Rainy day crags and/or activities at NRG

By Miguel S
Aug 28, 2014
Hello,

Any input would be appreciated!

By Brian Payst
Aug 28, 2014
grayson highlands
Stop in at Waterstone outdoors and pick up a copy of the New River guidebook by Mikey Williams. He has a whole section on rainy day crags. Plus, it's an excellent guidebook. That way you get the info you're looking for and support the local climbing shop at the same time.

By Jon H
From Boulder
Aug 28, 2014
At the matching crux
MP only helps those who help themselves.

Do a search. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

By mission
Aug 28, 2014
Miguel S wrote:
Hello, I'm sure there's a thread about this or websites etc. but I am lazy. That said, I am heading to NRG for the long weekend. There's a group of us going to camp, raft, climb, bike, hike, drink, etc. It is supposed to rain on Sunday and Monday, so I am looking for activities or crags that are decent for this, other than drinking all day. We are scheduled to raft the lower new on Monday morning, so Monday is covered, but want to know what to do or where to go on Sunday. As a whole the group 'casually' climbs, so we will be looking for climbs in the 5.donk-.10a/b range, and our arms quickly get destroyed so we won't be spending all day climbing. Any input would be appreciated!

The New doesn't have very many concentrations of easy sport. Basically, your only options are Sandstonia in Bubba City, Orange Oswald at Summersville, or Whipporwill (this is deep-water soloing in the summer). The dry locations will be very crowded.

By Cocoapuffs 1000
Aug 28, 2014
There aren't that many 5.10 and under sport routes at the New to start with, and virtually none of them stay dry. Even if you climb 5.12+ there are only a handful of crags that will stay dry in the rain.

By Chris Whisenhunt
From Fayetteville, WV
Aug 29, 2014
Flailing at the top of Welcome to Crowders
I'm not going to post what I want to post for this. Instead I will politely point you the NRG page on MP and ask you to search for Rainy Day Activities. If anyone has any additions to it that aren't common sense then post on here or shoot me a message as I know Jake will do. :P

By Chris Whisenhunt
From Fayetteville, WV
Aug 29, 2014
Flailing at the top of Welcome to Crowders
And for god sakes don't ask me for grades at those crags, look through them your self. K, thanks, bye.

By Steve Jones
Aug 29, 2014
on belay
mission wrote:

Then there are the secret areas. Rumor has it that if you hold Mikey's guidebook up to a black light the secret areas show up. Another rumor hints you can also see them in a full moon under the influence of 3 Bridge Brew ales.

In a light rain, several of the moderate sport routes at the lake area known as The Lost World (or Tongue Town) stay dry in a light rain. You can walk across the top "trail" along the cliff line from Whipporwill to get there, then rap in. The routes are in Mikey's book.

By Blake Cash
Aug 29, 2014
Buy the guidebook. Mike's put in a ton of effort to make it as user friendly and informational as possible. Every single question you asked is in the guide. So go look there.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Aug 29, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
It never rains at the Red. Lots of spurt clammin' too. Tons. And it's all SICK. And I don't mind pointing out the obvious correlation between your name and the local pizza joint at the Red. I'm really teetering on Guideline #1 here but I like life on the edge. LOL @ Chris. All the unemployment out there and everyone's a comedian.