Repurpose a dropped ATC

By Erik Hatlestad
Mar 29, 2012
Climbing in Clear Creek Canyon and my ATC and 'biner took a 250 foot fall. Metal is chipped and cannot be used with rope again. I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas to repurpose an ATC? Decorations, utility, etc.

Thanks!

By bwalt822
Mar 29, 2012
How big is the chip and where is it located? It would take a pretty big ding to make me want to retire an ATC instead of filing it smooth.

By Ethan Henderson
From Silverdale, WA
aliens
Sent your ATC to me.
I will properly retire it.

By Chris Wenker
From Santa Fe
Bandera
Grind off the entire damaged side, and make yourself an ATC-Sport.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mar 29, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Where in the world did you find a 250 foot cliff in Clear Creek? Biners that had obviously fallen off El Cap in Yosemite were pull tested and failed at the same ratings listed for new biners. Polish up that shit and climb on it.

Back in the day I retired a figure 8 because I dropped it 60 feet in a cave. Wahhh. It was purple, too. Wish I still had it.

By Erik Hatlestad
Mar 29, 2012
Ethan, i would like to keep it and find something crafty for myself

Bwalt, its about an 1/8th of an inch deep and 1/8th of an inch wide. I would have to file a TON of metal off.

Stich, it fell from the top of the left-most route on cat slab an bounce to almost the river.

Chris, not a bad idea except its damage on both sides. Good idea though

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
You could make it a Christmas Tree ornament. If Boulderites weren't such a non-believing crowd this would have caught on already though. Sort of like the $11 carabiners and not so old rope that you see being used for crag dogs.

By Mystery of the Desert
cock ring

By Nathan Stokes
Ryan Williams wrote:

Works better than shelling out money for fake climbing gear ornaments to put on the tree (they exist, I bought some). I put a shiny new Wild Country Zero 00 on my tree last year (cause what else is it good for to be honest?).

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mar 29, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Erik Hatlestad wrote:

Seriously, it's still fine to use. I wouldn't worry about replacing it at all.

By MegaGaper2000
From Indianola, Wa
Mar 29, 2012
the dragon's tail, or dragon's tooth, or whatever. And me.
Ethan, next time we get out together you can borrow my piece.

By Scott Sinner
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
Descending the B-S Col
Disguise it and sell it on here.

By Kilroywashere!
From Harrisonburg, Virginia
Kilroy
Ryan Williams wrote:

climbing gear=best christmas tree ornaments ever!

happy christmas!
happy christmas!

By tradryan
Mar 30, 2012
Skis!
Mystery of the Desert wrote:
cock ring

Ouch. Ten mil?

Polish it and quit bein such a pussy

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Mar 30, 2012
El Chorro
Oh so when we have a thread about God it's OK to bash away but when Christmas rolls around everyone has a tree?

By randy88fj62
Mar 30, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

By APBT1976
Mar 30, 2012
Black Dike 12/25/11
randy88fj62 wrote:
I was on Super Slide in Yosemite Valley last summer when a German group next to us on Serenity Crack started cursing. Seems the fellow dropped his reverso. On our way out we found it on the ground badly pitted and scraped from the 4 pitch fall to the ground. I would retire any piece of my gear that fell a considerable distance that was made of Aluminum. Especially a rappel device which is used so often, not only for your descents, but also to belay other people. The odds are that it won't have any stress fractures or microcracks. The only way to really test it would be to get it penetrant inspected at an aerospace company that has the facilities. Destroy it so it cant be used again for climbing. Have fun with it and cut in in half or something silly like that.

I agree $30 possibly although highly unlikely my life. I got $30 bucks!

By randy88fj62
Mar 30, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
Actually the "old style" Reverso's are on sale since the new version came out. Same with the ATC Guide, the old version is on sale for $20.