Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Post Awesome Trad Movies Here
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 7 of 21.  <<First   <Prev   5  6  7  8  9   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Administrator
Nov 17, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Taylor Ogden wrote:
The Quarryman vid seems more like a video resume for a stunt man, rather than an actual climb. "Here's a few examples of the different stunts I can do." He pulled all sorts of weird shenanigans to send that thing.


That vid made my gooch hurt. Who else wanted to see a whipper from the "body stem" position?
Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,182 points
Nov 18, 2012
Fun stuff... Now I really wish the rain would stop... gary ohm
From Paso Robles
Joined Jul 26, 2010
1 points
Nov 18, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: You stay away from mah pig!
Yeah, the movement alone makes that Quarryman video trad-worthy! One thing, I remember that the route recently saw a rare repeat (can't remember by whom), and it is supposedly a very solid 8a/5.13b, so, the youtube description of it as 11d is just wrong (as well as the fact that it gets an E-grade; how does a sport line get an E-rating?). camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Joined Jun 27, 2006
1,369 points
Nov 18, 2012
camhead wrote:
Yeah, the movement alone makes that Quarryman video trad-worthy! One thing, I remember that the route recently saw a rare repeat (can't remember by whom), and it is supposedly a very solid 8a/5.13b, so, the youtube description of it as 11d is just wrong (as well as the fact that it gets an E-grade; how does a sport line get an E-rating?).


In the movie there's a little line saying "E8 7a" as he starts off. The 11d rating is probably a mistranslation -- French sport 7a is about Yosemite 11d. This climb is apparently British 7a, which is about French 8a.
JaredG
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 16, 2011
0 points
Nov 18, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
One thing about the Quarryman video. Creed? Really? Keep the sound off. Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,577 points
Nov 20, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: tanuki
I don't think this one has been posted yet...

#
NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Joined Dec 6, 2009
71 points
Nov 26, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: tanuki
alpine / trad / awesome!

NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Joined Dec 6, 2009
71 points
Nov 27, 2012
Really liked the last one. Don't know if this has been posted yet.

Andrew.Stegs
Joined Dec 4, 2009
0 points
Dec 1, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: the frozen topout during a winter ascent
It's nothing flashy, but here is a down and dirty off-width video.

Nick Zmyewski
From Newark, Delaware
Joined Jun 2, 2011
132 points
Dec 1, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: tanuki
NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Joined Dec 6, 2009
71 points
Dec 2, 2012
>
That was great. Maybe not so much for the climbing, but for the adventure. This video highlights something I am always wrestling with. I am all for reducing carbon footprint, and minimalist this and that, but the reality is that much of what we do today is absolutely pinned on technology, which in turn is pinned on a carbon footprint at some level. Maybe this would be a good start to another thread discussion.
What trailers would these guys have had to have to make this work? How much more water should they have had? I'm thinking double.... This was pretty epic to me. In the climbing world we usually see epics revolving around cold and ice. This one was heat driven...

I can't wait to see the video of them trying it again and learn what changes they made in their gear.
Thanks for the video:)
gary ohm
From Paso Robles
Joined Jul 26, 2010
1 points
Dec 2, 2012
It's nothing flashy, but here is a down and dirty off-width video.
>
That just looked painful!! Nice climb.
gary ohm
From Paso Robles
Joined Jul 26, 2010
1 points
Dec 2, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my...
gary ohm wrote:
That just looked painful!! Nice climb.


Like the tape on the wrists of the long sleeve shirt, and no tape on the hands? Boss
willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Joined Jul 20, 2010
42 points
Dec 2, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: On top of Hitchcock Pinnacle.
Quarryman! Killer tights, killerer tunes Steven Groetken
From Durango, CO
Joined Sep 30, 2012
388 points
Dec 2, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
Here's a video I made of Patrick climbing Squat in Vedauwoo. Don't know if it qualifies as awesome, but Patrick & the route are so figured I'd post up:
Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Joined Mar 6, 2006
2,606 points
Dec 2, 2012
Nick Zmyewski wrote:
It's nothing flashy, but here is a down and dirty off-width video.


Like watching paint dry.
JCM
From Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 9, 2008
44 points
Dec 2, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: tanuki
Nick Stayner wrote:
Here's a video I made of Patrick climbing Squat in Vedauwoo. Don't know if it qualifies as awesome, but Patrick & the route are so figured I'd post up


very cool!
NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Joined Dec 6, 2009
71 points
Dec 3, 2012
gary ohm wrote:
That was great. Maybe not so much for the climbing, but for the adventure. This video highlights something I am always wrestling with. I am all for reducing carbon footprint, and minimalist this and that, but the reality is that much of what we do today is absolutely pinned on technology, which in turn is pinned on a carbon footprint at some level. Maybe this would be a good start to another thread discussion. What trailers would these guys have had to have to make this work? How much more water should they have had? I'm thinking double.... This was pretty epic to me. In the climbing world we usually see epics revolving around cold and ice. This one was heat driven... I can't wait to see the video of them trying it again and learn what changes they made in their gear. Thanks for the video:)


Yeah pretty cool, but one could possible argue that the destruction of the trailer wheels negates their low carbon foot print. Those looked like great grocery store trailers but they didn't stand a chance out there.

That said the idea of combining bikepacking with climbing is pretty cool. I can't see anyway they could have even moved with twice as much water. In the SW it's always going to be about heat and water. Seems like this trip would be way more doable in cooler months. Better to carry some warm clothes and less water.

As for the trailers maybe one of these bobgear.com/yak would work better.
Tim McCabe
Joined Oct 15, 2006
156 points
Administrator
Dec 11, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,182 points
Administrator
Dec 11, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Taylor Ogden wrote:
The Quarryman vid seems more like a video resume for a stunt man, rather than an actual climb. "Here's a few examples of the different stunts I can do." He pulled all sorts of weird shenanigans to send that thing.


This guy though...

Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,182 points
Dec 12, 2012


An obscure crag with some amazing climbing.
Dbang
Joined Dec 12, 2012
0 points
Administrator
Dec 12, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
John Marsella wrote:
Glad to see this guy pulling on bushes. This justifies my use of the tactic.


Wait, living things don't count as holds? Half my tick list is a lie. Now it's reallllly sad. I too have never been greeted by livestock upon topping out. I'm starting to believe I have no idea what I'm doing.

I happened upon these last night when I was looking up WC Heliums. I had no idea even the smallest ones were still over 10kn. Awesome. And you're welcome.
Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,182 points
Dec 13, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Epic free solo with a pack on


pretty entertaining and inspiring!
Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Joined May 4, 2011
700 points
Dec 13, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
>
Pretty awesome. Thanks for posting.
Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Joined Mar 6, 2006
2,606 points
Dec 22, 2012



"Spicy Times" !!!!

Great video.
paul y.
Joined Sep 26, 2011
11 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 7 of 21.  <<First   <Prev   5  6  7  8  9   Next>   Last>>

The Definitive
Climbing Resource

Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run

Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps

Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes

Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!