to help out on the weekends? Like 7am ish?

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Aug 3, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

Jetsetter wrote:

You're other post suggested you didn't know where to park or hike in? I'm guessing you never been to the area so I would recommend buying the book from Louie and read a little about the area. It's also one of the best guide books out there. Very well done.

Most groups out there are usually keen to sticking with the partners they're climb with, but there are a few that are willing to partner with other people. But from my experience groups usually like to partner with people that have experience and already know the "ropes." I'm always done for new partners or showing people the area but that's only when I plan to do it. It's summer time and climbing at the quarry is very limited in regards to time due to the heat. I would suppose most people getting out there on weekends are limited on their climbing time and would rather get more climbing in versus showing someone new they don't know what to do (sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear).

Hopefully that helps and if anything you still get someone/others to climb with.