Questions about climbing in and around Ketchum, Idaho

By Jake Kay
From Jackson WY
Mar 23, 2013
nice

There is a chance I might be getting a job offer based out of Ketchum. I am curious as to climbing community, Gyms, and areas nearby as well as road trip destiantions. I am sure the sawtooths have plenty to offer, but I was especially curious about a place for after work etc. I am living in Jackson Wy now, so I feel a little spoiled, but itd be a sweet job and it sounds like the sun valley area is pretty sweet. Any opinions/guidance/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By Andrew Mayer
Mar 23, 2013
top of mt. lady washington - rmnp

trail creek is the closest crag to town that i know of

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Mar 23, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011

The interesting stuff I have climbed near Ketchum is based around Elephant Perch 1 hour north...a lot of multi pitch granite crack climbing....

By Ethan Mansfield
Apr 2, 2013
profile picture

Mountain Project doesn't really cover much in the Sawtooths... Check out www.summitpost.org/sawtooth-range/171128

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Apr 3, 2013
Why I do it...

They are a mighty secretive bunch those Sun Valley folk. I'm lead to think they have climbed a ton of high quality stuff in the area, yet zip the lip about it.
If you can win the hearts of the locals, you'll have it made. Not sure there is a climbing gym in Ketchum. Hmmm that would be an interesting market too. Maybe worth looking into.
Kevin

By builttospill
Apr 3, 2013

There used to be a wall at the YMCA in town, but I'm not sure what the current situation is. Their number is (208) 727-9622.

That's about all I know.

By Maurice Chaunders
Apr 3, 2013
Colombian Crack

The Y in Ketchum has a decent sized, relatively new gym. Make friends with some locals and they'll show you the sick places to boulder after work (sick water polished granite highballs and bouldering), not to mention big stuff in the Sawtooths. The Y in Hailey has(had?) a racquetball court turned into a bouldering gym. It's decent for its size and can be good for rainy days or after work.

What's the job? I want to move bak to Ketchum...

By Kirk B.
From Boise, ID
Apr 7, 2013
belay slaving on some route I forgot the name of way right of Bloody Fingers.

Sun Valley area sucks, unless you're of "The beautiful People". Yeah, the Y has a climbing Wall. Nice one, too. EntrePrise built it. I did all the countertops there, so we got around.
The Sawtooths are The Real Deal. Sweet stone there. World Class to choss, with everything in between.
The Finger of Fate! oh, my. Dig it.

By dave bingham
Apr 14, 2013

There is a fair bit of good climbing around Sun Valley/ central Idaho. My guide "Idaho Underground" covers seven or so areas within day-trip distance. Ask for it at your local climbing shop! Don't be put off by the "beautiful people" BS.

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Apr 15, 2013
Why I do it...

dave bingham wrote:
There is a fair bit of good climbing around Sun Valley/ central Idaho.

+1 to Dave for the effort in making the excellent Guide books for the City, Castles, and Idaho's Underground. I personally own like 5 different editions of the City of Rocks guide. Good stuff!

Is this first edition of the Castles the only one so far?

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Apr 15, 2013
The route in it's entirety.

The edition I have has a shot of the castle rock summit block 11d splitter. Not sure if mine's the newest one or not. I got it at rock city.

By grk10vq
Apr 15, 2013
. . .

kh- i think that guide is from 2004, the newest one is this 2008 edition.

it has nearly 200 more routes in it, i believe? excluded however, is the
ultra-classic, highly elusive Idaho Dung Heap.

Castle Rocks
Castle Rocks

By Jake Kay
From Jackson WY
Apr 16, 2013
nice

Thanks for all the responses. Just got back from a quick joshua tree trip and should be moving out to sun valley in a couple of weeks. Look forward to exploring the area. If anybody knows of an open room to rent that would be great also.

By Maurice Chaunders
May 10, 2013
Colombian Crack

What are you doing for work, Jake?

By michaela m
Mar 15, 2014

I'll be in Ketchum this week during the week only and would love to get outside (preferably to boulder) on Tues, Wed, or Thurs afternoon. But maybe there's too much snow for that? I've been fooled by the east coast into thinking that bouldering season is in full swing.