Resoling in New England (or Eastcoast)?

By jim.dangle
Jul 19, 2012
Can anyone recommend a good resoler in New England or nearby?

Not a huge deal to send them to CA or CO but thought I would try something local that was maybe quicker.

I think I need a rand repair too.

Also, I really have not kept it up with the "best sticky rubber" debate? Any recommendations? I like climbing granite cracks and slabs for the most part.

Thanks!

Jim

By Nick Russell
From Bristol, UK
Jul 19, 2012
Starting out on the crux traverse <br /> <br />Photo by Alastair Begley - <a href='http://www.masterplan-photography.co.uk' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >masterplan-photography.co.uk</a>
I sent my Mythos to the Cobbler and Cordwainer, NY -
cobcord.com/
- This was partly because they were listed on the La Sportiva website as an "authorised resoler", but they did a good job of them. Sorry, but I'm not really up to speed on the "best rubber" either

Nick

By Nathan Stokes
Jul 19, 2012
Plattsburgh Shoe hospital is another option.

plattsburghshoehospital.com/

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Jul 19, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
I've heard Vibram is better on sharper rock such as limestone or Rumney schist, and Five Ten rubber is better on granite. Can't say for sure, quite a bit is probably superstition/ personal preference.

Although, I've had really good luck doing harder granite slabs in MA with Five Ten's.

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Jul 19, 2012
The location, east versus west, makes no difference in turn-around time. A western resoler may very well turn them around faster than someone local. Find one that has a good reputation and a guaranteed turn-around instead of where they are located. Someone mentioned Cobbler and Cordwainer in NY. Compare prices I think you will find them to be comparatively expensive.

By Alex Mitchell
From Cincinnati, OH
Jul 19, 2012
Me Climbing
I will second what Brian said. I have sent two orders to Rock and Resole in the last month and both have been less than two weeks between me shipping them and getting them back. Both had a great job done on them also.

By S. Neoh
Jul 19, 2012
My friends tell me Cobbler and Cordwainer is rather expensive now. I used to have him do all my resoles when he was located in MA and, back then, he was the quickest with me doing the drop-off and pick-up.

I am also presently looking around for a good resoler.

I can recommend resoling with Vibram XS Grip, good rubber with longevity.

By Jeremy A
From NH
Jul 20, 2012
Fido Low
Well this is always a pain to deal with. But I have went through a few places mentioned and have had some flaws (Peeling rubber etc.). Anyhow after multiple years I have personally not had a problem with The Friction Fix out of West Virginia. $35 depending on the repair.

Ship via the post office. It is much cheaper than other options.

thefrictionfix.com

Enjoy.

By tks
From Boston, MA
Jul 20, 2012
If you're willing to wait an extra week, I can't say enough about Barry's Resoles in California.

He's resoled two pairs for me, and they are hands down the best resole jobs I've ever seen.

By freezeus
From Pittsfield, VT
Jul 20, 2012
Nathan Stokes wrote:
Plattsburgh Shoe hospital is another option. plattsburghshoehospital.com/

+1 for Plattsburgh

By Peter Gill
Jul 20, 2012
Send them to Mark @ Plattsburg Shoe Hospital. He is an experienced climber and cobbler. Does great work.

www.plattsburghshoehospital.com/

By Derek Doucet
Jul 20, 2012
Nathan Stokes wrote:
Plattsburgh Shoe hospital is another option. plattsburghshoehospital.com/

Bump for the Shoe Hospital. Mark is a professional cobbler and long time climber. He does a great job.

By jim.dangle
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the majority goes to Plattsburgh and Stealth rubber.

Mountain Project speaks!

I'll give them both a shot.

Jim

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jul 20, 2012
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.
I've been sending my shoes to Mark at the Plattsburgh Shoe Hospital for the past 10 years. Turn around time is good, the price I right, and the workmanship is great. Highly recommended.

By losbill
Jul 24, 2012
Add my vote for Mark and Plattsburgh Shoe Hospital

By Mike Veazey
From Exeter, NH
Jul 31, 2012
New England ReSoul based out of Southern New Hampshire!

Info@NewEnglandReSoul.Com

By SYBold
Sep 18, 2012
Mike Veazey wrote:
New England ReSoul based out of Southern New Hampshire! Info@NewEnglandReSoul.Com

Does anyone have any experience with resoling their shoes at New England ReSoul? What did you think of their work?

By Jeremy Steck
From Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 19, 2012
Me, at Red Rock Canyon
Ramuta's Resoles in Montana does an outstanding job. I've been sending shoes there for years even when I lived on the east coast. He's fast on the turn around, and does and exceptional job if your rands are shot. Plus, his prices for rand repair are the best that I've found. He even fixes little holes here and there in the leather free of charge!

By Matt.Zia
From Leadville, CO
Sep 19, 2012
Got my La Sportiva Barracudas resoled at New England Resoul earlier this summer and Ri did a good job with them. Plus he's a nice guy. It was $50 for the work, but he didn't have exact change at his shop so he only charged me $40. If you're in the area, go for it.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Sep 19, 2012
El Chorro
I used to send mine to teh Friction Fix in WV. They do excellent work but aren't very fast in my experience. It has been faster for me to send mine out to Boulder or CA recently, and both shops did good work as well.

By Will Roth
From Lake Placid, NY
Sep 19, 2012
Ishinca Base Camp, Peru
Plattsburgh Shoe Hospital! Mark does a great job! Dropping a pair off today.

By SarahKS
Sep 22, 2012
New England Resoul was really easy to work with and now they have drop off/pick up points at Metrorock in Everett and Newburyport MA. It is a pretty new company, but my friends and I agree that the resoling is of good quality, is competitively priced, and you don't have to send your shoes across the country!

By Rockbanned
From Plattsburgh, Ny
Oct 27, 2012
Slab...
freezeus wrote:
+1 for Plattsburgh

Yep... Mark does an awesome job!