Red River Gorge Questions

By Travis Kern
From Minneapolis, Minnesota
Greetings fellow climbers,

We are possibly looking to head to the Red River Gorge (or Horseshoe Canyon) in early June to do some initial sport climbing. We are beginner climbers, and I'm hoping to get a few questions answered.

MP.com notes that Red River Gorge has 300+ routes graded in the 5.9 and below range. They don't list how many of those routes are trad vs sport. We would be looking to only climb single pitch sport routes, preferably in that grade range. Can anyone give an estimate on how many of these 300+ routes would be sport routes? I realize the best way to know for sure would be to look through a guide, but I'm a lazy man and was hoping to bypass all that work by asking a group of intelligent experienced climbers.

Also, has anyone done any back country backpacking in the Daniel Boone National Forest? We'd love to take off into the forest for a day or three. This is why I'd prefer the Gorge over Horseshoe canyon, but if the canyon has more appropriate variety of lower grade sport routes, then that would serve our main goal, which is to gain some initial experience sport climbing outside.

Thanks a million!

By Jon H
From Boulder
At the matching crux
RRG has dozens and dozens and dozens of 1 pitch sport routes 5.9 and lower. I would make a totally uneducated guess (I've got no idea about exact numbers) that at least 200 routes that fit your description: single-pitch sport.

By Andy Million
From Murfreesboro TN
RRG, Send me on my way 5.9-
redriverclimbing.com has a fantastic search tool. Here is the search you are looking for. Click

By Chad Volk
From Boulder, CO
RRG Sport Climbs 5.9 and easier listed on MP.com

By Mike Knight
Mar 26, 2014
yes they have back country camping. Check out the princes arch area by chimney top rock they have tons of sites. Yes they have tons of bolted sport routes to climb. Check Muir valley they have some good moderates for beginners.

By Nathan Flaim
Mar 26, 2014
Check out the app by wolverine apps for the Red River Gorge. It is basically an electronic version of the guidebook. It is up to date as of a few years ago. It lists 97 sport lines 5.9+ or less, and will let you filter by area or wall.

By WDW4
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY
BOOM

By Travis Kern
From Minneapolis, Minnesota
Mar 26, 2014
Excellent! You have all humbled me with your generosity.

By Travis Kern
From Minneapolis, Minnesota
WDW4 wrote:
BOOM Looks like about 100 by that count. If you are interested in getting into some trad, let me know. I know the trails pretty well if you are interested in getting into the woods for a few days.

Yes, if this is what we decide, we would be stupid to not jump at the chance to learn something. Thanks!

Regards

By andyelliott
amarillo sunset
Just checked my guidebook. there are 89 sport routes graded 5.9+ and lower in the southern region of the red. there's also a northern region with its own guide book that i dont have.

By 5.samadhi
me
generally at that grade I think you are better off going to the New. Much more aesthetic and the new boasts a nice climber/paddling town Fayetteville literally a couple miles from some main crags at the New. Plus the New is in west virginia and WVians are so much more hip than kentuckians. Like miles ahead. They got like coffee shops and thai places. No thai food in Kentucky. At all. Nowhere.

They are still listed like 47th in most hip states.

At least theyre not 49th (kentucky).

By Jon H
From Boulder
At the matching crux
5.samadhi wrote:
generally at that grade I think you are better off going to the New.

By csproul
From Davis, CA
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background
Jon H wrote:
There are VERY few sport routes 5.9 and under at the New. Aside from Sandstonia, there really isn't much in the way of beginner sport climbing at all at NRG. As far as sport climbing goes, NRG really isn't a "beginner's" area. TOOOOONS of beginner trad, but not bolted. Everything else you say is correct though. There isn't shit going on in, or anywhere near, Slade, KY.

Lot's more 5.9 and below sport climbs at RRG. My guidebook (2010 Williams book) lists about 70 sport climbs 5.9 and under. But, if you include sport routes in the 10a/b range (most would still consider this "beginner" sport) there is at least double that number, plenty to keep a beginner sport climber busy for a while. But if you want 5.9 and under volume, go to RRG.

By Orlena Tilton
From Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Mar 26, 2014
Go to Horseshoe Canyon!! If you don't have enough time to make it both locations...

By Orlena Tilton
From Murfreesboro, Tennessee

By Chris Massey
Mar 26, 2014
Muir at the Red a good place to start for beginners. Heck, the routes even have little engraved discs with the names and grades. Tightly bolted and soft grades (at least by NC standards). Bruise Brothers a good place to start. Even sets of rings at eye level to practice your cleaning and communication technique before you leave the ground. You cant get too much more beginner friendly than Muir. Crowds can be an issue. Drop a $20 in the donation box while you are there. Plenty of other walls there with routes in your range once you exhaust Bruise Brothers. I taught my son to sport lead there. Met some of your fellow MN climbers last time I was there. I bet you will even bag a couple of 5.10's while you are there.

By Mike Knight
Mar 27, 2014
Chris Massey wrote:

Yeah go to Johnny's wall in muir and try bethel and 59" drill b*tch. 5.10A both of them you should be able to get them they where my first two tens.

By Thomas Gilmore

Apr 24, 2014
Street Hassle
-Thanks

By mozeman
Apr 24, 2014
5.samadhi wrote:
thats what I was thinking about the plethora of trad routes around 5.9. I wasn't even aware people really bolted under 5.9 at sport crags. Usually there is like one 5.9 warmup and the rest are 5.10 and up. If you need a 5.7 to climb cuz u can't climb a 5.9 then you're much better off getting a trad rack imo

beginner climbers and girlfriends need routes to climb too man lol

most beginners dont learn trad before sport also, especially those wanting to get on 5.7 and 5.8 sport routes

I would wager a guess that nearly every sport climber who climbs in the red consistently has been on at least one sport route that is easier than 5.9 in their lifetime, beginners gotta learn somewhere somehow. Not to mention telling a beginner to go to the new instead of going to the red is pretty funny. But yes, go to the new, the red has enough inexperienced folks running around as it is

By mozeman
Apr 24, 2014
kennyp wrote:
How's the weather in early June? Is it getting to hot to climb, or can it be tolerable for heat resilient folks if you seek out the shade? How bout bugs are the getting going by then as well? -Thanks

People will tell you that you cant climb in the red in the summer...not true, it's just significantly more of a pain in the azz. Grades will feel harder and the humidity is pretty bad, but you can do it and you can have a blast. Some of my most fond memories of climbing in the red have occurred in june through august

By Jon Frisby
From New York, NY
Apr 24, 2014
kennyp wrote:

look for shade, watch out for poison ivy, don't climb a ton between 2 and 4 pm or so. To echo mozeman, it's still super fun